The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I know its been a couple games since but why didnt anybody fight duncan keith?

Schneider.Man604

I disagree on many levels.

It's not smart to let your key players take cheap shots.

I've played team sports all my life and you treat the team like a family and if someone takes a run at one of your guys, especially one of your good guys, you let the other team know that's not acceptable.

And you know who appreciates it the most? The guy you're sticking up for.

It doesn't even matter if you lose the fight. Its the point that you're sending a message out to others saying that if you're going to do that, there will be repercussions, so you'd better think twice next time.

I know he'd never say anything bad, but do you think Sedin likes the fact that nobody cared enough about what happened to at least go over and fight Keith? I don't care if Keith doesn't want to fight. Start throwing punches and watch him turtle and make him look like a coward then.

I'll never forget a 1993 playoff game between LA and Toronto. McSorley lays out Gilmour, TO's star at at the time, and Wendel Clark doesn't have to think twice, he drops the gloves skates over from the other wing and punches him in the face. McSorley is a bigger stronger guy than Clark but he had a nice black eye for the rest of the playoffs and didn't hit Gilmour again that series.

I disagree on many levels.

It's not smart to let your key players take cheap shots.

I've played team sports all my life and you treat the team like a family and if someone takes a run at one of your guys, especially one of your good guys, you let the other team know that's not acceptable.

And you know who appreciates it the most? The guy you're sticking up for.

It doesn't even matter if you lose the fight. Its the point that you're sending a message out to others saying that if you're going to do that, there will be repercussions, so you'd better think twice next time.

I know he'd never say anything bad, but do you think Sedin likes the fact that nobody cared enough about what happened to at least go over and fight Keith? I don't care if Keith doesn't want to fight. Start throwing punches and watch him turtle and make him look like a coward then.

I'll never forget a 1993 playoff game between LA and Toronto. McSorley lays out Gilmour, TO's star at at the time, and Wendel Clark doesn't have to think twice, he drops the gloves skates over from the other wing and punches him in the face. McSorley is a bigger stronger guy than Clark but he had a nice black eye for the rest of the playoffs and didn't hit Gilmour again that series.

And the coach, the GM, and the star players fractured into different directions where nobody trusted each other.

Then the core of the team fell apart with once passionate players becoming apathetic, the coach was fired, the team was sold and the GM handed his walking papers; with it taking 5 more years to recover the place the West Coast Express was taking us.

But I'd have settled for a little beotch slap! :bigblush:

No one has been messing with them so far this season. And I am glad we didn't go chasing Keith around the rink looking for retribution....last time that happened a guy got his neck broken and our top power forward was suspended for the rest of the season.

It's about being smart. I think our team is smart enough to make sure nobody got suspended. When you bring up one of our players injuring their hand on Keiths skull, would you not rather have it on Keiths skull then the other no namers Weise or Volpatti have fought this season? Also I don't think there would be a suspension over 1 fight. Yes Keith did avoid getting beat up or getting hit because it was rarely happening... it is pretty easy to avoid a fight when no one is starting a fight with you. Again, this is not just about getting those 2 points, these two teams have a heated rivalry and retribution for injuring one of our stars goes a long way. We've all seen what the hawks can do, they can come back from a 3-0 series and destroy us in 3 straight games only to take us to game 7 over time. I want to put as much fear as possible into the hawks because it really seems like they are not scared of us at all.. why? because we havent given them a reason to. So what now? Sedins have to watch for cheap head shots/ elbows and the hawks dont have to worry about getting hit they can just play their hockey which I should add is dangerously good.

And the coach, the GM, and the star players fractured into different directions where nobody trusted each other.

Then the core of the team fell apart with once passionate players becoming apathetic, the coach was fired, the team was sold and the GM handed his walking papers; with it taking 5 more years to recover the place the West Coast Express was taking us.

But I'd have settled for a little beotch slap! :bigblush:

1 - Keith isn't going to fight for the sake of making you happy. So whoever fights him is going to get 2, 5, and a game misconduct for instigating. Giving Chicago a golden opportunity to score and us having to double shift somebody because we're a man short for the rest of the game.

This team doesn't need chippy play and retribution games.

What is this team built on? It's not grinding physical play. It's speed and finesse passing, if the team sticks to their MO no one is going to go looking for retribution, I mean the Sedin's are smart players and it would require a cheap shot to take them out, look how far out of his way Keith had to go to get one.

