The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Big Hero 6- 8.5/10

The movie was really good! Disney did a good job with this one, only negatives I have are that the 3D was pretty subpar and it was a little too long. It was much more emotional than I expected and it had an all around good story. It would've been better if only there wasn't a scene or two that dragged on for a bit and made the movie feel boring at parts.

Watched it in DBox which helped make the experience more fun.

Edited by CanuckofSteel

Big Hero 6- 8.5/10

The movie was really good! Disney did a good job with this one, only negatives I have are that the 3D was pretty subpar and it was a little too long. It was much more emotional than I expected and it had an all around good story. It would've been better if only there wasn't a scene or two that dragged on for a bit and made the movie feel boring at parts.

Watched it in DBox which helped make the experience more fun.

i agree. just came back from big hero 6. this movie was probably the surprise movie of the year. i would actually put it right up there with guardians of the galaxy, for me, as all around great entertainment. great action, emotion, comedy

i'd give it a solid 9. there wasn't too much to complain about. there good storytelling, good pacing as far as action scenes go. i guess the aunt didn't really do a whole lot-- wasn't a much needed character, but i guess you need the parental figure

Birdman was very, very good, a rare high expectation movie that lives up. 9/10.

Pulsing with so much life, in every frame and every line. The acting was perfect all around, even Zack Galifianakis (I can't tell if his stuttered lines were intentional or accidental and were kept in because they worked so well). If I had a complaint, I wasn't so big on the fantasy elements - I liked the small touches earlier, but they went a bit far towards the end. On the flipside the music was better than I would expect, I'm a sucker for that free jazz drumming.

For sure one of my favorites of the year.

glad you enjoyed it, agreed on the music. very effective

if I am cheap and I decide to watch a leaked version, do you think it's going to hurt the movie a lot?

Also, had the pleasure of sitting by as Guardians of the Galaxy was being played on TV. Waste of my time/10. I am going to steer clear of every Marvel movie from now on.

if I am cheap and I decide to watch a leaked version, do you think it's going to hurt the movie a lot?

should be fine, if it's good quality, with a proper screen and speakers.

on the other hand, like I said it's a very vibrant film, pulsing and crackling - in particular a lot of the 'jokes' are subjective, so I liked hearing the little titters throughout the theater. it clearly was hitting everyone a little differently. plus hearing the drum score echo.

Fury- 9/10

I thought it was awesome, also Remembrance Day was the perfect day to watch it. I liked how gritty and brutal the movie was, it didn't in anyway glorify war and showed how it would most likely be which I really liked. As I was going to the movie I thought for sure I would fall asleep while watching it because I was tired but it was the complete opposite. The movie had some funny moments unexpectedly which were good, but it's tense moments were very well done to me.

It lost a point because I didn't really like the way the movie ended, but overall it's a solid war movie.

The House Bunny - 5/10

I had seen this years ago and really found it hilarious. (It's incredibly stupid...but I guess I just like Anna Faris.) But it wasn't nearly as funny the second time around a few years later. Still had some laughs though.

Don't know how to rate Interstellar, worth a one time watch.

Saw Nightcrawler this evening and thought that Gyllenhaal's performance matched Rosamund Pike's. I liked how the cognitive intelligence of the character came out without the emotional intelligence. Some reviewers thought the film was some damning criticism of media's drive for gruesome stories. To me, that was just a vessel to highlight the character. It wasn't a story about media, it was a story about an individual's personality, and I thought Gyllenhaal did a great job with the character, even though the plot was just 'good' (8.5/10). Would watch again.

WHERE'S THE BOYHOOD REVIEW, PUNK

Bahaha. Man I know I'm going to love it, so I'm saving myself for when I'm really in the mood.

I've been in Berkeley for the last week and a bit and it is still playing in theatres here (they have three ancient theatres all within 30 seconds of each other). I might save it for one of my last nights here, or just wait until I get back to Canada where I'll be able to pause and think.

Edited by Down by the River

Don't know how to rate Interstellar, worth a one time watch.

Saw Nightcrawler this evening and thought that Gyllenhaal's performance matched Rosamund Pike's. I liked how the cognitive intelligence of the character came out without the emotional intelligence. Some reviewers thought the film was some damning criticism of media's drive for gruesome stories. To me, that was just a vessel to highlight the character. It wasn't a story about media, it was a story about an individual's personality, and I thought Gyllenhaal did a great job with the character, even though the plot was just 'good' (8.5/10). Would watch again.

come on, he well surpassed her

So, I've decided that whenever I want to rate a television show, I'm going to come here to do it. I don't think a thread dedicated to rating television shows would garner enough interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garfunkel and Oates - 1.5/10

I sort of reviewed this a few pages back, but it was an incredibly short review about how awful it is. Well, after watching all the episodes now, I feel as though I can give it a fair enough rating; and the fact that I actually sat through the entire season, means that I legitimately gave it a chance.

