The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Opening Faceoff Goal

The Magician

I'm not sure why everyone says "Kassian should get out there and protect the Sedins"..he is not their "Protector" -

The sedins are big boys, and can handle themselves. Why they got pushed around in the finals, I'm not sure. These guys go to the dirty areas day in and day out, they get shoved and pushed around, and still manage to be PPG players. They do not need Kassian to fight for them -

Having a bigger team all around (Kassian/Weise/Lapierre etc.) makes other teams think twice about going after the Sedins. You hit daniel, we'll put out our bruisers and hit you. You don't need to be on the same line to do that - it's honestly the coaches call to do that - when the other team sends their skilled players, you send out your intimidators..they intimidate.

I personally think you play Higgins/Kesler/Kassian - why? Kassian doesn't need the puck, neither does Higgins. Higgins will dig that puck out, and Kassian is more than happy to pass - we all know Kesler shoots first - that works

Its not about "defending" the Sedin's!

Its about a smash mouth hockey; a guy who can physically duel a Shea Weber or Zdeno Chara on the boards. Kass ain't going to beat them, but the goal is space for the Twins Burrows cannot offer.

Dealing with the Marchands of the world is merely a bonus!

The Sedins style is one of the reasons Kassian was borought in. They have been of very limited effectiveness in post-season play where liberties are not only allowed but encouraged by the NHL.

The Sedins are talented enough to adapt and if they can play without fear of being abused, they should be more effective.

Burrows is not the guy to be defending the Sedins. Waiting until the playoffs and then putting Zack in that position without having given him a chance to get comfortable with teh Sedins is a poor strategy an dboudn to fail.

so by playing with the Sedins he gains the magical power to stickhandle and drive to the net?

I don't think who he plays with makes a difference, as long as he's playing with other offensive-minded players. Whether its the Sedins, Kesler, or Roy, he should be able to. Its just that he doesn't know how to play consistently yet, which will hopefully come with time.

Lol,,I dont know if you are true or trolling?? but he can be a very good player, he has all the tools, you cant teach size and mental makeup and Kass needs a bit of a mental tuneup,,,so if the stars align with Jupiter, we have a budding power forward=aka=Bertuzzi in the making..he may be better,,he may be worse but in any case the kid needs to play and build his talent and ego...I want a big headed, big bodied, big tough guy Kass, but he needs a little help from his coach as well..this kid had a rough growing up..his Dad died early and he was raised by his Mom and brother,,he has the tools,,now all he needs is the tool kit.

I want nothing but good things for this kid,,

Lol,,I dont know if you are true or trolling?? but he can be a very good player, he has all the tools, you cant teach size and mental makeup and Kass needs a bit of a mental tuneup,,,so if the stars align with Jupiter, we have a budding power forward=aka=Bertuzzi in the making..he may be better,,he may be worse but in any case the kid needs to play and build his talent and ego...I want a big headed, big bodied, big tough guy Kass, but he needs a little help from his coach as well..this kid had a rough growing up..his Dad died early and he was raised by his Mom and brother,,he has the tools,,now all he needs is the tool kit.

I want nothing but good things for this kid,,

How about having Roy on another line instead of putting all our centers on one line. We lack center depth and this doesn't make sense at all. Kesler is better off playing with Higgins and Kassian or Hansen. While we could have another line that features Raymond and Roy. We should have 3 scoring lines and one energy/shutdown line when everyone is healthy again.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kassian-Kesler-Hansen

Raymond-Roy-Higgins

Weise-Lappy-Sestito

Give the 1st line 18 minutes

2nd line 18 minutes

3rd line 16 minutes

4th line 8 minutes

This will spread out scoring, and it makes us a 4 line team. It gives a better balance and makes it harder for other teams to match up rather than just stacking up one to two lines.

Archived