The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Watched The Newburgh Sting this weekend and I have to say, it was a bit of an eye-opener.

Basically, it's a doc that follows an FBI investigation into a terrorist plot in New York.

What's eye-opening about it is that the entire "operation" was instigated by an FBI informant. There is a ton of video and audio that make it obvious that the "terrorists" were coerced into plotting an attack with the promise of large sums of money.

Basically, it's a case of the FBI and Homeland Security wanting to give the impression that they're nipping these operations in the bud, but the truth is, they're the ones behind the operations in the first place.

This isn't to say that there haven't been actual successes, but it certainly brings all such stings into question.

Gone Girl - 6/10

Strange cast, none really known for being good actors. Rosamund Pike does well, but Affleck...not so much. Still, was good for the first 2/3 or so. But it ended up dragging on for far too long, and for an ending that was completely ridiculous.

Nightcrawler - 7.5/10

Somewhat similar underlying theme to Gone Girl, with a sociopath's ability to understand and use modern media in their favor. But this was a far more entertaining movie. Most of the performances weren't anything special (especially Rene Russo, who either can't act anymore or is completely mailing it in). But Jake is fantastic as the lead.

Gone Girl - 6/10

Strange cast, none really known for being good actors. Rosamund Pike does well, but Affleck...not so much. Still, was good for the first 2/3 or so. But it ended up dragging on for far too long, and for an ending that was completely ridiculous.

Nightcrawler - 7.5/10

Somewhat similar underlying theme to Gone Girl, with a sociopath's ability to understand and use modern media in their favor. But this was a far more entertaining movie. Most of the performances weren't anything special (especially Rene Russo, who either can't act anymore or is completely mailing it in). But Jake is fantastic as the lead.

I've always liked Rene Russo, but she's always been a completely forgettable actress. Her performances are nothing special.

I've always liked Rene Russo, but she's always been a completely forgettable actress. Her performances are nothing special.

Yeah...I guess she's just more likeable as the wise-cracking, fun-loving girl.

Although, I don't think she was terrible in earlier dramatic roles, like Ransom or Outbreak. But in Nightcrawler, she's noticeably bad.

Of course, she's in her sixties now, and didn't work a lick for 6 years (nothing released from 2005-2011), so it's not surprising if she lost a step.

Yeah...I guess she's just more likeable as the wise-cracking, fun-loving girl.

Although, I don't think she was terrible in earlier dramatic roles, like Ransom or Outbreak. But in Nightcrawler, she's noticeably bad.

Of course, she's in her sixties now, and didn't work a lick for 6 years (nothing released from 2005-2011), so it's not surprising if she lost a step.

Everything about Outbreak was a crime against humanity

American Sniper: 7.5/10

Question One: People really felt that movie was Oscar worthy? Bradley Cooper gave a really impressive performance? I have a longstanding and public mancrush on that guy (see air guitar to my display name on Jimmy Fallon as a more recent example of why); however, he was just 'good'. Not Oscar worthy.

Question Two: People really felt that movie was patriotic? A small minded Texas boy goes to war, neglects his family, has signs of PTSD, doesn't seem to enjoy life at home, and can't acceptably articulate why it is that he wants to be part of the war. He ends up getting shot in the end. The idea that this was some propaganda film seems to me like it came from people who were just desperate to get on their soap box and talk about how (1) America shouldn't be involved in other countries' problems, and (2) Hollywood is a proxy for military propaganda. Both of those statements may be true, but I didn't feel that this movie helped build the evidence for either of those two assertions.

Someone's inevitable counterpoint:

'But what about the soldier in the garage telling Kyle how much of a hero he was? Didn't you see the salute?'

Sure I saw the salute. Did you see how awkward Kyle was in accepting the thanks. It showed a soldier who, even when given the 'rewards' of service, couldn't properly accept them.

• Upvote 1

Question One: People really felt that movie was Oscar worthy? Bradley Cooper gave a really impressive performance? I have a longstanding and public mancrush on that guy (see air guitar to my display name on Jimmy Fallon as a more recent example of why); however, he was just 'good'. Not Oscar worthy.

