The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 4/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, RRypien37 said:

Going to take out this rage from this garbage lottery at the gym for the next 2 hours...

I find myself agreeing on a lot of your hockey opinions and thoughts.

Who would you be hoping for at 5?

55 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I find myself agreeing on a lot of your hockey opinions and thoughts.

Who would you be hoping for at 5?

Honestly speaking I haven't done enough research after the top 2 projected picks and it seems like a crap shoot from then on. 

Cody Glass is someone I am interested based on his size and style of play. After that I would be happy with any of Vilardi, Mittlestadt, Tippet and POTENTIALLY Rasmussen if he makes a significant jump in the final projections. It really is a toss up after the top 2 so my guess is as good as any at this point. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Honestly speaking I haven't done enough research after the top 2 projected picks and it seems like a crap shoot from then on. 

Cody Glass is someone I am interested based on his size and style of play. After that I would be happy with any of Vilardi, Mittlestadt, Tippet and POTENTIALLY Rasmussen if he makes a significant jump in the final projections. It really is a toss up after the top 2 so my guess is as good as any at this point. 

Ya, I was the same but then I thought of last year because I figured the obvious draft choice would have been Tkachuk.

Canucks drafting has sometimes went completely off board so I think i've started to prepare for other picks.

I agree on Glass, I like Mittlestadt's scouting report, sounds like an effortless 2-way player who shows up in the big games, sounds very similar to somebody the Canucks drafted back in '03. He just needs to work on his overall speed and I think he would be a nice pick at 5, but I have a feeling he won't be there at 5.

I'm not overly sold on Vilardi and I don't want Rasmussen because of the Virtanen effect (Big/Local).

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, I was the same but then I thought of last year because I figured the obvious draft choice would have been Tkachuk.

Canucks drafting has sometimes went completely off board so I think i've started to prepare for other picks.

I agree on Glass, I like Mittlestadt's scouting report, sounds like an effortless 2-way player who shows up in the big games, sounds very similar to somebody the Canucks drafted back in '03. He just needs to work on his overall speed and I think he would be a nice pick at 5, but I have a feeling he won't be there at 5.

I'm not overly sold on Vilardi and I don't want Rasmussen because of the Virtanen effect (Big/Local).

Thing is last year at least the top 5 was pretty much "set" so to speak (well asides from 5th because of our pick). But with this year after that top 2 it really is a guess. Can't remember the last time it was this open. I agree on your point with Rasmussen, but I kind of hope we get an additional pick at 10th-15th to take him. We desperately need size in the top 9. 

• Upvote 1

I've been pretty athletic most of my life, always in sports and in the gym. Probably didn't ever go more than two days without the gym from 2012 to 2016 (or an improvised workout if a gym was just not an option). But this year, since 2017 started, I've hardly gone at all and it feels terrible. I'm in the midst of a career change, so I am back at school (full time course load) and I'm still working about 28 hours per week. So finding time is a bit of an issue, but that sounds like an excuse to me. If I really needed to, I would be able to make time.

On the rare occasion over the past few months that I have gone, I constantly feel guiltly that I'm not studying or spending time with the Mrs (who is feeling a bit neglected with my more intensive schedule).

How has CDC busted gym slumps?

Edited by MattJVD

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I've been pretty athletic most of my life, always in sports and in the gym. Probably didn't ever go more than two days without the gym from 2012 to 2016 (or an improvised workout if a gym was just not an option). But this year, since 2017 started, I've hardly gone at all and it feels terrible. I'm in the midst of a career change, so I am back at school (full time course load) and I'm still working about 28 hours per week. So finding time is a bit of an issue, but that sounds like an excess to me. If I really needed to, I would be able to make time.

On the rare occasion over the past few months that I have gone, I constantly feel guiltly that I'm not studying or spending time with the Mrs (who is feeling a bit neglected with my more intensive schedule).

The "pump" and post work out feeling of endorphins flowing always has be coming back for more. The more you do it, the more you will want to keep going back and get the rhythm/routine set again.  

Edited by RRypien37
spelling
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Biggest thing I've found is finding and starting a new program. The gym can feel monotonous and boring if you've been doing the same thing for a while, and it's easy to skip workouts if all you're doing when you go is making stuff up on the fly. With a program you have a degree of accountability. For myself, even if I have to skip a day I'll double up the next day and do the workout I missed along with the new day's lift. 

And most importantly (imo) is doing something you enjoy- traditional weights, circuits, spin classes, whatever it is. You have to enjoy it or you won't want to do it. Human nature I guess. 

I also find training for a specific goal helps big time. That seems obvious I guess. But whether it's training for a bodybuilding competition or just getting in better shape for beer league, having that end goal goes a long way.

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The "pump" and most work out feeling of endorphins flowing always has be coming back for more. The more you do it, the more you will want to keep going back and get the rhythm/routine set again.  

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Biggest thing I've found is finding and starting a new program. The gym can feel monotonous and boring if you've been doing the same thing for a while, and it's easy to skip workouts if all you're doing when you go is making stuff up on the fly. With a program you have a degree of accountability. For myself, even if I have to skip a day I'll double up the next day and do the workout I missed along with the new day's lift. 

And most importantly (imo) is doing something you enjoy- traditional weights, circuits, spin classes, whatever it is. You have to enjoy it or you won't want to do it. Human nature I guess. 

I also find training for a specific goal helps big time. That seems obvious I guess. But whether it's training for a bodybuilding competition or just getting in better shape for beer league, having that end goal goes a long way.

