The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Its been discussed before, but I too have a feeling that to get the right young player to help move the franchise forward in any Luongo deal, that the Canucks may be taking on a bad contract to buy out.... eg: niederrieter + dipietro for luongo.

it makes sense for Gillis to present Aquillini with the idea to raise ticket prices to pay for this buyout aswell, which will cost them around 1.5 million per year for the next 16 years according to capgeek.

the fans will pay for the buyout, but will also get to see a young stud added to the lineup. If I were the owner, this is the kind of proposal Id like to see from my GM.

btw, Neiderrieter has looked absolutley fantastic at the WHCs. With 5 goals and 8 points in 9 games, he looks ready for the NHL.

LOL. Dyu honestly feel a GM could go to Aquilinni and ask him to spend $30 mill to get Nederreiter?

This ain't Lebron James or Wayne Gretzky here...

We're not necessarily taking it per say, we are turning it around and buying it out, essentially its a Lu + 30m for Neiderrieter

Schroeder is probably not needed to add to that deal.

How about Lou and Edler for Griffin Reinhart and Neiderreiter? Chuck in a first to close the deal if they entertain the discussion?

They get they're goalie, and Edler, both potential all stars for them next season when it will take longer for Reinhart to impact. They don't seem high on Nino, but we chuck in the first to even up any potential Reinhart offers (and because they are taking on salary).

I'd love to see Luo play in Florida where he wants to be, but I'd also love to see what the Islanders could do with him as their backstop.

I wasn't surprised by the Isles emergence this year - they were a team on the verge.

Imo they absolutely dominated Pittsburgh - the Pens were extremely fortunate to survive that series. The Islanders were relentless puck hounds, owned possession, tilted the ice, and made Pittsburgh looks slow and unable to stem the tide of their constant pressure.

There were only four Isles with a negative corsi on in that series - two of them were key shutdown guys - Hamonic and Cizikas - one was Grabner, who is (still) a bit of a floater.

The Isles also have some quality youth on their blueline, and if they can re-sign Streit (or equivalent) their future is pretty damn bright.

I've made my share of NYI proposals here, so I'm not going to repeat them, but the Isles sure have some interesting young guys...(Nelson, Neiderreiter, Cizikas, Okposo...)

How about Lou and Edler for Griffin Reinhart and Neiderreiter? Chuck in a first to close the deal if they entertain the discussion?

They get they're goalie, and Edler, both potential all stars for them next season when it will take longer for Reinhart to impact. They don't seem high on Nino, but we chuck in the first to even up any potential Reinhart offers (and because they are taking on salary).

I didn't know Nino wants out, LETS GET HIM!!!!!

We don't need something for later ex:2 prospects and nothing less, we are still a team that can make the playoffs. So why would we be getting 2 prospects for 2 roster players? It is obvious that a couple of steps can make us into a cup contending team. I just think it is stupid to trade for the future.

We don't need something for later ex:2 prospects and nothing less, we are still a team that can make the playoffs. So why would we be getting 2 prospects for 2 roster players? It is obvious that a couple of steps can make us into a cup contending team. I just think it is stupid to trade for the future.

Main reason is because the cap is dropping so much, we need to move salary and not retain salary back. So Lu for prospect and Booth/Ballard for picks makes sense.

Many teams are going to need to rely on their prospects taking a step and taking roster spots next year, thankfully we have Kassian, Tanev, Corrado who are for sure going to make the team and we have Gaunce / Jensen / Sauve who have a shot to impress and stick.

Will be interesting to see how the offseason shapes up but I for sure want to see Eriksson on our team

Yea but that doesn't mean getting slightly worse, you just gotta pick the players that are cheap who are in their el contracts or long term cheap contract that are good players. We are only getting worse. If you play it smart, you won't get worse.

... honestly I'm not sure what you are getting at here, earlier you said you'd like to see us get Nino Neiderreiter and now you are saying we should be getting roster players instead... while there is no guarantee that any prospect will be able to jump in and claim a roster spot, there is also no guarantee that a "money ball" type player will be able to perform to expectation on our roster (e.g. Roy, Pahlsson, Ballard, Booth, Sturm).

Every team in the league rely's on a prospect to contribute considerably, so while we may be adding prospects or expecting them to earn roster spots does not mean we are getting worse.

Neidererrieter is a EURO, This team needs to get some heart and desire, get tougher and meaner, so PLEASE trade our assets like luongo for some North American players. Enough with the Euros. Out with the sisters too. Get this team some players with heart desire and passion to play when the real season begins PLAYOFF TIME!!!!!..........end rant!!

Neidererrieter is a EURO, This team needs to get some heart and desire, get tougher and meaner, so PLEASE trade our assets like luongo for some North American players. Enough with the Euros. Out with the sisters too. Get this team some players with heart desire and passion to play when the real season begins PLAYOFF TIME!!!!!..........end rant!!

Toews, Dustin Brown or a clone please.......Nothing wrong with a few Euros, I just dont like Euros as our leaders.......D Alfredsson or Lidstrom were the rare exeptions......Get us some Canadians please!!!

Toews, Dustin Brown or a clone please.......Nothing wrong with a few Euros, I just dont like Euros as our leaders.......D Alfredsson or Lidstrom were the rare exeptions......Get us some Canadians please!!!

The Canucks do need futures - not necessarily because the prospect pool is bare, but because they obviously need to shed more than just Luo's cap value in hit. Trading Luo and moving a few other guys for roster players of comparable value isn't really an option, unless a few other guys like Ballard and Booth are moved without roster cap hits returning. Luo pretty much needs to be moved for prospects and futures imo, and I think the best options are guys nearing NHL readiness or RFAs. I don't know what the Canucks intentions for Ballard and Booth are, but if some roster players were moved exclusively for prospects/futures, that wouldn't preclude them from then adding to the roster to compensate through free agency or other deals.

Of course we need to shed the salary, but we need something to somehow fill the void of Booth of he leaves, and of course we aren't skilled enough like we once were so we need to get more skill into the roster. Jensen and Gaunce aren't going to make us a great team by only them 2. We need to improve, upgrade players. EX: Hansen < _____, Burrows < _____. By doing that we need to become cheaper obviously it is hard, but that is what GMs do right? He has to take a chance on some players which he said he will on some of our prospects but he has to go out there and trade some of our core players for cheaper,younger,better players.

Archived