AFAIC this team should stick to the scoreboard and nothing else, they don't need pointless injuries and games where the players should be looking over their shoulders, that does nothing to help their game.

I know this is not the same kind of Canucks team I grew up loving in the late 80s early 90s that didn't take crap from anyone and we were that era's Boston Bruins, but at the same time I realize this team has to play to it's strengths and it doesn't include unnecessary physical play.

If you read the thread, most of us don't care about the results of a single regular season game because regardless, we are a playoff team that can run with the best.

That's a risk but whats the difference when they are already taking liberties on our stars anyway?

It's not like we are doing anything now that protects our stars.

Think about it, we even have goons like Eager (not even another star) taking runs at the Sedins from behind.

I love how your statements seem so factual when you have no idea what you are talking about. I've had the privilege of watching the game from some great seats and have watched how the players interact with each other on the ice.

I've seen how when a game starts getting chippy, a coach used an enforcer and throws him over the boards after the whistle. While skating to the faceoff, he would bump a couple of the opposing players en route and pretty much challenge them to "do something". You can then actually see that the other player has absolutely no interest in fighting and the chippyness of the game stops.

I've seen how Bollig kicked the crap out of Jackman and saw that Calgary decided to stop trying to play like tough guys and stick to just playing a finesse game (oxymoron) Calgary currently has Jackman as their tough guy which meant once Bollig kicked the crap out of him, absolutely no one on the Flames team wanted to be involved in a fight. The clip of the Flames players wrapping their sticks against the board for Jackman might make a viewer at home like you think the Flames are unfazed or undaunted but when you are up close to the action, you can tell that the fight was a statement and it changed the way the Flames played for the remainder of the game. They stopped trying to take runs at the Hawks players and stuck to just playing hockey

You think teams like that will all of a sudden decide to take a cheap shot at the other team's star?

Again I love your little facts.

I'm sure they "fear" losing a regular season game when there really isn't much on the line. They might be angry about losing but I think fear is the wrong word.

March 21 2012- Sedin gets smoked in the head, Canucks lose 2-1 in OT

Feb 1st 2013- Canucks win 2-1 in OT

Yeah I'm sure they fear us lol

The Wild employed the "bully Sedins" ploy last night and it worked.....more or less. Danny whiffed on a couple of A-1 chances.

I will say however, that I was proud of Lappy for going after Falk on the late hit to Daniel, especially consider that it was from behind. I wasn't at all surprised that Max received the only penalty, since neither Hebert nor Rooney seemed to have any idea what they were doing all night.

In absence of an enforcer, teams need that gang mentality, where everyone sticks up for everyone. Max was the man last night and I was completely okay with his taking the penalty, even if it had turned out that it cost the Canucks the lead...

The Wild employed the "bully Sedins" ploy last night and it worked.....more or less. Danny whiffed on a couple of A-1 chances.

I will say however, that I was proud of Lappy for going after Falk on the late hit to Daniel, especially consider that it was from behind. I wasn't at all surprised that Max received the only penalty, since neither Hebert nor Rooney seemed to have any idea what they were doing all night.

In absence of an enforcer, teams need that gang mentality, where everyone sticks up for everyone. Max was the man last night and I was completely okay with his taking the penalty, even if it had turned out that it cost the Canucks the lead...

I've played the game. A guy fighting me didn't stop me from throwing my hits. A guy bumping me? Big freakin' deal. Again I'll ask...has fighting Torres stopped him from playing his questionable game? I say not at all. You're deluded if you think it ever will.

Btw, I did say beat them "repeatedly" didn't I? Which we haven't. Unless we do they have no reason to fear us. Getting into a fight won't make them fear us at all. Particularly if they win the game in the process. That just tells them they can throw us off our game and get us taking stupid penalties. Great game plan.

Cooke inadvertently hurts Karlsson

Neil exacts revenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2EJ5jC2hk

wait...who am I?

But but but... Cooke didn't want to fight. What can you do if the other guy refuses to drop his gloves???

Karlsson's injury was a complete accident folks.

Keith on the other hand deliberately changed his angle on the play to elbow Sedin in the head..

But yeah, you guys are right, Keith isnt going to fight, lets just beat him on the scoreboard.

Archived