The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 5/23/2017 at 9:14 PM, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

How long do you guys IF for? I usually average 16-18 hours, but if I really wanna shed some pounds, I aim for 20-21 hours before I finally eat.

6-8 hour window where I eat. I usually work out fasted too. It's been pretty great leaning out right now down almost 20 pounds. 

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

6-8 hour window where I eat. I usually work out fasted too. It's been pretty great leaning out right now down almost 20 pounds. 

I can never workout while fasted; I have no energy and feel like I'm gonna pass out. 

IF isn't really helping me anymore, since I've been doing it almost eveyday for about 2 years now. (about 16 hour averages)

Edited by CaNuCkSLoUiE23

1 hour ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I can never workout while fasted; I have no energy and feel like I'm gonna pass out. 

IF isn't really helping me anymore, since I've been doing it almost eveyday for about 2 years now. (about 16 hour averages)

Definitely don't think you should be doing it for that long without a break. It's always best to change things up, like with anything in life. I only use IF when I'm leaning out/cutting prior to and during the summer months. Even then I have 1 day per week as a cheat day/calorie load up. 

1 minute ago, Jägermeister said:

@CaNuCkSLoUiE23 @RRypien37

When you guys are doing IF, what do you guys do to like, you know... survive?

I've tried doing it a couple times but just feel so drained and useless.  If I tried fasting on a day I had to work I truly don't think I would be able to do my job.

IF isn't for everyone and it's totally what fits best into your lifestyle.

I did it when I first started my journey to lose 100LBs in 2011, I never usually had more than a coffee for breakfast and I really enjoyed eating 2 1,000+ calorie meals in a specific window. I would lift after work between my 2 meals and felt great'

Sometimes I did fasted cardio, but usually low intensity. 

Now I just count calories and eat whenever i'm hungry, IIFYM has been a life saver to my social life, when I did IF I seemed to make more excuses on why I couldn't go out for a beer because it was outside my 'window' lol.

On another note, I have been going to bodynetix here in town monday to friday and slowly getting it all back.

I have a wrecked back, wrecked knees and i'm just generally out of shape...I have been going hard for 3 weeks now and have lost almost 10LBs but also battling to beat my asthma, lots of plyo and body weight exercises that I would never do on my own. I would always just lift heavier and do compounds but my cardio was junk and now I feel so much better when I wake up, less soreness overall and a better mind set.

I can't believe I let myself go from 180 back up to around 240...Not worth the work I am putting in now to get back to around 200. (180 on my frame was just too small).

7 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

IF isn't for everyone and it's totally what fits best into your lifestyle.

I did it when I first started my journey to lose 100LBs in 2011, I never usually had more than a coffee for breakfast and I really enjoyed eating 2 1,000+ calorie meals in a specific window. I would lift after work between my 2 meals and felt great'

Sometimes I did fasted cardio, but usually low intensity. 

Now I just count calories and eat whenever i'm hungry, IIFYM has been a life saver to my social life, when I did IF I seemed to make more excuses on why I couldn't go out for a beer because it was outside my 'window' lol.

Yeah I generally follow a IIFYM diet for the flexibility and the fact that it's worked wonders for me so far, but I've always liked trying other methods of dieting just in case I found any that suited me better.

IF is just one that I haven't been able to wrap my head around.  Was I missing something?  Or is everyone doing it suffering as much as I did?  Huge hats off if they are.  

Edited by Jägermeister

2 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Yeah I generally follow a IIFYM diet for the flexibility and the fact that it's worked wonders for me so far, but I've always liked trying other methods of dieting just in case I found any that suited me better.

IF is just one that I haven't been able to wrap my head around.  Was I missing something?  Or is everyone doing it suffering as much as I did?  Huge hats off if they are.  

When I first read about it, people seemed to claim they would wake up still feeling full from their last big meal of the previous days eating window, That wasn't the case for me...I was usually extremely hungry by the time I dove in to my first meal of the day at around noon.

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

I've tried doing it a couple times but just feel so drained and useless.  If I tried fasting on a day I had to work I truly don't think I would be able to do my job.

Your body just gets used to it. I am a big eater and always hungry. If I can do it, anybody can. Start slow and allow your body to get acclimatized. However, as someone already mentioned, it's not for everybody.

I just like the idea of eating 1-3 bigger, satisfying meals in a shorter window then going throughout the day nibbling through tiny portions. 

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

Its really hard sometimes, especially if you're a big boy with a huge appetite like me (6'5, 230lbs). I just eat dinner by 5-6pm, then don't eat until 10am-noon. I can feel my stomach rumbling really bad at times but you get used to it. Usually when I'm at work, I'm really busy so time passes by really fast and i don't even think about eating. 

IF worked wonders for a friend of mine; I couldn't handle it, had a rough time with it. 

Flexible dieting tends to work better for myself. High to low carb as day progresses, may try carb cycling later on. 

