The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

He had a groin injury... "HAD" if it wasn't healed they wouldnt bench the teams MVP of the two previous games for him

At the end of the day luongo gave the team a chance to win games one and two. Cory didn't give us a chance for three and four even though the team infront of him was more awake

Wonder if Florida would consider a Luongo for Campbell + pick (2nd / 3rd) cap hit is slightly more but for shorter term.

It would have to be contingent on another Dman getting moved - most likely Edler or Bieksa & Booth + Ballard getting moved / bought out.

Gives canucks a PP dman that already works well with Garrison, gets out from under the 8 or 9 seasons left on Luongos deal & a decently high pick

Florida saves a bit of salary for the next 2 seasons, they get a former franchise piece that may help sell tickets & they get a steady cap hit (not sure how many 6.7m seasons left for Luongo) for the forseeable future which will help them stay at the cap floor.

Its not the most glamourous move for Gillis but it does work on a couple of levels & I do think the powerplay would only get better with a Campbell - Garrison pairing on the point

I am also curious about Washington as well after a pretty poor showing in game 7 by Holtby if they would make a pitch for Luongo (highly doubtful but still that was an ugly game 7 loss)

Good post. Reimer was neither a rock, nor scapegoat.

Hopefully it's not just Nonis as a GM who has tuned out MG; which appears may now be the case. MG is going to have to put value on the table to make deals this summer. Card sharks will be smelling blood, and only a real offer on our part will get things done.

I like Reimer. He has work to do besides his rebound control - he's got that Luongo jumpiness to him - but he was a young goaltender in his first playoffs.

I wasn't entirely confident in his positioning, but still, I like how he played, and there's no way that loss can be hung on him.

He had a great series and will only get better.

I can't see Gillis and Nonis even talking, let alone getting a deal done.

I think it's NYI or Florida, or some longer shots in Philly, NJ, Pittsburgh, Buffalo...

You do realize that

1) Schneider was thrown in after not playing for two weeks

2) Schneider was still injured

3) Schneider is horrible in San Jose

4) Luongo's condo is on sale

Need I or anyone else say more?

Good post. Reimer was neither a rock, nor scapegoat.

Hopefully it's not just Nonis as a GM who has tuned out MG; which appears may now be the case. MG is going to have to put value on the table to make deals this summer. Card sharks will be smelling blood, and only a real offer on our part will get things done.

Folks,

there will be a market for Luongo this summer.

Philly, NYI, FLA are all in NEED of a goalie. Philly will buy out Bryz this is obvious, Islanders have a 41 yr old Nabakov and a team that is now ready to push, Luongo adds a TON of value there. FLA - Markstrom crapped the bed, he is not ready and if they play him they will break him, FLA needs Lou as a tutor for 4 years (markstrom is 22), this would work well for them and then Lou backs up...makes alot of sense as well.

Toronto is a maybe. Reimer played up and down in the playoffs. Washington same thing. Anaheim needs a real goalie. New Jersey needs a Brodeur replacement. There is a market, and MG got lucky.

No need for a buyout.

You're also forgetting that Luongo isn't the only goalie on the market.

NY Islanders, New Jersey, Washington, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Pittsburgh are the only teams that might be looking for a goalie, and this is with Mike Smith, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Bernier, Niklas Backstrom, MA Fleury, Ilya Bryzgalov, and others on the market. Luongo will have the worst contract out of all of these players (if Bryzgalov gets bought out) and he will have the longest term. Florida won't get Luongo unless if they think that Markstrom won't be an NHL ready starter until he's 31, which is kind of doubtful.

The Canucks will have 3 options

1) Buy-out Luongo

2) Trade him for a severely reduced return

3) Trade Schneider instead

THAT sir..was not spectacular goaltending...some great saves yes, precipitated by poor positioning but great recovery....not text book by any stretch of the imagination...if you played goal..you might know that.

Lol. There are a few times that would love to have Luongo. Did you not see Nabokov's GAA against Pittsburgh? Doesn't mean they want him, and most who might, won't pay the price. I'm sure something will happen at the draft.

Archived