The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Brouwer can play either wing and has played mostly RW in WSH.

Raymond has been horrible every playoff ever.

I know you don't think the Canucks needs more size, but I disagree, I think the more the better.

Add that to the fact that Brouwer is a local kid, with a cup ring and I think he's the perfect addition over Raymond for a long playoff run, as well as the fact that he can play both wings the Canucks keep the versatility.

Idk about that, Raymond was fine in 09 and 10 IMO.

We just don't need another winger, even putting Raymond aside:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Then you throw in Raymond who has been playing great and brought key secondary scoring that we haven't got in prior playoff years. (2nd in goals in the team)

It just throws another wrench into a toolbox that is loaded with them. We need an all round, versatile two way center if anything. Not another winger.

Unless the winger is a good upgrade on someone, and in that top 9 I presented, I don't think Brouwer is a signficant upgrade on anyone.

I like the player, just not a need.

I like Brouwer, alot actually. And the line up looks exciting!

But I think you can get a player like him as a rental at the deadline, and without the expense of giving up an asset like Lou or the cap hit. And you would do it while retaining Raymond. Either healthy competition on the 3rd and 4th line or you play size or speed depending on the match up. So it may not be Brouwer, but a rental player like him.

Along that vein, why would anyone trade us Ott for Raymond? Isnt't he UFA at year end...? If they had given up on the season, and were cashing their expiring contract for futures; Raymond is also UFA and not who they would want. And if they both sign, wouldn't they keep Ott?

If we could get Brouwer and a first I believe it would help our team now and later. Then we can push a guy like raymond and a 3rd for ott.

We are in win now, we need to add size/grit.

Sedin Sedin Burr

Booth Kes Brouwer

Higgs Ott Kass

Volp Lappy Manny

Hammerhuis Edler

Garrison Juice

Bally TanMan

Cory

Cup!

I like Brouwer, alot actually. And the line up looks exciting!

But I think you can get a player like him as a rental at the deadline, and without the expense of giving up an asset like Lou or the cap hit. And you would do it while retaining Raymond. Either healthy competition on the 3rd and 4th line or you play size or speed depending on the match up. So it may not be Brouwer, but a rental player like him.

Along that vein, why would anyone trade us Ott for Raymond? Isnt't he UFA at year end...? If they had given up on the season, and were cashing their expiring contract for futures; Raymond is also UFA and not who they would want. And if they both sign, wouldn't they keep Ott?

I asked someone else;

What happens if Kassian gets injured? Do you bring Weise up to play top 6 at right wing?

We have plenty of depth on left wing, certainly left D, debatably at centre (I think we're good here if*). Booth was brought in because his size was needed where he was slotted. As much as we have depth, nobody has the size to replace Booth or Kassian. Which showed when we played big line ups and will again when we play the in the play off's. Just like it did the last 4 years...

I can appreciate the enthusiasm for talent, but physical match ups are important too.

What happens if Bieksa gets hurt? Who else has a right shot that can step in?

We can use some depth at right D and right wing. * If that added depth had size, that would also create space so we could leave Schroeder where he is.

Now, again; it does not have to be a shakeup, or even involve Lou. Two years ago we added Higgins and Lappy to Malhotra and Torres. They were our depth size, Higgy and Lapierre the diggers. Well we've lost Torres and Malhotra is less effective. So a deadline day rental with size could just fit the bill nicely. And likely, very, one of our guys will be injured and they will just fill a spot without a shake up.

Never say, never. It's usually not smart!

Bottom line is Luongo is more useful to us as a backup than anything acquired in a trade. With our roster as deep as it is, we no longer requiring secondary scoring with Kesler/Booth returning on top of having Schroeder, Raymond and Kassian all performing in offensive roles. Hansen and Higgins have also looked good offensively. I'm not going to bump any of these guys out of the lineup for some 6'3 big guy who might be able to pot 20 points in a full season. We have team toughness with Kassian, Weise, Volpatti, Lapierre, Bieksa, and Ballard. I'm not worried about matching teams physically when Kassian can play 18 minutes of physicality while still potting the odd goal.

I'm not sold on any of these projected trades, and once again I focus on the deal happening before the trade deadline, of which is not beneficial to the Canucks. Those that agree with me note that we don't have any glaring needs, compound that with potentially shaking up a system that is working by acquiring a player who would change the dynamic of our 3rd line. That, or a trade which would get us prospects and picks that we couldn't use immediately. As far as I'm concerned with the way Luongo is playing, and his comfort with the team, any trade that would occur between now and the deadline would be a loss. Might as well wait until the season is over before we go and shake up the roster.

I asked someone else;

What happens if Kassian gets injured? Do you bring Weise up to play top 6 at right wing?

We have plenty of depth on left wing, certainly left D, debatably at centre (I think we're good here if*). Booth was brought in because his size was needed where he was slotted. As much as we have depth, nobody has the size to replace Booth or Kassian. Which showed when we played big line ups and will again when we play the in the play off's. Just like it did the last 4 years...

I can appreciate the enthusiasm for talent, but physical match ups are important too.

We can use some depth at right D and right wing. * If that added depth had size, that would also create space so we could leave Schroeder where he is.

Now, again; it does not have to be a shakeup, or even involve Lou. Two years ago we added Higgins and Lappy to Malhotra and Torres. They were our depth size, Higgy and Lapierre the diggers. Well we've lost Torres and Malhotra is less effective. So a deadline day rental with size could just fit the bill nicely. And likely, very, one of our guys will be injured and they will just fill a spot without a shake up.

I asked someone else;

Archived