The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weiss- please explain

garthsbutcher

Good speed, decent size and hits for a low cap hit.

Is he the best fourth liner in the league? No. Is he a useless bag of skin? No.

He'll likely be a spare once Kesler/Booth are back anyway with spot duty for injuries and/or the occasion we play larger teams (him and Volpatti).. OP is putting way to much thought in to a 4th liner/extra forward.

So now that our top three lines and goalies are doing well and we are scoring, are we looking towards our fourth line to hate on now? I guess Dale is now our new whipping boy? Can't wait to see who it will be next week.

He is a fourth liner and his role is to get the puck out of the zone, tire out the other team and get an offensive zone face off without being a liability. I think he is doing his job just fine and it seems like CDC is now just nitpicking. I don't remember the last time he made a defensive blunder so that to me makes a good fourth liner. He may not win a lot of his fights but he's only 24 and the fact he is at least willing to throw down whenever called upon is enough for me. I'd rather have him than some goon who goes around getting instigator penalties costing the team the game.

Well I think he has a place in the roster. He IS fast, he's a trier (I always admire that) he is quite versatile although not outstanding in anything.............plus I thought he put up a decent fight against the Boston guy, whose name escapes me.

He may fade out once/if Pinizzotto gets fit, who knows.

So now that our top three lines and goalies are doing well and we are scoring, are we looking towards our fourth line to hate on now? I guess Dale is now our new whipping boy? Can't wait to see who it will be next week.

He is a fourth liner and his role is to get the puck out of the zone, tire out the other team and get an offensive zone face off without being a liability. I think he is doing his job just fine and it seems like CDC is now just nitpicking. I don't remember the last time he made a defensive blunder so that to me makes a good fourth liner. He may not win a lot of his fights but he's only 24 and the fact he is at least willing to throw down whenever called upon is enough for me. I'd rather have him than some goon who goes around getting instigator penalties costing the team the game.

He's not bad for 14th-ish on the depth chart - he may be frustrating with the puck on his stick (yeah, there's a lack of vision/ability to find his team-mates there, perhaps because he needs to keep his eye on the puck :bigblush: ) but his speed and grit are handy when it comes to playing a role with Lappy/Manny on the shutdown line. He's young, he came for free, he isn't going to scare people but he will stand up for his team-mates. There's probably room to upgrade, but not much point in complaining about what Weise has given at very little cost.

You waste your time. In the 06/07 season they said exactly the same thing about Burrows on the fourth line. Doesn't produce, doesn't fight, waste of a roster spot.

Yet among all forwards that season he was:

2nd in hits

2nd in blocked shots

2nd in takeaways

2nd in pk ice time

Agitated

Drew penalties

13th in total ice time per game

All for the league minimum salary.

Yet the vast majority here referred to him as useless and wanted him out. Points are not the only way to contribute to team success. I argued that point all season long in 06/07 to no avail.

The 4th line has been very strong this season. Lots of O zone play. My only concern is the regular season is not playoff hockey. The Canucks do not have a Bruin Thorton who pretty much turned the tide against Van in '11. Neither Weise or Volpatti carry enough weight, Lapierre does. I also suggest that if Van had 3 forward lines that were scoring the pressure on the 4th line would be reduced.

Im sure hes a character guy but someone has to tell me what this guys brings to the table. There has to be a better option even at this price point. I just dont see the positives. No hands, cant fight, cant pass. Perhaps when booth and kesler are ready, weiss might just be put on waivers.

Honestly, too many yippie-skippy types in this town got too much of a boner from his no competition stats in some substandard euro league. Lol at explaining why those stats didn't translate here. 'Derp. No crap, genius.'

Until the guy actually does something to solidify a spot here, all the advanced stats in the world doesn't change his depth player status.

Archived