The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

36 minutes ago, taxi said:

You cannot calculate body fat with a formula. You can get a rough idea with visual inspection, but even then, people carry fat in different places. Only a precessional can estimate body fat with any accuracy.

Also unless your prepping for mr. Olympia, you probably don't need to pay so much attention to your macros. Get the right amount of calories and protein. Don't worry too much about the rest.

Even dexa scan results have been questionable, whole point is to track progress. 

Macros aren't hard to track if you have a smartphone. Do they have to match 100% everyday? No. 

The weather has been great, and I've been taking this opportunity to walk to work, walk at lunch, walk home from work, and do this outdoor stair climb everyday during the Evening, around 6 or 7, as well as applying sunscreen through out the day.  The stair climb is really tough on me, but I do it, walking really fast up.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

I wanna gain weight as much as possible per month. My goal is half a pound a month.

Eating healthy food though. Which is expensive to get.

I find I don't have the time or interest or know how to put together a solid daily meal plan.

Working different shifts has got me sleeping and waking up different times and eating earlier or later than I normally would.

I am finding it hard to metabolize and digest food also.

Any advice?

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I wanna gain weight as much as possible per month. My goal is half a pound a month.

Eating healthy food though. Which is expensive to get.

I find I don't have the time or interest or know how to put together a solid daily meal plan.

Working different shifts has got me sleeping and waking up different times and eating earlier or later than I normally would.

I am finding it hard to metabolize and digest food also.

Any advice?

Half a pound a month is pretty easy.

Regular compound workouts and calorie surplus will get you there pretty easily.

2 hours ago, taxi said:

Half a pound a month is pretty easy.

Regular compound workouts and calorie surplus will get you there pretty easily.

Which foods do you recommend that are the most nutrient dense and can be eaten and prepared in 30 minutes or less.

This shift work has got my sleep and eating schedule all kinds of screwed up right now.

Metabolism is real slow because some days I have lunch at 10:30 on others at 3 or 4 pm.

25 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Which foods do you recommend that are the most nutrient dense and can be eaten and prepared in 30 minutes or less.

This shift work has got my sleep and eating schedule all kinds of screwed up right now.

Metabolism is real slow because some days I have lunch at 10:30 on others at 3 or 4 pm.

Start eating avocados, mad nutrients and high fats. Nuts are a  great healthy snack too.

I'm not great at preparing full meals yet but snacks I'm an expert on lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Start eating avocados, mad nutrients and high fats. Nuts are a  great healthy snack too.

I'm not great at preparing full meals yet but snacks I'm an expert on lol

My go to is protein powder and toast or fryed egg and cheese sandwich for lunch when I only have less than 30 minutes to eat.

Might have it now lol.

Edited by Chip Kelly

22 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

My go to is protein powder and toast or fryed egg and cheese sandwich for lunch when I only have less than 30 minutes to eat.

Might have it now lol.

For breakfast I go with scrambled egg whites and steel cut oats with some cinnamon. Takes maybe 10 minutes to make and it's good for you.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

If your goal is to gain weight what is holding you back? Are you having trouble putting on weight? Are you looking to change your body composition and lose fat while putting on muscle?

30 minutes is also plenty of time for meal prep. I'd recommend slicing up and frying some chicken breast ahead of time. You should be able to do that in around 10 minutes. Once cooked you can keep that in the fridge for 4 days or so no problem. You can then build your meal around that protein source. If you're looking to lean out, you can combine that with vegetables that are also pre-cooked. Throw them in the frying pan to heat them up to crisp them up. Use different spice combinations to provide flavour and variety. 

If you're a hard gainer and having trouble putting on weight, then the only solution is to eat more calories. It's a myth that bodybuilders eat clean all year round. They eat clean and calorie restrict when trying to cut. Otherwise, just make sure you get enough protein.

• Upvote 1

Pulled my lower back doing deadlifts. Wanted to do 1 more set and back was too exhausted so definitely did it improperly. I could feel it happening

Can barely walk around or straighten my back without pain. Robaxin helped a bit but I am going to take today off work and probably a few days off lifting.

It definitely sucks being stupid. I probably should get a belt to keep my back straight from now on. Hopefully the pain subsides enough so I would be doing nothing for too long.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pulled my lower back doing deadlifts. Wanted to do 1 more set and back was too exhausted so definitely did it improperly. I could feel it happening

Can barely walk around or straighten my back without pain. Robaxin helped a bit but I am going to take today off work and probably a few days off lifting.

It definitely sucks being stupid. I probably should get a belt to keep my back straight from now on. Hopefully the pain subsides enough so I would be doing nothing for too long.

Do you take the slack out of the bar before beginning each rep? Do you do each rep from a dead stop or are they touch and go?

36 minutes ago, HI5 said:

These are pretty awesome fron Costco:

49-img-4833-1464143643-Ircm-column-width

Saves time and can make a variety of different meals with them. 

Costco is a god send for bulk food meal prep items.

Ours just started carrying the Kirkland Signature Protein Bars, Taste like Quest bars at half the price tag. (I feel like I recently mentioned this in the thread? Deja Vu!)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's my main problem with deadlifts too... so important to do but one bad form lift and you're feeling it for like a week

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Do you take the slack out of the bar before beginning each rep? Do you do each rep from a dead stop or are they touch and go?

Touch and go. I don't take the slack out.

I tried to keep as much tension as possible.

Also I pulled my back doing my lightest weight on my last set(other than warmup weight)

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Touch and go. I don't take the slack out.

I tried to keep as much tension as possible.

Also I pulled my back doing my lightest weight on my last set(other than warmup weight)

Take the slack out of the bar on every rep. Safer for your back and you'll pull more weight too.

Can always try the trap bar if your gym has one.  Easier on the back and can generally lift a little more. 

Flip it over and you got a deficit deadlift if ya want. 

For now just try icing/heating your back till it feels better.

5 hours ago, taxi said:

If your goal is to gain weight what is holding you back? Are you having trouble putting on weight? Are you looking to change your body composition and lose fat while putting on muscle?

30 minutes is also plenty of time for meal prep. I'd recommend slicing up and frying some chicken breast ahead of time. You should be able to do that in around 10 minutes. Once cooked you can keep that in the fridge for 4 days or so no problem. You can then build your meal around that protein source. If you're looking to lean out, you can combine that with vegetables that are also pre-cooked. Throw them in the frying pan to heat them up to crisp them up. Use different spice combinations to provide flavour and variety. 

If you're a hard gainer and having trouble putting on weight, then the only solution is to eat more calories. It's a myth that bodybuilders eat clean all year round. They eat clean and calorie restrict when trying to cut. Otherwise, just make sure you get enough protein.

It's this shift scheduling. Eating too early or late some days. My metabolism is shot right now I rarely feel hungry at the normal eating times.

When I do eat it takes me a long time to digest and takes me 10-15 minutes to finish taking a dump FFS.:picard: