The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

9 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

i just read some of my fellow posters comments on gaga and i want to thank you for helping me to realize that it wasn't just me that wanted to puke ..  

watching the actors reaction to it ..  or should i say the OVER actors reaction to the over  the top , out of tune and embarrassingly average song from its average maker  , made me happy that I had  the option of being a normal , not in that business human being 

they all really needed us to feel how much they felt  ..   its a cringe worthy world of fakery but i guess thats why they are actors 

i think they were applauding all the victims who walked on stage, not gaga herself

• Upvote 1

macbeth (2015): 8/10 

difficult to rate this as the story itself is so mind-bogglingly brilliant -- as in literally one of the best pieces of drama ever told -- so i guess the only critique you can really apply is to the style or the interpretation and performances. the acting was, of course, wonderful as Fassbender is without a doubt, for my money, the best leading man out there right now. Marion Cotillard was great as well. but the movie loses points for its excess in style. i didn't care for some of the slow motion or still frame-type shots, and the excess in colour towards the end was a bit much, even if it was a welcome change from extremely dour lead up. also loses a point for cutting out one of the best scenes in all of literature ('double, double, toil and trouble') 

scotland sure does look pretty

Edited by GLASSJAW

On 2/29/2016 at 1:21 AM, GLASSJAW said:

dooooo it

Man I have so many to choose from, it's insane ... I haven't seen a single episode of Madmen, Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, or some other big ones I've stored in my memory bank.

I think I should probably just grab a drink and get on board the Ian McShane Train to Painsville. Very rare for me to start a new tv series bla bla but I saw him in google images and it sort of sold me.

(also I was curious about MacBender, good to know, and Scotland is one of my favourite places on Earth so yay)

20 hours ago, riffraff said:

Didn't watch the oscars.  Don't watch the oscars.  But earlier an earlier poster bashed Dave Grohl and lady gaga which is fine by me.

dave Grohl.  Nails on a chalkboard.

Trying to decide if I should diss him or just let it go, haha. I don't know ... Grohl was just terribly flat on the "Blaaaack" part of McCartney's Blackbird. It was painful and he did it in front of "900 million" people (so I guess 90 million people). And it was prerecorded which means the guy was actually satisfied with it ...  sat there in rehearsals not knowing how badly he's singing such a famous tune. I now sort of think of him as the Adam Sandler of the music industry, he hams it up and doesn't care about the quality of his work.

• Upvote 1

Boyhood 9/10

Best coming of age film I have seen

Dallas Buyers Club 8.5/10

McConaughey and Leto are absolutely fantastic in this. Story is fascinating.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 6.5/10

Lord of the Rings light version with a bunchload of (very good) CGI.

Whiplash 8/10

Relationship between teacher and student might be exaggerated, but it makes for a pretty decent movie with a great performance by JK Simmons

12 Years a Slave 10/10

Touchy subject, brilliantly executed. No flaws in this movie. Ruthless in its execution of the topic. This is a film that has the potential to make a lasting cultural impact in my opinion.

Ended up checking out Deadwood, Ian McShane is truly amazing but Calamity Jane is almost unbearable.

Also, just watched Foxcatcher and loved how using cocaine gave Channing Tatum frosted tips. And that was just about the only remarkable thing in this movie. Would have preferred a documentary on the subject. (The art of heartless filming). 5/10

2 hours ago, Svengali said:

Also, just watched Foxcatcher and loved how using cocaine gave Channing Tatum frosted tips. And that was just about the only remarkable thing in this movie. Would have preferred a documentary on the subject. (The art of heartless filming). 5/10

It really was quite bad. I forget what I gave it, but probably in the 1-4 range. Some stories just don't translate well to film. This is one of them.

On 3/1/2016 at 2:11 AM, GLASSJAW said:

macbeth (2015): 8/10 

difficult to rate this as the story itself is so mind-bogglingly brilliant -- as in literally one of the best pieces of drama ever told -- so i guess the only critique you can really apply is to the style or the interpretation and performances. the acting was, of course, wonderful as Fassbender is without a doubt, for my money, the best leading man out there right now. Marion Cotillard was great as well. but the movie loses points for its excess in style. i didn't care for some of the slow motion or still frame-type shots, and the excess in colour towards the end was a bit much, even if it was a welcome change from extremely dour lead up. also loses a point for cutting out one of the best scenes in all of literature ('double, double, toil and trouble') 

scotland sure does look pretty

That's certainly on my 'to watch' list.

And Northern Scotland in particular is GORGEOUS.

The-Quiraing.jpg

RaasayFerry.jpg

On 3/1/2016 at 3:47 AM, Lateralus91 said:

12 Years a Slave 10/10

Touchy subject, brilliantly executed. No flaws in this movie. Ruthless in its execution of the topic. This is a film that has the potential to make a lasting cultural impact in my opinion.

Read the book.

As good as the movie (and it's performances) is, it pales in comparison.

1 minute ago, LuckyLuciano said:

People vs OJ anyone watchin? 

I watched the first episode. Didn't mind it, but nothing I didn't know already. Decided not to continue based on what I already knew.

Watched the first episode of Mr. Robot, and holy hell, is it all this terrible?

..."Evil Corp."? Really? ...With the Enron E? Really?

You know something's up when the best actor is Christian Slater.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I watched the first episode. Didn't mind it, but nothing I didn't know already. Decided not to continue based on what I already knew.

Yeah I guess if you're already familiar with the story it may not be as appealing to watch. It's pretty good though, I've always heard about the trial but never really knew what actually went on. 

Comes on f/x for those interested!