The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Sometimes screener copies come out much earlier than wide releases for dramas though

ya. i think last year the floodgates opened pretty early (a few leaks in sept/oct), but i dunno. hopefully before december all the goods start leaking

i wonder why Boyhood leaked in August. that's probably the earliest I've ever seen for a hyped drama

Just saw Interstellar................. and I give it a 9/10

For those of you planning on streaming it, don't. That will ruin half of the movie experience right there. The visuals were ABSOLUTELY stunning and really contributed to the vastness of space that I felt watching. Zimmer did a great job with the score, especially when silence was used to evoke this feeling of emptiness in space.

I understand the critiques with it, it was a very very ambitious film, and Nolan incorporated so much, but all of this is interconnected in a way that I won't explain to avoid ruining anything.

You'll feel every feeling watching this film, it was painfully sad at times, and also humorous, but overall it perfectly embodied this idea of humanity and what we have yet to explore, being such an insignificant part of this galaxy. I left feeling completely trivial, and optimistic for what has not been discovered yet.

I don't know if any of this is even coherent, this was just such a tremendous film, that I haven't even wrapped my head around it yet.

Just watch it.

7.5 for Mister Babadook. The reviews comparing it to Kubrick make more (misguided) sense now. It's mainly the lead actress's performance, some of the best horror acting since Nicholson in the Shining. The movie itself was alright, stylish, flashes of brilliance, steady creepy tone, a few jump scares. Bit of a mess of an ending. My favorite scenes were her sleep depped late night tv hallucinations.

Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): 9/10

Has there ever been a better subtitle than that?

Spoiler free comments.

This movie is BEAUTIFULLY shot. So if some of you artsy, "pretentious" types are reading this and thinking about checking out the upcoming leak, I would say it's actually not exactly burning $13 to go catch it at the theater. It is an EEEEEEXTREMELY cinematic movie. You will be made SUPER aware of all the technical stuff going on. From the soundtrack to the camera work, it's all very much in your face (and very nicely done). The first hour or so is basically an illusion of one very, very, very long shot. Most of the film is divided up into like 3 different shots, and that's it. Of course it's more, but that's just the trick that's being pulled

So technically speaking, it's DEFINITELY a noteworthy film. the acting was great, i thought. Michael Keaton and Edward Norton both fantastic.

Content-wise, it's not nearly as 'action-y' as the trailer suggests. And there's some irony in that, because the movie is very much deals with the horrendous comic book/action movie industry infringing on 'art' -- i wouldn't say its premise is entirely unique (Charlie Kaufman has mined this territory once or twice), but when it's framed in an anti-comic book movie sort of way, i think it works

there's a lot of heady stuff in this movie, but one scene in particular really stuck out to me. for those who are going to see it: pay attention to the dialogue being spoken/yelled in the background during the beautiful scene where Keaton goes into that brightly lit liquor store to buy his booze. those lines being yelled out are ones that pretty much explain it all, i think

Edited by GLASSJAW

Interstellar 5/10

I don't know if the sound editing was terrible, or if the theatre I saw it in just had horrible acoustics, but I missed nearly a third of what was being said throughout the movie. The plot seemed all over the place, and it suffered from some major pacing issues. That said the acting was pretty good (McConaughey does his usual raspy southern draaaaaaaaaaawl for much of the movie, but still turns in a solid performance) and the visuals, while not breathtaking, were still fairly impressive.

Its not something I'm clamoring to re-watch, but I wasn't sitting in the theatre praying for it to be over either. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this was a pretty "meh" experience for me.

Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): 9/10

Has there ever been a better subtitle than that?

Spoiler free comments.

This movie is BEAUTIFULLY shot. So if some of you artsy, "pretentious" types are reading this and thinking about checking out the upcoming leak, I would say it's actually not exactly burning $13 to go catch it at the theater. It is an EEEEEEXTREMELY cinematic movie. You will be made SUPER aware of all the technical stuff going on. From the soundtrack to the camera work, it's all very much in your face (and very nicely done). The first hour or so is basically an illusion of one very, very, very long shot. Most of the film is divided up into like 3 different shots, and that's it. Of course it's more, but that's just the trick that's being pulled

So technically speaking, it's DEFINITELY a noteworthy film. the acting was great, i thought. Michael Keaton and Edward Norton both fantastic.

Content-wise, it's not nearly as 'action-y' as the trailer suggests. And there's some irony in that, because the movie is very much deals with the horrendous comic book/action movie industry infringing on 'art' -- i wouldn't say its premise is entirely unique (Charlie Kaufman has mined this territory once or twice), but when it's framed in an anti-comic book movie sort of way, i think it works

there's a lot of heady stuff in this movie, but one scene in particular really stuck out to me. for those who are going to see it: pay attention to the dialogue being spoken/yelled in the background during the beautiful scene where Keaton goes into that brightly lit liquor store to buy his booze. those lines being yelled out are ones that pretty much explain it all, i think

I waited all summer for this one, but none of my local theaters are screening it. Crying right now.

Edited by Spoderman

the wild and wonderful whites of west virginia: 7/10

this is really a 0/10, since its basically making fun of a drug addicted, miserable hillbilly community in the truest form, but i don't care. it's entertaining and frequently shocking. documentary about the whitest of white trash

Edited by GLASSJAW

Interstellar 8.5/10

Pretty good. Interesting plot and though I couldn't fully wrap my head around every little detail it was fairly engaging. Good acting, visuals and sound. Also, the robot was funny.

Well his humour level WAS set to 95%

• Upvote 1

John Wick - 7.5/10

Was actively trying to avoid watching Interstellar. My personal choice was Nightcrawler, but a compromise was every person's second movie of choice, which was John Wick.

It was a fun watch. Would have been far better off picking this over Fury last weekend. Some of the best action sequences I've seen since.. well, ever. A more realistic take on the combat from the movie Equilibrium, with the much added benefit of it not being surrounded by the shitty movie that was Equilibrium.

Keanau Reeves was quite awesome. To the point where I'm wondering when I'll see him next. Not even joking.

Edge of Tomorrow: 8.5/10

Loved it aside from the ending. Wouldn't compare any of it to the Terminator aside from Emily Blunt's banging physique. It maintained a light hearted action movie tone without getting comical, dialogue was sharp and the execution of the premise is what makes it stand out

I'd say its a mixture of Looper, Ghost Protocol and Groundhog Day

edit: really interesting to see the spread in reviews to Interstellar.

Edited by FramingDragon

Birdman was very, very good, a rare high expectation movie that lives up. 9/10.

Pulsing with so much life, in every frame and every line. The acting was perfect all around, even Zack Galifianakis (I can't tell if his stuttered lines were intentional or accidental and were kept in because they worked so well). If I had a complaint, I wasn't so big on the fantasy elements - I liked the small touches earlier, but they went a bit far towards the end. On the flipside the music was better than I would expect, I'm a sucker for that free jazz drumming.

For sure one of my favorites of the year.