The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

the babadook: 6/10. had high hopes because of the great trailer, but the movie doesn't live up to it for me. pretty good, but nothing special.

I warned not to get hopes up! but thanks for the heads up I didn't realize it was out already. Did you just watch it? The only version I see kicking around was uploaded 5hrs ago.

might give it a shot after the game later if I'm not too tired

I warned not to get hopes up! but thanks for the heads up I didn't realize it was out already. Did you just watch it? The only version I see kicking around was uploaded 5hrs ago.

might give it a shot after the game later if I'm not too tired

Watched it on Halloween, actually. Grabbed it from a bay of pirates, the.

My friend liked it, and I've read a lot of stuff on it since then that basically just confirms that it's a polarizing movie. You may like it! Worth a watch.

but...why?

the visuals and atmosphere, mostly. its kind of ironic, too, since Spielberg said he used more stripped down techniques to try to recreate an 'old footage feel' or something, and not make it a glorification. also makes sense why i like the Tarantino movie too. Tarantino loves SPR and i think emulated some of the techniques for his atmosphere too. again this creates irony, since Tarantino also used some extremely good looking (or strange looking) people for almost fetishistic effect

but goddamn, do i love the way SPR looks. i don't find the opening and closing family scenes touching, and i don't really care for the plot itself. hell, i don't even really care about the characters (except Hanks, because Hanks is the uncle I wish I had). but i loooove the way the movie 'feels.' yeah, it's so typically Hollywood Spielberg, but this time it works for me

and it's so typical of him because he works with the same crew so often. Janusz Kaminski is his cinematographer who he works with almost every movie, and when Kaminski is on his game i think he's got a phenomenal eye and sense of atmosphere. great example of this, if not SPV, is the Diving Bell and the Butterfly. the story makes Diving Bell totally engaging and emotional, but the visuals take it to the next level to TOP TIER MOVIE categorization, like 10/10 range

but sometimes Kaminski and Spielberg get into this weird groove where I imagine they're just licking each others tears and reciting sentimental fiction to each other. War Horse, for example. this is a perfect example of abusing similar atmospheric techniques to boost emotional response. SPR touches on this occasionally, but the actual war scenes save it from going into the deep end, i think

Janusz Kaminski is his cinematographer who he works with almost every movie, and when Kaminski is on his game i think he's got a phenomenal eye and sense of atmosphere. great example of this, if not SPV, is the Diving Bell and the Butterfly. the story makes Diving Bell totally engaging and emotional, but the visuals take it to the next level to TOP TIER MOVIE categorization, like 10/10 range

Kaminski's cinematography on "Cool As Ice" was breathtaking.

no reviews for Interstellar yet? i thought that woulda been a movie CDC'ers flock to on opening night. dropped to 71% on RT--his career low.

Will probably watch it for free on the interwebs whenever that's possible. Really have no interest in watching it after what's been said about it.

next Friday for me. Are you planning on watching Nightcrawler?

(yes I am evangelical about it)

yah ill check out nightcrawler for sure. i think i'm doing Birdman tomorrow. but nightcrawler after that i think. then Interstellar--unless I can find Foxcatcher sooner.

honestly, so many good (looking) movies coming out

yah ill check out nightcrawler for sure. i think i'm doing Birdman tomorrow. but nightcrawler after that i think. then Interstellar--unless I can find Foxcatcher sooner.

honestly, so many good (looking) movies coming out

totally agree, another reason to appreciate summer being over.

Has Birdman or Foxcatcher visited bay of pirates, the? I assume that's what you meant by "find"

Has Birdman or Foxcatcher visited bay of pirates, the? I assume that's what you meant by "find"

Foxcatcher isn't in theaters yet. Birdman is, but that'd be your only option for viewing it for the time being.

nah, nothing seems to be leaking yet. except ninja turtles and the new planet of the apes

birdman's at my local theater. i'm so excited to watch foxcatcher i'd probably pay for that one too

nah, nothing seems to be leaking yet. except ninja turtles and the new planet of the apes

birdman's at my local theater. i'm so excited to watch foxcatcher i'd probably pay for that one too

Foxcatcher isn't in theaters yet. Birdman is, but that'd be your only option for viewing it for the time being.

Sometimes screener copies come out much earlier than wide releases for dramas though