Question Two: People really felt that movie was patriotic? A small minded Texas boy goes to war, neglects his family, has signs of PTSD, doesn't seem to enjoy life at home, and can't acceptably articulate why it is that he wants to be part of the war. He ends up getting shot in the end. The idea that this was some propaganda film seems to me like it came from people who were just desperate to get on their soap box and talk about how (1) America shouldn't be involved in other countries' problems, and (2) Hollywood is a proxy for military propaganda. Both of those statements may be true, but I didn't feel that this movie helped build the evidence for either of those two assertions.

'But what about the soldier in the garage telling Kyle how much of a hero he was? Didn't you see the salute?'

Sure I saw the salute. Did you see how awkward Kyle was in accepting the thanks. It showed a soldier who, even when given the 'rewards' of service, couldn't properly accept them.

Did you see the supposed Iraqis doing their best impression of scared barn animals incapable of doing anything but bleat like idiots? Or how about the Syrian sniper looking like a Pirates of the Caribbean extra that the Legend needs to beat in order to save the world? The "othering" in this film is about as archaic as it can get in modern cinema.

The movie didn't really focus on PTSD to the level people who enjoyed this movie claim it did, as if it was some central theme. It wasn't. I digress. I think the most harmful kind of propaganda is the kind that isn't outright obvious.

You didn't know who Beck was until Yeezus stole his thunder at an awards show. THAT is a crime against humanity.

I spent the whole day yesterday randomly asking people I knew if they knew who Beck was. I was the only one who didn't it seems....I really have no explanation for this one.

I spent the whole day yesterday randomly asking people I knew if they knew who Beck was. I was the only one who didn't it seems....I really have no explanation for this one.

Probably busy picking out fedoras and drinking Mountain Dew. ;)

Imitation Game: 9/10.

Even people not into history can get interested in the story (not just about WWII), and there's so much going on: the race to break Enigma, his chemistry with Keira Knightley's character, and Turing's personal struggles... the name of the film really fits in well with the story once you've watched it, and Benedict Cumberbatch really delivered the character's emotions well.

Favorite film that I've scene lately (out of Interstellar, Big Hero 6, Wild and American Sniper).

Did you see the supposed Iraqis doing their best impression of scared barn animals incapable of doing anything but bleat like idiots? Or how about the Syrian sniper looking like a Pirates of the Caribbean extra that the Legend needs to beat in order to save the world? The "othering" in this film is about as archaic as it can get in modern cinema.

The movie didn't really focus on PTSD to the level people who enjoyed this movie claim it did, as if it was some central theme. It wasn't. I digress. I think the most harmful kind of propaganda is the kind that isn't outright obvious.

So the movie can be criticized for being subtle about its propaganda but then also criticized for not being 'in-your-face' about other themes? Seems unfair to me. I actually thought the PTSD was emphasized in nearly every scene:

- Elevated resting heart rate

- Inattention

- Quick startle reflex to typically neutral stimuli

As for the portrayal of Iraqis, as mentioned explicitly in the film, Kyle's actions took place in a militarized area that contained either 'enemies' or people who didn't have the means to leave. It would be a mistake of the viewer to interpret this as being a generalization of all Iraqis.

• Upvote 1

So the movie can be criticized for being subtle about its propaganda but then also criticized for not being 'in-your-face' about other themes? Seems unfair to me. I actually thought the PTSD was emphasized in nearly every scene:

- Inattention

As for the portrayal of Iraqis, as mentioned explicitly in the film, Kyle's actions took place in a militarized area that contained either 'enemies' or people who didn't have the means to leave. It would be a mistake of the viewer to interpret this as being a generalization of all Iraqis.

AS was probably one of the worst films I watched in the last year.

While I am already overly critical of films, I am moreso for military/war films as my grandfather fought in WWII and my brother was in the military. So my expectations for how films should be handled are sky high.

Sniper was terrrible.

- Inattention

No I think the assertion that the movie focused entirely on PTSD is an inaccurate one, I am not criticizing the film for it, I am criticizing your opinion that that is what it was. I see it as an ode to an asshole who is in equal parts villified and respected in America so Eastwood took the safest route to offend the least number of people and PTSD is a good cover from being too politically critical.

I personally think you're overstating the prevalence of PTSD and the angle it was approached in. Chris Kyle in the movie was never regretful about the things that he did to the Iraqis, and that was never contemplated on. I don't expect a self-flagellating contemplation on the war but it's well expressed that all that matters to him and others is what happens to the soldiers even though there is a scene where a kid is tortured with a drill. The only humanity there is to be lost is when an American is hurt.

