The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks headed for a financial cliff ?

RAMBUTANS

No financial cliff coming; we will be able to make payroll without adding a tax on the concession employee's...

Maybe it'll be like the airport, an extra $20 to get on an airplane and $5 for the skytrain... :sadno:

If the current CBA holds up, the salary cap will drop down to $60 million next year. This creates a bit of a complication with the roster as we're spending tight to the cap. I read on some article, Edler might be a casualty as he is due for a raise. Not sure if unloading Luongo and Ballard will do it. Can you bear the thought of losing Edler when we lost out on the Schultz sweepstakes?

I think the NHL is headed for a financial cliff in general...... When that one time buy-out happens there will be alot of players who will be getting bought out. Looking at cap geek and the number of players who are earning 3-4 mil + (who are very marginal players) . Every team has 3-5 players who wont be worth there contract, so do you buy them out and put your team in a financial situation or do you keep them but handcuff your team by not being able to sign players because youre up against the cap?

If you are gonna roll back the salary cap then the players salaries should be rolled back to the same %

examples

Minny will be spening 30 mil on 4 players ( koivu, heatley, parise, suter)

Philly - Grossman 3.5, Luke Schenn 3.6, Simmonds 4 , Voracek 4.25

Boston - Peverly 3.25, Kelly 3, They would be at 57mil with no goalie and needing 5 extra players

TRADE

Luongo (Canucks retain half his salary), Edler FOR Campbell (Florida retains half his cap hit), Goc

2013-14 Lines

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows = 16.7

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder = 10.25

Hansen-Goc-Weise = 4.05

Arcibald-(1 million)-Kassian = 2.57

EXTRA forward at .7 = 33.82

Campbell-Garisson = 8.17

Hamhuis-Bieksa = 9.1

Connauton-Tanev = 2

2 EXTRA defencemen at 1.4

Schnieder, EXTRA goalie at 1 = 5 = 25.87 = 59.69

I don't think they can just reduce the cap by 10+ million and expect every team to cope. A lot of middle-tier players will be squeezed out of jobs because teams simply can't afford to keep them under the cap.

If the cap is reduced, I believe player salaries will be rolled back the same percentage. However the "Make Whole" proposition would essentially give players the remaining amount owing on their original contracts outside of the cap system.

Archived