The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I just have to say I'm very, very proud of all of you for not watching/rating Zoolander 2 on here.

my brother saw it, for some reason, and said it is literally the worst movie he's ever seen. radio silence throughout the theater too, he said. one or two laughs

not sure why he went tbh

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

Yeah he is awesome.  Recently finished up Boardwalk Empire. Been meaning to watch Take Shelter for awhile now

I watched the first two seasons of BE, and just haven't got to the rest yet. Really enjoyed it, just sort of forgot about it. Have season 3 sitting unwrapped on my shelf for 2 years now <_<

As for Take Shelter, get on that. Watched it for the first time a year or so ago, and it quickly vaulted into my top 5 favorite films. Although Starship Troopers and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are also on that list...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Yeah he is awesome.  Recently finished up Boardwalk Empire. Been meaning to watch Take Shelter for awhile now

What did you think of the final season? I loved that show, but hated how the last season was so rushed and felt they could have done more with Luciano and Capones stories. 

4 hours ago, Monty said:

I watched the first two seasons of BE, and just haven't got to the rest yet. Really enjoyed it, just sort of forgot about it. Have season 3 sitting unwrapped on my shelf for 2 years now <_<

As for Take Shelter, get on that. Watched it for the first time a year or so ago, and it quickly vaulted into my top 5 favorite films. Although Starship Troopers and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are also on that list...

Having starship troopers on your list only makes you more credible.

22 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I would totally recommend watching Take Shelter, Fantastic movie, Big Michael Shannon fan, if you like him I'd also recommend the films Bug & Shotgun Stories. Both are great.

Love

New Netflix series, created by Judd Apatow and Paul Rust, starring Rust and "Community" actress Gillian Jacobs.

I really, really wanted to like this. There were some bright spots, and it was well acted by Rust and Jacobs. However, after finishing it yesterday, it just feels like another Apatow comedy, in the same vane as Funny People. Same in the sense that the leading characters are unlikable at times and funny at other times. You know, just like IRL.

That's what Apatow's comedies are now. Very predicatable and far too long. As soon as it was finished, my first thought was, "I bet if Apatow had a do over,  he would have loved for Funny People to be a 10 episode season. That way, people wouldn't have noticed how sh*tty it actually was."

And that's what Love is. A few bright spots, but ultimately another boring Apatow joint.

Edited by Monty

On 2/19/2016 at 3:29 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

What did you think of the final season? I loved that show, but hated how the last season was so rushed and felt they could have done more with Luciano and Capones stories. 

Yeah, I felt the same way.   I wasn't as invested in the show after Jimmy Darmody and Richard Harrow were offed. 

23 hours ago, Whatthepuck said:

I would totally recommend watching Take Shelter, Fantastic movie, Big Michael Shannon fan, if you like him I'd also recommend the films Bug & Shotgun Stories. Both are great.

Ack another movie I've been meaning to watch for quite awhile now (Bug).  Big William Friedkin fan (Sorcerer is kick ass).

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

Finally watched We Need To Talk About Kevin. Read the book last summer, but this still managed to draw me in instantly and hold my attention straight through despite knowing the plot. Very well made movie. But so damn intense. I couldn't stop fidgeting and wound up reorganizing my record collection while it played at 1am. Both the book and the film have to be one of the best multi-layered psychological/character studies in recent memory imo.

About the only knock on it is, much as I love him as an actor, John C Reilly seemed miscast as the dad. It's just impossible to make that guy look young. The early scenes, where he's supposed to be in his 20s I think, came off awkwardly. It's like they said "we'll put a toque on him!" and just started shooting. But, minor quibble. 8.5/10

also - Kingsman Secret Service - sillynotinagoodwaybutSamJacksonwasamusing/10

x files (2016 season): 4.5/10

good characters, one episode i really liked because of its intentional cheese factor and parody. the rest was just too much for me. the appeal for the original series, for me, was always the idea of the unknown. the fear of the possibility of this or that being true. things being questioned and all of that.

here, you have in-your-face kitsch levels of "it's happening!" - i could not stand that. the overbearing terrorist episode, Duchovny's horrible acting, and Carter's godawful dialogue? hard to find things to like. honestly, the final episode is, by far, the worst series finale I have ever seen. if they add on another movie or season, then i pray Carter takes a George Lucas role and just lets other people handle the creative work

I also found it interest and terrible how so much of the dramatic tension of the episode revolved around Scully working with some scientist named "who gives a sh-t" or also named, hilariously, "Einstein." Mulder had like 10 lines in the entire episode. some of the best moments of the original run were the dramatic and romantic tension between Scully and Mulder. did the two of them even speak to each other in this conclusion? 2 lines, maybe?

STUUUUUUUUPID.

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1