The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to fix this powerplay

DownUndaCanuck

The Sedins are a big problem on the powerplay right now as well. They essentially just pass the puck back and forth on the halfboards. The pk can just stand there and watch, where are the cycle plays that the Sedins were doing back when they were winning trophies. Way wayyyyyyyyyy too little movement.

The Sedins are a big problem on the powerplay right now as well. They essentially just pass the puck back and forth on the halfboards. The pk can just stand there and watch, where are the cycle plays that the Sedins were doing back when they were winning trophies. Way wayyyyyyyyyy too little movement.

I agree with the first 2 points, but not #3... If we rely solely on our D to provide special teams scoring, it won't solve the problem, just band-aid them. We need our forward to do most of the goal scoring. They (PP unit) need to keep shooting instead of waiting for the perfect play that looks pretty!

Actually Henrik must shoot more. Which he did tonight.

For a guy that has such great vision, it confuses me how many time he has a lane to shoot when he QBs from the right wall, but elects to pass.

You KNOW he is scouted to pass by the opposition, so many PKèrs are unwilling to clamp on him at the half wall, they know he has 2 safe options to pass.

Which is why he must shoot. Shoot if he sees net...or shoot low for rebounds and scrambles. The PK will not expect it.

The PP places far too much reliance on the Sedins. I'd like to see them split up; one guy on each unit. (I'm not sure Daniel even deserves to be on the second unit the way he's playing.) It makes no sense to me to give the twins most of the PP time no matter how poorly they're playing.

We need a new look; teams know exactly what's going to happen. The coaching has become old and stale, and needs to be replaced.

The PP places far too much reliance on the Sedins. I'd like to see them split up; one guy on each unit. (I'm not sure Daniel even deserves to be on the second unit the way he's playing.) It makes no sense to me to give the twins most of the PP time no matter how poorly they're playing.

The drop pass is not an issue and almost every team uses it or some version of it. For the most part entering the zone isn't the problem. Its simply not enough shots and not enough effort. They're continually getting out worked in the rare case of rebounds and loose pucks. That 5 on 3 was absolutely pathetic. Edler and Hamhuis are hanging out the blue line. Why? They should be a good 5-10 feet closer firing one timers. It shouldn't have anything to do with who's on the PP, the plan and execution is unacceptable.

The drop pass isn't the problem. Their set up is. The Canucks never "close" in the box. They're always so spread out on the man advantage. When you're that spread out you need to be looking for cross-seam one-timers, which no one wants to do.

They're still missing their best powerplay presence in Kesler. He's a shooter and a better net presence than Burrows.

They need a major shake-up. Put Garrison back on for some heavier shots. Take more shots form the half-wall. And if they're going to use this modified umbrella where Henrik floats around the slot, he needs to be sliding into the soft spots between the defense and forwards for one-timers. If he doesn't want to do this, someone else needs to.

At this point, they're probably just over-thinking it too. No confidence and it just gets worse.

1. Fire Newell Brown

2. Fire Rick Bowness

3. Fire Alain Vigneault

4. Hire coaches who are willing to use the right players on the PP and build a strategy around the players they have rather than trying to fit the players into the pre-determined strategy.

Come to think of it, #4 would also help with team defense and consistent scoring.

The drop pass isn't the problem. Their set up is. The Canucks never "close" in the box. They're always so spread out on the man advantage. When you're that spread out you need to be looking for cross-seam one-timers, which no one wants to do.

They're still missing their best powerplay presence in Kesler. He's a shooter and a better net presence than Burrows.

They need a major shake-up. Put Garrison back on for some heavier shots. Take more shots form the half-wall. And if they're going to use this modified umbrella where Henrik floats around the slot, he needs to be sliding into the soft spots between the defense and forwards for one-timers. If he doesn't want to do this, someone else needs to.

At this point, they're probably just over-thinking it too. No confidence and it just gets worse.

What I found most bizarre on the 5 on 3 was how far away Edler was from the net. He stood basically where he would on a normal power play which makes no sense. You need to collapse the PK's triangle if you want to use the point shot, which is quite obviously what they wanted to do.

It seems as though they are afraid of putting the puck on net, and are content with passing it around until the tap in chance is there. The Canucks need to adopt a more Chicago/LA mentality and just throw puck on net and try jamming it in.

This is how we fix the powerplay:

1) Take Burrows off the first unit. He's good with the Sedins in cycling the puck and is great 5-on-5, but isn't our best man in front of the net. Our PP has been brutal the entire time he's been on it and needs to go. Our best crease presence is Hansen but Booth, Higgins and Kassian are all better at screening than Burrows. Burrows is far too easy to handle - simply just isn't big enough.

2) Replace Hamhuis with Garrison. Garrison has to be the only defenceman who's getting shots through traffic, and he's our biggest shot. He proved his worth in his limited time on the second unit, while Hamhuis couldn't get anything on net, either could Bieksa.

3) Work the point shot. Henrik and Daniel should be soley focused on setting up Edler or Garrison for a one timer. Both are left handed, so with Henrik controlling on the left half-boards he can set up the LD and the LD can set up the RD for a one time slapshot. Daniel hovering in the slot for a big rebound and the net presence looking for a deflection or rebound.

0 for 33 is unacceptable.

I disagree that Burrows is not good at screening the goalie.

I also think your plan to have Henrik focus on feeding the dmen for the shot would get too predictable.

I think that most of the problem is that we pass it around the outside too much and no one takes the puck to the front of the goal.

I agree that Garrison should be on the first PP unit.

Archived