The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Remembrance day coming up, tell me of your favourite war films. Need something new to watch

Or, instead of a movie, you could go all out and watch 'Band of Brothers'.

Otherwise, I would suggest 'Black Book' from director Paul Verhoeven. Terrific foreign film.

I'm going to assert that The Pacific was a better structured and more visceral mini series than Band of Brothers. That said, I love both. Just wish more appreciated the beauty of the Pacific. Other war things I love:

Generation Kill

Letters from Iwo Jima

Thin Red Line

Hurt Locker

Jar Head

Rescue Dawn

Der Untergang

My latest addition: A Most Wanted Man

I'm going to assert that The Pacific was a better structured and more visceral mini series than Band of Brothers. That said, I love both. Just wish more appreciated the beauty of the Pacific. Other war things I love:

Generation Kill

Letters from Iwo Jima

Thin Red Line

Hurt Locker

Jar Head

Rescue Dawn

Der Untergang

My latest addition: A Most Wanted Man

Rescue Dawn was ruined by the freeze frame at the end. To me, nothing ruins movies more then the dredded freeze frame.

Unless it's Sleepaway Camp. Then it's amazing.

Edited by Monty

November + December = finally poised to watch some movies:

- Nightrcrawler (already saw it)

- Dumb and Dumber To or whatever it's called

- Hunger Games: Deathly Hallows Part 1 (<.<)

- Horrible Bosses 2

- Hobbit

- Night at the Museum

I'm forgetting one or two movies, this is just off the top of my head. That's a lot of fast food being smuggled into the theater.

Before Nightcrawler, could probably count on one hand how many films I've seen this year (Cap 2, Maleficent [was that this year?], GotG, don't remember anything else).

Edited by Mr. Ambien

bride of frankenstein 7.5/10. some really good parts, some weird parts. in the end, the bride herself stole the show in her 30 seconds of screen time. what a babe.

the babadook: 6/10. had high hopes because of the great trailer, but the movie doesn't live up to it for me. pretty good, but nothing special.

jazz: 8.5/10. this is the 7 or 8 part documentary series by sentimentalist Ken Burns about the history of jazz (i believe originally made for the American Masters PBS series). interesting, lots of great sound and visual clips.

oh, and on war movies. my favourites have already been mentioned (Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket), but for less common ones:

i always though The Killing Fields was good. doesn't get mentioned much on this subject, maybe because it's not action driven like a traditional war movie. but it's definitely worth seeing, and quite sobering IIRC. it's the true story about some photographer or journalist who got caught in Cambodia during that horrific slaughter by the Khmer Rouge (am I spelling that correctly?)

I haven't watched it in a few years, so I dunno if it holds up, but I remember being quite moved by it when I saw it.

other war dramas that I think are fantastic:

Goodbye, Children (Au Revoir Les Enfants). very, very, very good French movie about a boarding school during WW2. one of my all-time favourites

Night and Fog is a short documentary (35 minutes) that shows footage and discussion of the holocaust (filmed at the camps 10 years after liberation), with typical French pontification over top. but definitely worth watching. not one for monkey viewers, yet it's sort of a 'must see'

Grand Illusion and the Great Dictator are two must watches for hardcore film buffs

The Act of Killing is also a weird one. I know a few people around here have seen it. Easily one of the most bizarre docs I've seen. Trailer almost does it justice:

Edited by GLASSJAW