The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

cafe society: 7/10

one of my long-standing summer traditions is going to see the latest from woody allen, which hits by every august. this one isn't one of his best - but is far from his worst. 

kristen stewart, though i find her very, very attractive, is a dreadful actress. steve carrell is horrendous. both of them are so cardboard. however, jesse eisenberg gives a solid impression of Woody Allen and delivers some pretty good lines. 

not a very funny movie, nor is it all that thought provoking. enjoyable though. first time woody has worked with the cinematographer that shot Manhattan (IMO Woody's best). so, naturally, this has some really great scenery. 

58 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Sir Lord God gotta pay those gambling debts somehow.

lol, apparently he lives in a tiny one bedroom apartment in los angeles now because he (secretly) gambled away his pile of millions. 

dude's broke 

edit: i also read he has an excusivity contract with HBO - so it's not like he can go and work for another show/movie.

all the same, i think he's a freakishly talented dude and i hope he has at least one or two more opportunities to make a show for HBO. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

lol, apparently he lives in a tiny one bedroom apartment in los angeles now because he (secretly) gambled away his pile of millions. 

dude's broke 

edit: i also read he has an excusivity contract with HBO - so it's not like he can go and work for another show/movie.

all the same, i think he's a freakishly talented dude and i hope he has at least one or two more opportunities to make a show for HBO. 

Worse than broke - I think he owes the IRS some huge amount - 20 mill or so, I forget exactly. And I think he's caught up in a lawsuit against his old business managers.

Anyway I hope it doesn't affect his writing too much. I liked Deadwood, just not as much as you and some other people did apparently. But I also watched it directly after burning through all 5 seasons of The Wire which is still my own personal all-time fav. tv show so it had a high bar to clear. I'm curious to see how I feel about this movie, assuming it does get made and doesn't turn out terrible, watching it a few years after the show.

1 minute ago, The Bookie said:

Worse than broke - I think he owes the IRS some huge amount - 20 mill or so, I forget exactly. And I think he's caught up in a lawsuit against his old business managers.

Anyway I hope it doesn't affect his writing too much. I liked Deadwood, just not as much as you and some other people did apparently. But I also watched it directly after burning through all 5 seasons of The Wire which is still my own personal all-time fav. tv show so it had a high bar to clear. I'm curious to see how I feel about this movie, assuming it does get made and doesn't turn out terrible, watching it a few years after the show.

You should watch it again!

I think the movie could very easily work, since the Deadwood show (season 3) ended with a lot of foreshadowing for what was to come. The real Deadwood was basically burned to the ground because of a camp fire - the Gem Saloon included. I think this is why season 3 made so many references to there being, or the camp needing, a fire marshal (Tom Nutall) and fire department. 

After the camp burned down, it became even more intense upon rebuilding. Swearengen and the Gem were even more successful. So, considering all the sets for Deadwood are long-lost, I think they could easily just start with the fire - then introduce the new and improved camp shortly after, and create a single narrative out of the Gem's subsequent mega success, and Swearengen's life thereafter. The real life story is so fascinating that the show basically writes itself. I cannot imagine Milch struggling with the dialogue, personally.

GOOD STUFF COMIN UP.

8 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

So I had a chance to see a early screening of Suicide Squad. Won't say too much don't want to spoil anything. For me 7/10, wasn't perfect, wasn't bad. Margot Robbie and Jai Courtney stole the show for me.

Hell hath frozen over.

• Upvote 2

I have no idea who Jai Courtney even is

Margo Robbie sure is attractive though. Not attractive enough to make me watch Suicide Squad, mind you. It's getting pretty savage reviews so far. Currently at 38 on RT. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

5 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

If you've see a terrible, big budget action film in the last 4 years, Jai Courtney is the guy who has zero acting skills and zero charisma that Hollywood is forcing down our throats. Henry Cavill looks like Daniel Day Lewis in comparison.

Margo Robbie sure is attractive though. Not attractive enough to make me watch Suicide Squad, mind you. It's getting pretty savage reviews so far. Currently at 38 on RT. 

I expected the film to be garbage, just based off the previews for the last year. Was not surprised when I saw it getting torn to shreds on RT this morning.

Edited by Monty

5 hours ago, Monty said:

If you've see a terrible, big budget action film in the last 4 years, Jai Courtney is the guy who has zero acting skills and zero charisma that Hollywood is forcing down our throats. Henry Cavill looks like Daniel Day Lewis in comparison.

Ah yes. The Sam Worthington treatment.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'm sad to hear that Suicide Squad is possibly a dud. Was looking forward to it. David Aayr (sp) ? Is usually a decent director. It looks like it's turning into a movie for 12 year olds, not comic book intellectual dorks like myself. Gonna be hard to ever beat Dark Knight, WB.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

All the Harry Potter movies: 7 to 8/10

Overall, Prisoner of Azkeban is my favourite.  

Really enjoy these films.

And you're correct. Like the book, Azkaban is the best.

• Upvote 1