It is unfair to think of it as a "generalization of all Iraqis" but it was pretty offensive in its portrayal of anyone non-American, period. A good example of portraying unknown civilians with depth despite having little screen time is what Hurt Locker achieved, in situations identical to the ones in American Sniper.

Edited by FramingDragon

- Inattention

I agree about the PTSD thing being pretty clear in the movie, Kyle was obviously messed up, and I'm not even sure the PTSD stuff needs to be there: the supremely ironic fact that Kyle could survive the war only to get killed by a tormented survivor is about all the statement you need. But I do not like how the movie buys into Kyle's entire argument that his PTSD comes from his feeling that he wasn't able to kill enough Iraqis and save enough Americans. That is why he can't accept rewards: he didn't do enough. It's not that he did what he did, he wanted to do more. Are we to believe that? I personally don't: he was a liar and a bit of an emotional retard in the real world, so he was obviously messed up over something. But does the movie show THAT? no, not in my opinion

For me, personally, I just didn't like how it was a selective reading on a real story that tells a different tale. The "patriotism" (if that's the correct word), for me, is how the movie could have been a statement about how intellectually and emotionally deranged the soldier(s) is/was or could become, but instead it was just a very basic 'heroic quest' type story in regards to the war -- basically it lets Kyle off the hook for being the idiot he was

No I think the assertion that the movie focused entirely on PTSD is an inaccurate one, I am not criticizing the film for it, I am criticizing your opinion that that is what it was. I see it as an ode to an asshole who is in equal parts villified and respected in America so Eastwood took the safest route to offend the least number of people and PTSD is a good cover from being too politically critical.

I personally think you're overstating the prevalence of PTSD and the angle it was approached in. Chris Kyle in the movie was never regretful about the things that he did to the Iraqis, and that was never contemplated on. I don't expect a self-flagellating contemplation on the war but it's well expressed that all that matters to him and others is what happens to the soldiers even though there is a scene where a kid is tortured with a drill. The only humanity there is to be lost is when an American is hurt.

It is unfair to think of it as a "generalization of all Iraqis" but it was pretty offensive in its portrayal of anyone non-American, period. A good example of portraying unknown civilians with depth despite having little screen time is what Hurt Locker achieved, in situations identical to the ones in American Sniper.

I can't have a discussion with you about a film if you are going to misrepresent my opinion and then argue with this mischaracterization.

I can't have a discussion with you about a film if you are going to misrepresent my opinion and then argue with this mischaracterization.

What was your opinion then, in case I had misinterpreted it? Because from what I understood, you said this was the movie revolves around PTSD and the horrible stuff in war, thus it is strange to consider it to be propaganda in anyway. What I got from the movie was the things that troubled Chris Kyle the most was that he didn't do enough, not the things he actually did which were terrible on their own right.

What was your opinion then, in case I had misinterpreted it? Because from what I understood, you said this was the movie revolves around PTSD and the horrible stuff in war, thus it is strange to consider it to be propaganda in anyway. What I got from the movie was the things that troubled Chris Kyle the most was that he didn't do enough, not the things he actually did which were terrible on their own right.

I didn't realize that in my second post I had wrote about PTSD being in every scene. What I meant to say was 'every scene shot in America'. I don't think the movie was about PTSD (if it was, it failed, and my rating should be much lower). That's my fault.

I'll give a better description of my opinion later.

Not that I was planning on seeing it, but goddamn is Jupiter Ascending ever getting dumped on by the critics.

Probably the last time the Wachowskis get access to big daddy's credit card. Too bad. Can't say they've ever really blown me away, but the original Matrix and Cloud Atlas were decent, and I really appreciate their ambition. Feel like if they're allowed to keep swinging for the fences one of them will go out of the park.

Not that I was planning on seeing it, but goddamn is Jupiter Ascending ever getting dumped on by the critics.

Probably the last time the Wachowskis get access to big daddy's credit card. Too bad. Can't say they've ever really blown me away, but the original Matrix and Cloud Atlas were decent, and I really appreciate their ambition. Feel like if they're allowed to keep swinging for the fences one of them will go out of the park.

20M on the opening weekend. 170M budget. RIP Warner Bros.

Unless it's a hit overseas.