The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider's Agent concerned about goalie's playing time

hockeyfan90

Sure, Schneider's camp is looking out for his best interests, and I don't blame them. Luongo has played well, so it's hard to argue against him getting time.

This being said, I would have given Schneider a lot more starts than what Luongo has gotten. If he is "the guy" going forward then he should be "the guy", upcoming Luongo trade or no Luongo trade.

regards,

G.

I think most of us know that the Canucks are playing Luo because he's playing better. Period. The argument for Schneider last season was that his numbers were better. Now, there's been a reversal and it's Luo's numbers that argue for him getting the starts. Just like the playoffs last year, personal pride and ego have to be put aside and the team has to make the decision to use the goalie that will give them the best chance to win. I'm sure that was incredibly horrible for Luo, but he handled it with grace and professionalism. It's time for Schneider to prove he can do the same.

In fact, if Schneider is concerned about his ice time his focus would be better spent making sure he proves his value in an upcoming start rather than whining to the media via his agent. Given the lopsided schedule that will see us play 4 games in 6 nights week after next (after 2 weeks with only 5 games total), I'm sure Schneider will get a couple of starts. If he shines during a game then I would fully expect to see him get the next start. If Schneider wants more ice time he has to earn it, not just whine for it.

My big concern is that, as others have said, his agent is surely speaking on his behalf and with his knowledge/permission. If Schneider has been the supposed number 1 for all of a month now and is already whining about the supposedly unfair treatment he's receiving it's doesn't bode well for his longevity here. The Vancouver media/fans are going to eat him alive.

I like you, Schneider, I really do. But toughen up. Don't ask to sit in the frying pan if you can't handle the heat!

Understandable that Cory would feel that way though he himself has said nothing.

He has spent 6 years in the system proving himself. He took over lastt year in the playoffs and was the main reason the Nucks even stayed close to LA.

Both he and his agent were aware of what a hot commodity he was and could have gone the RFA route but were convinced by MG that he was Vancouver's future so he signed here.

This situation is being badly handled by the Nucks and could get very ugly. Hard enough to be a new starter on a contending team; then to have Lu sitting on the bench in back-up makes it harder still; add to that a coach who puts you on a short leash (much shorter thatn Lu had when he struggled) and you've got a no-win situation for Cory. Now add the press analysis and controversy, the Nucks fan that seem to be taking some sort of sick pleasure in Cory sitting and who wouldn't be frustrated.

Cory has been head of the class in college, AHL and last year's numbers in the NHL. He will be a top 5-10 goalie for many years to come. If MG doesn't handle this right, it won't be with the Nucks.

It's hard to prove urself when u get two bad games and get yanked , losing Ur starting position. What a joke. Then guy is not going to be perfect all the friggin time. They are showing zero patience with him and no doubt, I don't care what Schneider is actually saying, it will effect his confidence.

So he's nervous to have the stating position and was gripping the stick a little too tight his first game? I got a great idea. Lets solve that by pulling him it the next five games!!!!!!!

They let Lu " play through his rough patches " for half a decade. They couldn't however let Schneider play through two bad games ?

This man love for luongo is killing the potential in Schneider.

I have been a Lu backer through out this .Luit needs to keep his mouth shut because this makes his client look bad.Cory has had one solid start this year he doesn't look like he did last year.Lu didn't complain to the media nor did his camp he kept his mouth shut and his game has done the talking. I suggest Cory and his camp do the same be a little more professional or I should say his agent needs to be more professional.

Do you have a link to the interview where Luo said "I want out" or anything remotely like it? Because all I remember is the media constantly saying how Schneider had supplanted him as the number one and, when directly asked about it, Luo saying he would waive his NTC if the team asked him to because he wanted to do whatever the team wanted, that he was a team player all the way. He also praised Schneider repeatedly and said he could understand why a team would want to secure a good, young goaltender for the franchise future. Where is the whining in that?

He signed His contract with the understanding He was to be the starting Goalie here. If this continues then the Canucks misrepresented Himself. His career as a number one has been delayed in My opinion. He is 26, or Jonathan Quick's age. He could have been a starter a few Years ago. They kept Him intheA.H.L.forThree Years,and He was a backup for two Years? Gillis say "We can't afford to worry about People's feelings", but Cory has to worry about His interests. I would be suggesting the Canucks move Me. Hedoesn't care where He goes.

Understandable that Cory would feel that way though he himself has said nothing.

He has spent 6 years in the system proving himself. He took over lastt year in the playoffs and was the main reason the Nucks even stayed close to LA.

Both he and his agent were aware of what a hot commodity he was and could have gone the RFA route but were convinced by MG that he was Vancouver's future so he signed here.

This situation is being badly handled by the Nucks and could get very ugly. Hard enough to be a new starter on a contending team; then to have Lu sitting on the bench in back-up makes it harder still; add to that a coach who puts you on a short leash (much shorter thatn Lu had when he struggled) and you've got a no-win situation for Cory. Now add the press analysis and controversy, the Nucks fan that seem to be taking some sort of sick pleasure in Cory sitting and who wouldn't be frustrated.

Cory has been head of the class in college, AHL and last year's numbers in the NHL. He will be a top 5-10 goalie for many years to come. If MG doesn't handle this right, it won't be with the Nucks.

All this is doing is keeping Schneider fresher/longer.

When Lou gets traded and we have Jason LabaraSanforBourin, Scheinder will play the last 28 of 30 games.

Liut should be more concerned with his client not burning out during that stretch as he HAS NEVER BEEN A #1. And that Corey will be the bonafide starter going into the playoffs for the first time in his career. BTW, Schneider has but one playoff win.

Corey doesn't NEED these few starts in the early going, to get going. He will need them down the stretch.

PS, patience for a better trade now, puts a better team in front of Corey going forward.

Do you have a link to the interview where Luo said "I want out" or anything remotely like it? Because all I remember is the media constantly saying how Schneider had supplanted him as the number one and, when directly asked about it, Luo saying he would waive his NTC if the team asked him to because he wanted to do whatever the team wanted, that he was a team player all the way. He also praised Schneider repeatedly and said he could understand why a team would want to secure a good, young goaltender for the franchise future. Where is the whining in that?

It could be that Luit is receiving a lot of flack for demanding $4m for a goaltender who isn't even a number 1, GMs around the league could be hardening their stance with him in negotiations, saying that the last guy he signed for big money has been riding pine, being outplayed by a choker who was on his way out of town. This would be a very poor argument, but GMs are known to use any argument they can to get a better deal.

I have a feeling these comments have nothing to do with anything involving the Canucks, and everything to do with an agent's reputation elsewhere around the league.

I disagree with Liut that the Canucks are showcasing Luongo. They are just riding the hot hand. Luongo is simply playing light out right now. There will be periods where Schneider outplays Luongo too. This is what happens when you have two great goalies in your system.

Archived