The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

My opinion is that there is a trap in which lazy writing allows everybody to come up with a reasonable explanation for why things happened. There is, in my opinion, a fine line between leaving things eerily unexplained (the movie Coherence is one of my all-time favorite) and just being unable to bring together a coherent idea. When you cannot bring together a coherent idea, you can (1) just do so badly or (2) pretend that you're doing something clever by leaving it in the hands of the audience. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that this movie falls into the latter category.

fair enough. I thought the idea was totally coherent! 

• Upvote 1

i loved The Lobster. I love so much of what A24 produces. And now we have the latest A24 production... from the director of The Lobster. Also won best screenplay at Cannes

If this is anything less than a 9/10 I'm going to be pissed

Edited by GLASSJAW

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

i loved The Lobster. I love so much of what A24 produces. And now we have the latest A24 production... from the director of The Lobster. Also won best screenplay at Cannes

If this isn't anything less than a 9/10 I'm going to be pissed

Very excited for this. The Lobster blew me away. Also, Collin Farrel went from being overrated pretty-boy to Matthew McConaughey-level box office nightmare, to Matthew McConaughey-level incredible actor (but without the appreciation). It was unfortunate that True Detective didn't work out quite as well for him. He was great in In Bruges and has been underrated since then. 

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Very excited for this. The Lobster blew me away. Also, Collin Farrel went from being overrated pretty-boy to Matthew McConaughey-level box office nightmare, to Matthew McConaughey-level incredible actor (but without the appreciation). It was unfortunate that True Detective didn't work out quite as well for him. He was great in In Bruges and has been underrated since then. 

he's also in the upcoming bank heist movie by the phenomenal Steve McQueen 

but there is no forgiving A Winter's Tale

10 hours ago, Down by the River said:

What I did find interesting about the film: It was produced by "Animal Kingdom", which is also, hands down, the very best movie that Joel Edgerton has ever done. However, there is no connection between the two.

Animal Kingdom is a favorite of mine.  Ben Mendelsohn is great as is the entire cast.  I can never get enough good crime dramas

The Big Sick

Two hour romantic comedy film written by and starring Kumail Nanjiani, which loosely tells the story of how he met his wife (who co-wrote).

Gotta say, it was delightful. More surprisingly, the second half of the movie picks up steam and is really where the film finds its legs. I thought that Ray Romano and Holly Hunter, who portray his wife's parents would only have a bit part. They absolutely stole the scenes they were in, which was basically the entire last half of the film. Holly Hunter is a great actress, so she obviously did well, but it was refreshing to see Romano really act the hell out of his role.

Definitely worth the watch.

Logan Lucky - Perhaps 2,5 stars, maybe 1,5 if I'm talking to someone I like.

- The film is overly, and needlessly complex, and I like complexity in films. This is a different type of complexity than that found in the Ocean's films. Sadly, the feints, baits and switches and what-not in Logan Lucky do little to hide what is going on, or what will be the final result of the action.

- Personally, I felt little sympathy for the primary cast which made it difficult to care if they succeeded in their robbery attempt, or in any other back-story issues they had going on.

- The film didn't even get a snicker from me, unless you were to consider a rueful, "OMFG, they're really trying to wring laughs out of a guy with a prosthetic arm? I thought that went out with the movie Moonstruck." (1987).

- The primary cast of characters were just a bit too close to ripping off the Ocean's 11 (et al), and without a substantial fresh take beyond giving them more facial hair, a bad haircut and bluejeans... and that's just the women.

Soderbergh just tried to do the same thing as the Ocean's films, but with rednecks.

regards,  G.

Just watched on Netflix a stinker called Curve starring Julianne Hough ( married to Brooks Laich) and Teddy Sears. -10 / 10 .

The movie was 1 hour and 21 minutes of pure torture. I would have rather watched her on Dancing with the Stars then this piece of garbage. 

The fact that i now know she dated Ryan Seacrest makes it all the more disturbing. To be honest i have 20 minutes left in the movie and i'm going to watch the rest of it.

I just checked IMDB to see if it was in the Top 250 worst movies and was shocked it was rated 5.4 :o.

Can't think of a better thread to ask this in.

Currently have Netflix, which we're keeping, but thinking of cancelling cable altogether and getting CraveTV. However, does anyone here currently have Crave? And if so, is it worth it?

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Currently have Netflix, which we're keeping, but thinking of cancelling cable altogether and getting CraveTV. However, does anyone here currently have Crave? And if so, is it worth it?

You can get Crave for free for a month. It has tons of classic Showtime/HBO series, so it all depends on whether you've seen these series too often already. I rewatched the Wire and Sopranos and we put Curb on every now and then, but after that, we were basically done with it.

18 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You can get Crave for free for a month. It has tons of classic Showtime/HBO series, so it all depends on whether you've seen these series too often already. I rewatched the Wire and Sopranos and we put Curb on every now and then, but after that, we were basically done with it.

Haven't watched The Wire yet, so there's some value there.

Basically, want to get rid of cable. My wife said, "But I like my (stupid) home reno shows." Crave has a few of her brutal shows, and I thought it would be cheaper to get Crave than to keep paying a stupid amount of money for Bell.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Haven't watched The Wire yet, so there's some value there.

Basically, want to get rid of cable. My wife said, "But I like my (stupid) home reno shows." Crave has a few of her brutal shows, and I thought it would be cheaper to get Crave than to keep paying a stupid amount of money for Bell.

Thought it was available on PS4. :picard: 

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thought it was available on PS4. :picard: 

That's a big reason why I haven't bothered with Crave. The Android app has a crazy low rating. 

6 hours ago, Monty said:

I had Crave. Didn't feel it was worth keeping for us. Netflix alone gives us enough programming to fill our TV time. And yeah, the app is terrible.

There's a lot of content on Crave, but most of it is just not our style. There's no real kids programs, and not a whole lot of "family friendly" stuff  My wife loved having all the old Frasier and Cheers shows, but she had already watched them when we had access to American Netflix.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I had Crave. Didn't feel it was worth keeping for us. Netflix alone gives us enough programming to fill our TV time. And yeah, the app is terrible.

There's a lot of content on Crave, but most of it is just not our style. There's no real kids programs, and not a whole lot of "family friendly" stuff  My wife loved having all the old Frasier and Cheers shows, but she had already watched them when we had access to American Netflix.

Well, it's on Apple TV, so we'll try it for a month and see how we like it.

We're going to cancel Bell anyway, which is terrific. Been trying to convince my wife for 3(ish) years now to cancel it, and she just wouldn't go for it. Finally caved and decided that saving $43/month was in our best interest.