So I've been exercising out of my norm this week, doing this outdoor stair climb by walking up all these stairs really fast every day after work, as well as walking to work, walking during lunch, and walking home from work, and eating 1500 calories, and burning 80 calories for the morning 30 minute walk, 160 calories at lunch for an hour, 80 calories for the 30 minute walk on my way home, and burning an unknown number from the outdoor stairs during the evening.

I stepped on the scale today, and it is a 2 pound weight gain.  My intention was to lose weight, not gain weight.  What am I doing wrong?  I've exercised less than this and ate the same - 1500 calories, and have lost weight.  And my foods are the same.  To me I consider a calorie a calorie, and as long as it fits into my daily calorie range, I will have it.

10 minutes ago, brilac said:

So I've been exercising out of my norm this week, doing this outdoor stair climb by walking up all these stairs really fast every day after work, as well as walking to work, walking during lunch, and walking home from work, and eating 1500 calories, and burning 80 calories for the morning 30 minute walk, 160 calories at lunch for an hour, 80 calories for the 30 minute walk on my way home, and burning an unknown number from the outdoor stairs during the evening.

I stepped on the scale today, and it is a 2 pound weight gain.  My intention was to lose weight, not gain weight.  What am I doing wrong?  I've exercised less than this and ate the same - 1500 calories, and have lost weight.  And my foods are the same.  To me I consider a calorie a calorie, and as long as it fits into my daily calorie range, I will have it.

Yup, you aren't wrong there.

You said earlier in the post it's over the course of a week? Just remember, weight loss isn't linear. You could calculate your TDEE and eat -300 calories each day for that week and say that is roughly .5 LB per week (Just numbers off the top of my head using an example) it won't always work that way.

I try not to go as much by what the scale says because there are lots of factors that could have the weight fluctuate from day to day, water retention, stomach contents, etc.

I'm sure some of the other guys can weigh in on this, as well. I had popcorn sort of late the other night, stepped on the scale the next morning and I was apparently 3 LBs heavier than my last weigh in, even though I have been crushing calories in workouts and been in a deficit for almost a month straight now haha.

45 minutes ago, brilac said:

I stepped on the scale today, and it is a 2 pound weight gain. 

Gainzzzzz bro..GAINZZZ!

It's prob not a big deal, weight fluctuates a lot. Just keep doin what you are and if you still keep gaining weight your prob in a calorie surplus. Then you can increase cardio or decrease calories.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Yup, you aren't wrong there.

You said earlier in the post it's over the course of a week? Just remember, weight loss isn't linear. You could calculate your TDEE and eat -300 calories each day for that week and say that is roughly .5 LB per week (Just numbers off the top of my head using an example) it won't always work that way.

I try not to go as much by what the scale says because there are lots of factors that could have the weight fluctuate from day to day, water retention, stomach contents, etc.

I'm sure some of the other guys can weigh in on this, as well. I had popcorn sort of late the other night, stepped on the scale the next morning and I was apparently 3 LBs heavier than my last weigh in, even though I have been crushing calories in workouts and been in a deficit for almost a month straight now haha.

Yes this was over a course of a week.  I'm keeping at it.  Those stairs are really tough on me, and I get quite the workout doing them.

7 hours ago, HI5 said:

Gainzzzzz bro..GAINZZZ!

It's prob not a big deal, weight fluctuates a lot. Just keep doin what you are and if you still keep gaining weight your prob in a calorie surplus. Then you can increase cardio or decrease calories.

I did the stair climb today, and it took me longer to get there.  I was on my way, and this crow started flying after me making it's crow sound.  I was running really fast. For the calorie range, I keep it at 1500, and then burn, ranging a total intake about 1200 since I started this diet a week and a half ago, but I was disappointed about the 2 pound weight gain, but I will keep at it.  

9 minutes ago, brilac said:

Yes this was over a course of a week.  I'm keeping at it.  Those stairs are really tough on me, and I get quite the workout doing them.

I did the stair climb today, and it took me longer to get there.  I was on my way, and this crow started flying after me making it's crow sound.  I was running really fast. For the calorie range, I keep it at 1500, and then burn, ranging a total intake about 1200 since I started this diet a week and a half ago, but I was disappointed about the 2 pound weight gain, but I will keep at it.  

I once had my Cheesies stolen by a crow.  I was doing my normal workout (driving my scooter to and from the market) when - on my way home - a crow swooped down making that crow sound and took my open bag of Cheesies right from my hand.  I found my workout regime only made me gain weight too.  

6 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Started doing that Freeletics HIIT a few days ago.

I'm so unfit I feel like I'm going to collapse afterwards. Getting out of bed in the morning is now a complex operation.

The first few weeks are tough but once you make it a habit it gets much easier and more enjoyable. Keep it up!

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2017 at 9:33 AM, brilac said:

Makes sense to me. To an extent. But I've also heard some competitive body builders personally say that this is a load of $&!#.