The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Raymond while his value is up?

ButterBean

Last year he was coming off of a broken back where he had no training camp, and was obviously no where near 100% strength wise. Its amazing what some time to rehab will do to your game.

Raymond was arguably our best forward vs both LA and Boston not named Sedin. Getting pushed around because of his size was not an issue. Not everything appears on the scoresheet. Raymond is an excellent 2 way player, with world class speed, how will adding a big 'tough' forward help us? Are you expecting to find a big power forward with hands and that can skate with the likes of Kesler, Hansen, Burrows etc? And you are going to get him by trading Raymond? Good luck with that

Raymond is far more valuable to us than he is to anyone else, and on top of that he is playing well above his current pay scale.

I think this team is plenty tough as it stands. Kesler, Kassian, Burrows, Booth, Hansen, Bieksa, Ballard, Higgins, Lapierre, Volpatti... There is toughness and edge on every line.

I didn't notice Mason getting man-handled during the playoffs. He is having a statement season, not just due to contract issues, but more as a guy coming back from a possible career ending/changing injury. He much stronger on his skates and finally has a teammate that matches his game. Sometimes speed can be just as effective as size. It's nice to have a good balance of skills throughout the team.

Good in regular season. Tanks in playoffs when intensity and defense come up. See how he does in the playoffs before you say "He had a good year!" because he's capable of a decent regular season. Problem is he turns into a scared shadow when physical play is amped up.

I didn't notice Mason getting man-handled during the playoffs. He is having a statement season, not just due to contract issues, but more as a guy coming back from a possible career ending/changing injury. He much stronger on his skates and finally has a teammate that matches his game. Sometimes speed can be just as effective as size. It's nice to have a good balance of skills throughout the team.

Luongo + Raymond for Rome

Kesler + Burrows + Booth for Rome

Daniel + Henrik for Rome

Hansen + Higgins for Rome

Lapierre + Volpatti + Malhotra + Weise for Rome

Shroeder + Kassian for Rome

Bieksa + Hamhuis for Rome

Edler + Garrison for Rome

Ballard + Tanev for Rome

This is what our lineup should look like going into the playoffs:

Rome-Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome

Rome-Rome

Rome

Rome

Healthy Scratches: Rome, Rome, and Andrew Ebbet

This is the problem. No one thinks about the OP's comment. Look:

1. Raymond has come back stronger and better and I love the way he is playing. He can be a 25 goal scorer again in this league and is proving it. Keeps playing that way going forward he will no doubt.

2. He is small. As the OP said, in the playoffs his game will disappear, and given our size issues on the third line really need that line to get bigger for a run.

3. His value is at probably an all time high. Guy scores 25, back to back poor seasons, comes back from a terrible injury, showing a great deal of heart and mental toughness...and thus the reason many legitimately want to keep him, which I get.

4. But, market value, size, team needs, its about filling gaps. If the Lou deal can do it on its own, yes you keep him, good depth scoring, can move up and down 2/3 and has an element of speed most teams dont have. Not to mention his chemistry with Schroeder. BUT our goal is to win the cup.

5. If we can get a 20 goal, 3rd line center with grit back (positional trade). Other side needs speed and a second line winger, we need a gritty 3rd liner who can chip in, you make the deal. Won't hurt scoring depth that much, you add size, lose a bit of speed but so be it.

then your lines are more balanced and better ready for a cup run.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder (make him the playmaker on that line)

Higgins (Big Center) Burrows

Weise/Volpatti Manny/Lapierre Hansen

I sure like that line up, that third line becomes a line most teams would love as its second- its asset mgmt.

Again, if you can manage that with the Lou deal, he why bother, otherwise I think its a smart move.

This is the problem. No one thinks about the OP's comment. Look:

1. Raymond has come back stronger and better and I love the way he is playing. He can be a 25 goal scorer again in this league and is proving it. Keeps playing that way going forward he will no doubt.

2. He is small. As the OP said, in the playoffs his game will disappear, and given our size issues on the third line really need that line to get bigger for a run.

3. His value is at probably an all time high. Guy scores 25, back to back poor seasons, comes back from a terrible injury, showing a great deal of heart and mental toughness...and thus the reason many legitimately want to keep him, which I get.

4. But, market value, size, team needs, its about filling gaps. If the Lou deal can do it on its own, yes you keep him, good depth scoring, can move up and down 2/3 and has an element of speed most teams dont have. Not to mention his chemistry with Schroeder. BUT our goal is to win the cup.

5. If we can get a 20 goal, 3rd line center with grit back (positional trade). Other side needs speed and a second line winger, we need a gritty 3rd liner who can chip in, you make the deal. Won't hurt scoring depth that much, you add size, lose a bit of speed but so be it.

then your lines are more balanced and better ready for a cup run.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder (make him the playmaker on that line)

Higgins (Big Center) Burrows

Weise/Volpatti Manny/Lapierre Hansen

I sure like that line up, that third line becomes a line most teams would love as its second- its asset mgmt.

Again, if you can manage that with the Lou deal, he why bother, otherwise I think its a smart move.

Gillis should trade Kassian too while his value is high.

Both Sedins haven't been quite up to their usual standards, we should trade them before their value goes down.

Booth was expected to play better this season, now that he's more comfortable with the team, but then maybe he wont. We should trade him in-case he ends up struggling out of the gate.

Kesler is almost ready to go, but what if he gets re-injured. We should trade him before that has a chance to happen.

Schneider and Luongo are both playing very well, we should trade them both while their value is highest.

Bieksa has 3 goals in 4 games, a pace that wont last. We should trade him while he's scoring as many goals as Ovechkin.

Jensen is our top prospect not in the NHL, so we should trade him in-case he doesn't play well in the NHL.

Hansen's been hot lately, we should trade him ASAP.

Schroeder's only getting 3rd line minutes, we should trade him soon before AV puts him on the 4th line.

i'd say more like edge and some size but we don't have a intimidating guy like we used to and people forget that, that is what we need again.. who was that guy? Donald Brashear.. if we had another guy identical to him right now and a guy like a youger pronger on D... whoaaaaaaa just picture that for a second.. seriously... yes we have *some grit* i give you that but not like we truly need...

I would just keep him unless it is necessary to throw him into a trade to acquire something Gillis believes we need more than anything. I was a critic of Raymond but he's worked hard and has redeemed himself. I'm all for Raymond and cheering him on. I'm just hoping the days of his double digit game pointless streaks are gone.

If this were an 82 game season, he'd be on pace for 55 points which is slightly better than his best season.

Question is what can we get for him straight up? That would be the preferred trade to make, packaging him will just be like throwing away his contract. Only way that works out is if we get a player like Versteeg for him, then I'm all in. lol But he's been playing really good right now anyways, so it's definitely not a loss if we "have" keep him. :rolleyes:

Raymond is playing much better this year and he even has the guts to go to the crease. All teams which had won the Cup had at least 3 or even 4 scoring lines. Keep Raymond and the Schroeder, Hansen line intact and the Canucks will have at least 3 scoring lines when Kesler is back. And when Booth is back in the lineup, the Canucks will have 4 scoring lines because Lapiierre and whoever is dropped to that line can also score. Keep the present roster and let the guys have a healthy fight for playing time and the Canucks will again be a force in the playoffs.

Archived