The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Top Five - ?????????/10

I think this is the movie Judd Apatow tried to make when he did Funny People, except that was dog crap. However, I'm really not quite sure how much better this is, either. It had a few "ok" moments; but otherwise, it just felt very empty.

I wouldn't say it's worth watching, but I wouldn't tell people to stay away from it either.

It's along the "Jack Nicholson in anything" route, but I always loved his performance in The Shining.

But if we're not talking about dramatic tour de force type performances, my favourite might be Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

Wanna know what grinds my gears? Movies where you have to constantly turn up the volume to hear dialogue, then constantly turn down the volume for the sound effects/soundtrack. Who thinks this is a good idea?

What movies have both of these problems?

Birdman

Pathetic crap sandwich that is all about ramming noses up the Academy's ass. And the Academy was stupid enough to buy it.

In an attempt to portray bad actors the actors just did bad acting throughout.

The alternate title was the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance. I wish I was ignorant to the existence of this movie.

• Upvote 1

What movies have both of these problems?

Any Christopher Nolan movie and several sci-fi/action movies (can't recall names off the top of me head, but Batman Begins was what prompted the mini-rant).

I have two TVs, both cost less than a grand, and no speakers, so that may be playing a role. Mr. Ambien said it could be a downconversion problem (going from Dolby 5.1 to stereo).

Any Christopher Nolan movie and several sci-fi/action movies (can't recall names off the top of me head, but Batman Begins was what prompted the mini-rant).

I have two TVs, both cost less than a grand, and no speakers, so that may be playing a role. Mr. Ambien said it could be a downconversion problem (going from Dolby 5.1 to stereo).

Trust me, the speakers IS the problem. Had "out of the box" speakers for 11 years, and I thought they were decent. Upgraded last winter big time and I'm hearing things I didn't know were there. Owned some music for 25 years and I was hearing things I hadn't noticed before because my speakers weren't good enough. Same with movies that I own.

Birdman

Pathetic crap sandwich that is all about ramming noses up the Academy's ass. And the Academy was stupid enough to buy it.

The alternate title was the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance. I wish I was ignorant to the existence of this movie.

Boyhood was better

Birdman

ridiculous. this movie is pure genius, easy 10/10

Trust me, the speakers IS the problem. Had "out of the box" speakers for 11 years, and I thought they were decent. Upgraded last winter big time and I'm hearing things I didn't know were there. Owned some music for 25 years and I was hearing things I hadn't noticed before because my speakers weren't good enough. Same with movies that I own.

Pray tell what speakers?

My ears need a new found sonic world.

broken flowers: 7/10

never been a huge jim jarmusch fan, but this was pretty good. some bits of it felt totally contrived and hit-you-over-the-head, like naming the unnecessarily nude little girl Lolita, or having the main character named Don Johnston and watching Don Juan on tv, while calling his mystery-snooping neighbour Sherlock, etc.

still, i thought the movie is good when taken as a whole, and it sure has a wonderful closing scene.