So, for those of you who aren't aware, the Garfunkel and Oates female comedy/singing duel first came out, I believe, in 2007 on Youtube. Garfunkel (Riki Lindhome) and Oates (Kate Micucci) star as themselves, just living out their daily life in Los Angeles (I think).

Now, it is incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to watch it without the inevitable comparison to Flight of the Conchords. For those of you who have not seen FOTC, it followed Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement as a New Zealand singing duo, who have immigrated to New York City to try and make it in the music industry. The great thing about FOTC, was that in the shows reality, they were absolutely terrible musicians; but when the show did break to a fantasy musical number, you were absolutely floored by not only how talented Bret and Jemaine were as musicians, but also how incredibly funny and clever their lyrics were, nailing whatever genre they were poking fun at.

In Garfunkel and Oates, you're not quite sure what the purpose or direction of the show is. Riki and Kate star as a fictionalized version of themselves. So you do follow them to comedy clubs, once in a while, and you get the sense that they are actually semi-popular (just like in real life). So, when the show cuts to the duo's "fantasy numbers" (like in Flight of the Conchords), there really isn't any special about it, except that you get to hear one of their songs; which, I might add, are not funny either.

And this is where the show really misfires. I'm not quite sure if I'm the intended audience, or if the show is just genuinely terrible. I'm inclined to think that it is the latter, due to the fact that I love musical comedy (FOTC, Weird Al' circa 1980) and the fact that I decided to stick out the entire season and watch all 8 episodes. There's just very little humour going on here. I may have laughed in 2 episodes, which happened to have quest starred TJ Miller (Silicon Valley, etc) and then Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley, Portlandia); however, I'm also inclined to think there was forced laughter there, because I really like both comedians.

As for the acting/comedic talents of Riki and Kate, the two are polar opposites. Riki is the "sexy one" (yeah, I know) who has more relationship problems, while Kate acts and is written to mirror her appearance, which is that of a child who has never grown up. Riki Lindhome is absolutely brutal in her role. Perhaps this is because she is written (she and Kate write the show) to be the "sexy one". I have a difficult time believing she is like this is real life, as she is not very attractive; so channeling stereotypical "pretty girl" problems is not something I believe she knows how to do. Because of this, she then has to "act" the part, and you see just how terrible of an actress she actually is. She is definitely the dead weight between the two.

Considering how awful the writting is on the show, Kate Micucci does a very good job with her role. Again, she's not really funny, but she is definitely doing her best to make her screen time watchable. I can definitely see her having a solid career on tv and in film as one of the friends (3rd/4th billing). Would be perfectly fine in supporting roles.

Maybe the show needs another season after getting it's feet wet; but I wouldn't bank on IFC taking another chance on this clunker.

Edited by Monty

Interstellar 8.5/10: A lot of my friends were saying it was one of the best movies they've ever seen. Overall it was excellent to watch, they clearly pulled a lot of elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Visually it was excellent and the plot was dramatic. The score was absolutely brilliant as well. However there were too many obvious flaws for me to consider it one of the greatest. I still gave it a good score though because it's definitely worth watching.

Edited by etsen3

Unrelated but nowhere else to post about this. I decided to get back into novels again by starting with easy reads. My time of piercings, teen angst, goth makeup and metal is long past but I picked up my first Chuck Palahniuk books today (Haunted and Lullaby). Interested to see how it'll turn out.

Haven't read Haunted, so can't say anything about it.

Read Lullaby over ten years ago. I remember being underwhelmed.

So, I've decided that whenever I want to rate a television show, I'm going to come here to do it. I don't think a thread dedicated to rating television shows would garner enough interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated but nowhere else to post about this. I decided to get back into novels again by starting with easy reads. My time of piercings, teen angst, goth makeup and metal is long past but I picked up my first Chuck Palahniuk books today (Haunted and Lullaby). Interested to see how it'll turn out.

Nice, the anything goes thread!

s.2 of Orange is the New Black 8/10

Haunted 9/10 (fav of CP's books)

had a cup of coffee earlier. used the christmas roast beans i got using a starbucks gift card.

coffee was very underwhelming and not all that flavourful unfortunately. maybe it was just a bad cup. but 5/10

the shortbread snowman cookie, on the other hand, i really enjoyed. 8/10. i am a sucker for shortbread, even if its covered in too much too sweet icing.

Edited by GLASSJAW