The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

This is what worries me about watching comedies. I hate going to watch a comedy in the theatres because I find that people in groups with their friends tend to laugh more at the movie then it really deserves. My wife and I remember two instances of this. Once when we saw Nacho Libre, and it's like people are getting ready to laugh at jokes that inevitably are not as funny then expected. The second is when we watched the first Anchorman (which I like). However, people in the theatre were clearly ready for the punchline of jokes that hadn't even been setup yet. Not saying this is the case with you and your friends, but I find that things are funnier when you go with a group of people, because you don't want to be that one guy that finds the joke less humorous then those around you.

Yeah I get that, but it wasn't like that at all when I went. I've been to a bunch of movies with friends and sometimes I'm the only one that's laughing. We just go together and during the movie don't really pay attention to one another, except for maybe a side comment here or there.

I just really hate it when there's a group of girls at a movie or when 2 or more women go to a movie together. For some reason, I don't know why, they seem to make the most noise at a movie. Always laughing extra hard, making random comments aloud, and constantly talking with their friends somewhat loudly. Never have I experienced this with a group of guys, including me.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

Yeah I get that, but it wasn't like that at all when I went. I've been to a bunch of movies with friends and sometimes I'm the only one that's laughing. We just go together and during the movie don't really pay attention to one another, except for maybe a side comment here or there.

I just really hate it when there's a group of girls at a movie or when 2 or more women go to a movie together. For some reason, I don't know why, they seem to make the most noise at a movie. Always laughing extra hard, making random comments aloud, and constantly talking with their friends somewhat loudly. Never have I experienced this with a group of guys, including me.

This happened when I went to see Achorman 2. May have something to do with why I gave the movie a 2/10. They laughed at everything, and not just a chuckle, full on boisterous cackling. Found it irritating and possibly didn't find the jokes as funny simply because this group was so over the top.

Aside from the odd thing here and there, girls tend to make what used to be enjoyable, seemingly unbearable.

Mama - 2/10 This film did nothing for me. I do enjoy horror films and scary movies that do not rely on gore to scare the viewer (see: The Orphanage). However, this was just ridiculous. Not ridiculous like "This would never happen." It's a movie, and a horror film (sort of) at that. No, this was just bad writing, plot holes left unplugged, and a stupid "spector." The one positive is that the house seemed well built.

This is what worries me about watching comedies. I hate going to watch a comedy in the theatres because I find that people in groups with their friends tend to laugh more at the movie then it really deserves. My wife and I remember two instances of this. Once when we saw Nacho Libre, and it's like people are getting ready to laugh at jokes that inevitably are not as funny then expected. The second is when we watched the first Anchorman (which I like). However, people in the theatre were clearly ready for the punchline of jokes that hadn't even been setup yet. Not saying this is the case with you and your friends, but I find that things are funnier when you go with a group of people, because you don't want to be that one guy that finds the joke less humorous then those around you.

I remember going to see School of Rock with a bunch of friends. Myself and one of my friends were just HOWLING with laughter. For some reason on that night in that setting with that blood alcohol content...it hit all the right notes. We obviously we're enjoying it more than anyone else in the theater.

Another time, watching Despicable Me in the theater, a friend of mine was literally in tears for long stretches. It made me laugh more than I normally would...but is that a bad thing?

Sure, the theater experience may make it hard to rate a movie accurately on CDC, but who cares? Isn't the point to have as much fun with a movie as possible?

I'm getting worried about ya, Monty.

It made me laugh more than I normally would...but is that a bad thing?

Absolutely not. I was more commenting on going to watch a movie in the theatre (ie: Anchorman) and having a groups of people ruin the experience for me because they have already decided prior to the joke coming that it is funny. I don't mind sitting at home and laughing with my buddy when I watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I do mind watching it with about 20 other people who are laughing hysterically before something has happened. That's what I was getting at. It may be an odd pet peeve, but it's something that has actually ruined watching movies a few times for me and my wife.

Absolutely not. I was more commenting on going to watch a movie in the theatre (ie: Anchorman) and having a groups of people ruin the experience for me because they have already decided prior to the joke coming that it is funny. I don't mind sitting at home and laughing with my buddy when I watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I do mind watching it with about 20 other people who are laughing hysterically before something has happened. That's what I was getting at. It may be an odd pet peeve, but it's something that has actually ruined watching movies a few times for me and my wife.

That's why I don't watch comedies in the theatre lul

Non Stop - 7.5/10

Pretty good for what it was, a taut little action-thriller. Several nice twists, uber cheesy ending, etc etc. As I've said before though I'm partial to locked room mysteries.

Most definitely the most badass entry to Iceland since the Vikings.

Edited by The Bookie

Just finished the book, excited to watch the film!

P.S. I ain't going to hell ;)

Really is a good film, but you don't need me to tell you that. Some absolutely terrific scenes. One in particular, not a spoiler, where Chiwetel Ejiofor is hanging by his neck, standing on his toes for what seems like 2 very long, very quiet minutes, without any interruption. To me, just added to the absolute horror of time they were in. You know that in all actuality, he wouldn't have been clinging to his life like that for minutes, but more likely close to an hour without any aid or attention. A must watch, in my opinion.

Anchorman 2 - 6/10

I loved the first Anchorman, but this was too full of cameos and call-backs to stand on its own. It's also the worst edited major studio film in recent memory.

Pros:

-The even crazier news team fight was the stupidest thing I've seen in a movie in years, but I couldn't stop laughing

-Farrell's claims that he's "full blown Mexican"

-Champ referring to different animals as "chicken of the cave/railyard"

-Brick's and Kristin Wiig's relationship

Cons:

-Everything else. Especially the extremely lazy and tired black jokes.

just watched anchorman 2 ... liked it a lot .. my wife and i laughed so hard at certain parts that we were crying .. is it an academy award nominee ?? haha no ... but if you want to have a good laugh it is very stupid and funny .. i give it an 8 / 10 ... i love how commited these guys are .. especially will ferrell ... one of the things i thought was a bit crap was the kid who played his son ..

300: Rise of an Empire: It hasn't been getting great reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's mostly just an action flick with a lot of gratuitous violence and a fair share of nudity. If you're expecting a deep plot, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for an entertaining action flick to wile away an afternoon with, then you'll probably like this movie.