The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

12 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Suburbicon is getting really poor-to-mediocre reviews. sorta bummed as i thought it looks like a fair Coen bros-lite movie. i thought Clooney's two directorial attempts at drama were solid if not really good (Ides of March, Goodnight and Good Luck). but didn't enjoy Monuments Men at all.

I watched the new Spider Man movie. i liked the comics as a kid, so my morbid curiosity will always bring me to movies. it actually wasn't as bad as i was expecting. don't get me wrong, it was still a total dud, but i didn't actively hate all of it like i did Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. so like 5.5 i guess.

saw Bladerunner 2049 for second time. Really loved it again.

re-watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is an easy 10/10 for me. utterly disturbing and impossible to enjoy, yet totally enjoyable at the same time.

I find myself actively hating Spiderman more as time goes on. It's incredibly bland and inoffensive like every other Marvel movie. That's what's offending me though. It's marginally better than Civil War and such, but I can't think of a single thing the movie wants to say or do. 

I hear how some people adore the movie because it sticks more closely to source material Spiderman, but who cares when it's essentially the same movie as every Marvel one that preceded it in the last few years.

Like I'm so glad Blade Runner 2049 was what it was, and that the studio didn't try and reboot it with a "Blade Runner" cinematic universe. I probably would have died a little inside if we got a pointless, heartless, "Rogue One"-like prequel. 

God did I love Blade Runner 2049 though. It was bound to be a hate it or love it type deal with me, as they're calling back to what is one is possibly my favourite movie of all-time with the original. But after applying that scrutiny to it, it shines for me. 

Visually, tonally, thematically, it touched the right notes. Loved Ryan Gosling's Pinocchio story.

It was a little to explanatory and hand-holding a few times, yet still too vague and undefined some others. I also hated Sylvia Hoek in the movie, from her performance, to her character and its writing. Way too distracting when she was on screen.

Those things aside though, I'd need an essay to talk about what I think the movie did right. Which is nearly everything. I don't know whether it's too early to call this one of my new favourite movies, but this is one of my new favourite movies.

It's a complete anti-Marvel movie. It calls on what came before, and builds on it, without simply rehashing and repeating it. Doesn't worry about alienating average Joe viewer by having a soul. I really need to watch it again.

On 2017-10-22 at 3:17 PM, The Bookie said:

Coherence was great. I can see the comparison to The Invitation, although I liked it a lot more. Rather than levelling out in to a straightforward genre movie it just gets weirder and more confusing as it plays out. 

I should def put that and The Guest on to my mental re-watch list.

On 2017-10-22 at 3:20 PM, Down by the River said:

I got literal goosebumps the first time I watched Coherence. 

Just finished watching Coherence.

Considering the budget, it was great. Relied 100% on the script, which was also very good.

@Monty  @Down by the River  have y'all watched Primer before? I think it was one of the big inspirations for Coherence and they often get compared. Hard to describe - super low budget about 4 guys who accidentally build a time machine, almost completely dialogue driven, with similar hard-sci-fi metaphysical aspects.

I watched Split again. First time since The Cabin in the Woods where I had that urge to re-watch something immediately. I think now that it's a stone cold masterpiece, a 9 or 9.5. The combination of attention to detail in the script, perfect camera work, and McAvoy (as well as Anya Taylor Joy, she gets overshadowed, literally) nailing every nuance of the character(s) is phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

Blade Runner 2049

A little bit of alright. Loved the sounds and visuals. 

Between Drive and this I am really liking Ryan Gosling.

Might have to check out more of his movies. But I don't want no damn chicks coming in here to tell me to watch The Notebook  :P 

Creep 2 - 8.5/10

I think this is one of the rare sequels where it works in that you don’t have to have seen the first one to get it, but seeing the first one enhances the viewing. Not only for the sequel, but also the first one. You certainly get the sense that Duplass and co-writer/director Patrick Brice had a vision beyond the first film.

As is usually the case, Mark Duplass really can’t do much wrong. He’s an incredibly talented writer/actor. And while the first Creep was definitely enjoyable, the second is elevated in a way that you’d expect from Duplass.

If you’ve seen Creep, then you know it’s essentially a horror/thriller. This one really isn’t that at all. Duplass is a crafty writer. One who is smart enough to not do the same thing twice. So it’s definitely worth watching, and it does build on the last one for both character development and story. 

On 10/23/2017 at 11:34 PM, The Bookie said:

@Monty  @Down by the River  have y'all watched Primer before? I think it was one of the big inspirations for Coherence and they often get compared. Hard to describe - super low budget about 4 guys who accidentally build a time machine, almost completely dialogue driven, with similar hard-sci-fi metaphysical aspects.

I watched Split again. First time since The Cabin in the Woods where I had that urge to re-watch something immediately. I think now that it's a stone cold masterpiece, a 9 or 9.5. The combination of attention to detail in the script, perfect camera work, and McAvoy (as well as Anya Taylor Joy, she gets overshadowed, literally) nailing every nuance of the character(s) is phenomenal.

Primer is nuts. I needed to follow it closer than I did when I watched it. I've heard it is "the perfect time travel movie".

On 2017-10-25 at 11:30 AM, Monty said:

Creep 2 - 8.5/10

I think this is one of the rare sequels where it works in that you don’t have to have seen the first one to get it, but seeing the first one enhances the viewing. Not only for the sequel, but also the first one. You certainly get the sense that Duplass and co-writer/director Patrick Brice had a vision beyond the first film.

As is usually the case, Mark Duplass really can’t do much wrong. He’s an incredibly talented writer/actor. And while the first Creep was definitely enjoyable, the second is elevated in a way that you’d expect from Duplass.

If you’ve seen Creep, then you know it’s essentially a horror/thriller. This one really isn’t that at all. Duplass is a crafty writer. One who is smart enough to not do the same thing twice. So it’s definitely worth watching, and it does build on the last one for both character development and story. 

Oh yeah, further to this, be prepared for full frontal Mark Duplass.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:30 AM, Monty said:

Creep 2 - 8.5/10

I HATE scary movies, and maybe Creep doesn't really count in your typical "horror" category, but I am halfway through Creep and really enjoying it. Did not even know that there was a Creep 2. 

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I HATE scary movies, and maybe Creep doesn't really count in your typical "horror" category, but I am halfway through Creep and really enjoying it. Did not even know that there was a Creep 2. 

Creep 2 only came out a few weeks ago. Loved it. But that’s also what you get from Mark Duplass when he writes a horror/thriller.

Horror film sequels essentially just do the same thing as the first, but with a much larger budget. Duplass has always been about growing the story and character. A sequel that would have done the same thing as the first, especially in Creep, wouldn’t have worked at all.

Definitely watch Creep 2.