The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Raymond while his value is up?

ButterBean

Sorry, I agree to a point. I am just sick of when our team is playing well or not they thinks it is a great time to trade away half the team. This is what got Lou on the block in the first place. I am not saying you have to like Raymond but he has been on our team for many years and deserves some respect. Hell the guy literally broke his back for us in the playoffs. Lets not trade away a guy that has shown signs of being the player we always thought he could have been and not now when that line seems to be clicking so well. It just seems like a dumb move. I am just stating my opinion. It is up to you to post if you disagree.

Nobody is going to make a decent offer for a guy who is on a 1 year deal. PERIOD. We lack scoring in the playoffs, no reason to trade quality depth scoring.

Raymond is not the mold of player that fades away in the playoffs, how many more "power forwards" and "bruisers" do we need to watch go pointless series after series before people get this. Speed and skill are what is needed, something Raymond brings to the table, if he's on his game, he's gonna contribute.

Please stop calling him soft, this is a guy who broke his back, then skated off the ice, like a boss. A guy who takes a puck to the face, spits out the blood and then scores, again, like a boss.

This is the problem. No one thinks about the OP's comment. Look:

1. Raymond has come back stronger and better and I love the way he is playing. He can be a 25 goal scorer again in this league and is proving it. Keeps playing that way going forward he will no doubt.

2. He is small. As the OP said, in the playoffs his game will disappear, and given our size issues on the third line really need that line to get bigger for a run.

3. His value is at probably an all time high. Guy scores 25, back to back poor seasons, comes back from a terrible injury, showing a great deal of heart and mental toughness...and thus the reason many legitimately want to keep him, which I get.

4. But, market value, size, team needs, its about filling gaps. If the Lou deal can do it on its own, yes you keep him, good depth scoring, can move up and down 2/3 and has an element of speed most teams dont have. Not to mention his chemistry with Schroeder. BUT our goal is to win the cup.

5. If we can get a 20 goal, 3rd line center with grit back (positional trade). Other side needs speed and a second line winger, we need a gritty 3rd liner who can chip in, you make the deal. Won't hurt scoring depth that much, you add size, lose a bit of speed but so be it.

Nobody is going to make a decent offer for a guy who is on a 1 year deal. PERIOD. We lack scoring in the playoffs, no reason to trade quality depth scoring.

Raymond is not the mold of player that fades away in the playoffs, how many more "power forwards" and "bruisers" do we need to watch go pointless series after series before people get this. Speed and skill are what is needed, something Raymond brings to the table, if he's on his game, he's gonna contribute.

Please stop calling him soft, this is a guy who broke his back, then skated off the ice, like a boss. A guy who takes a puck to the face, spits out the blood and then scores, again, like a boss.

Forget straight up but packaged with a roster player/prospect/pick or something. Fact is our forward core still needs some more size/toughness and Raymond has never put up good playoff numbers and I don't expect to change that all of a sudden. Last year he had little stretches where he played well like this too and he has trouble doing is consistently.

I'm not too sure we have the same definition of bruisers/power forwards, especially if you think we have too many. Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Lappy, Weise, Kesler and Booth are good checkers and energy players but are by no means bruisers, and certainly not experienced scrappers. A solid hit time to time but not consistent with big hits. The Sedins, Schroeder, and Raymond obviously don't play a tough game either. So that leaves Kassian, Volpatti, and Bieksa on D(imo), and even they have had their fair share of being on the bad side of some fights. Of course speed and skill are needed, but size and toughness are just as important and Stanley Cup champions these days have a mix of both.

Back on Raymond though, even though he looked good against Boston and LA, there still isn't offensive production. His role is to put up points. Being on the 2nd line of a Stanley Cup winning team would require some of that, no? It's all good that he used his speed to stay in the offensive zone and make defensive plays but we already have plenty of guys who have that role, just minus the elite speed.

I'm not too sure we have the same definition of bruisers/power forwards, especially if you think we have too many. Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Lappy, Weise, Kesler and Booth are good checkers and energy players but are by no means bruisers, and certainly not experienced scrappers. A solid hit time to time but not consistent with big hits. The Sedins, Schroeder, and Raymond obviously don't play a tough game either. So that leaves Kassian, Volpatti, and Bieksa on D(imo), and even they have had their fair share of being on the bad side of some fights. Of course speed and skill are needed, but size and toughness are just as important and Stanley Cup champions these days have a mix of both.

Back on Raymond though, even though he looked good against Boston and LA, there still isn't offensive production. His role is to put up points. Being on the 2nd line of a Stanley Cup winning team would require some of that, no? It's all good that he used his speed to stay in the offensive zone and make defensive plays but we already have plenty of guys who have that role, just minus the elite speed.

He's 3rd on the team in points and this season he's playing very well. But will it translate in the playoffs? I don't think so. His game isn't suited for the playoffs and he'll get pushed around, pluis he could fetch a decent return straight up or packaged with Luongo. Some teams could use his skillset more than us. Not trying to be a downer, or a "hater", and I realize our team is doing well now. We can always improve.

"We lack scoring in the playoffs, no reason to trade quality depth scoring"...............................You obviously haven't looked at Raymond's playoff stats because if you had, then you wouldn't have made this statement. Raymond has 2 goals in his last 29 playoff games, so please enlighten us as to how he's going to help with our lack of playoff scoring when he's one of the main culprits in NOT providing any playoff scoring despite being given every opportunity to do so?

Archived