Thanks guys,

I'm thinking I'll write down a new programme, even just a 3x /week. Might be a bit of a grind to get there the first few times, but like RRypien said, hopefully a few hard sessions and I'll be hooked again. 

I like to train for powerlifting, never seriously thought about competing, I just like to bench, squat, and deadlift heavy ass weight. I've had some pretty noticable strength loss over the last four months, which is pretty demoralizing. I know the only way to fix that is to get back there and put the reps in.

Start of the monthhhh!

Weighed in 198.6lbs this morning..bit heavier than I wanted. Going to be tracking every morning now so I can make better adjustments to my macros, once I get a better average. 

Estimated around 19-21% bf which was higher than expected via naval measurements.  

Time to go get it!

13 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I've been putting out going to the gym for about 2 years.  Bad back that never seems to quite heal right.  

After seeing lots of friends on my FB and instagram start heading to the gym, it kinda brought back out the competitive side of me.  Plus, losing weight and developing stronger core muscle.... might not fix my back, but it certainly would potentially alleviate some stress that may be hindering the recovery process.  

Plus, I always want to complete the Spartan Race trifecta....

17 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Start of the monthhhh!

Weighed in 198.6lbs this morning..bit heavier than I wanted. Going to be tracking every morning now so I can make better adjustments to my macros, once I get a better average. 

Estimated around 19-21% bf which was higher than expected via naval measurements.  

Time to go get it!

Weighing yourself everyday is a bit of a waste. You'll naturally fluctuate by a few pounds based on what you eat, hydration, time of day, etc...

15 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I've been pretty athletic most of my life, always in sports and in the gym. Probably didn't ever go more than two days without the gym from 2012 to 2016 (or an improvised workout if a gym was just not an option). But this year, since 2017 started, I've hardly gone at all and it feels terrible. I'm in the midst of a career change, so I am back at school (full time course load) and I'm still working about 28 hours per week. So finding time is a bit of an issue, but that sounds like an excuse to me. If I really needed to, I would be able to make time.

Get the Mrs. to join up and come with.

Me and my girlfriend go to the gym at some point practically every day we get to spend together.  Some days she will make me go when I don't want to, other days I make her go when she doesn't want to.  It's a lot easier to get in the habit of going when you've got somebody who will get mad at you if you try and bail :lol:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, taxi said:

Weighing yourself everyday is a bit of a waste. You'll naturally fluctuate by a few pounds based on what you eat, hydration, time of day, etc...

Plan is to weigh myself first thing in the morning everyday and take the average of 7 days. Goals to hit the 1-2lbs decrease a week and I'm good. 

• 3 weeks later...

IDK what my macros should be if I am bulking.

I am roughly 235lbs and guessing around 25% bodyfat at 6'3''(191cm). I can take a picture of myself if it would help at all.

Which the extra weight already on me do I need to be consuming a lot of fats. Should my proteins be the highest? They say 1g of protein per pound but 235g(940 calories) of protein is a lot.

I am guessing I don't need to be consuming 4k calories a day and could probably get by with 2500-3000.

30 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IDK what my macros should be if I am bulking.

I am roughly 235lbs and guessing around 25% bodyfat at 6'3''(191cm). I can take a picture of myself if it would help at all.

Which the extra weight already on me do I need to be consuming a lot of fats. Should my proteins be the highest? They say 1g of protein per pound but 235g(940 calories) of protein is a lot.

I am guessing I don't need to be consuming 4k calories a day and could probably get by with 2500-3000.

For me personally I generally try to keep my caloric intake around 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs.  Has worked well for when I was trying to lose weight and for when I have been trying to add, so I just try to stick around those percentages all the time.  Hitting 30% for protein isn't always easy, and on a week by week basis I'm usually hovering around 28%.

Also while I don't know how your body metabolizes or how much you are exercising, I feel like you will need to consume more than 2500 or 3000 calories a day to bulk when you are already sitting at 235.  I was consuming around 2700 calories a day while I was cutting down to 180 a few weeks ago, and I ultimately achieved that goal.  The past 3 weeks I've been at around 3000 a day and am sitting steadily in the 177-180 range (daily variances).

Of course, I'm far from an expert.  That is just what I have found to have worked for me so far.

Edited by Jägermeister

My current macros are at 40/40/20 (somedays 25ish)

All you can really do is experiment what works best for your body. I like my carbs  and protein high on a caloric deficit helps me stau full, maintain strength and energy for workouts. 

For bf% I just use the navy method, prob one the more simple ones and just use the same method throughout to see if I'm actually dropping. 

Another tool ive been using to keep track.  Lean mass divided by 0.9 to give me a better idea of what weight I need to be at to achieve 10% bf. 

https://www.thecalculator.co/health/Fat-Free-Mass-Index-(FFMI)-Calculator-794.html

38 minutes ago, HI5 said:

My current macros are at 40/40/20 (somedays 25ish)

All you can really do is experiment what works best for your body. I like my carbs  and protein high on a caloric deficit helps me stau full, maintain strength and energy for workouts. 

For bf% I just use the navy method, prob one the more simple ones and just use the same method throughout to see if I'm actually dropping. 

Another tool ive been using to keep track.  Lean mass divided by 0.9 to give me a better idea of what weight I need to be at to achieve 10% bf. 

https://www.thecalculator.co/health/Fat-Free-Mass-Index-(FFMI)-Calculator-794.html

You cannot calculate body fat with a formula. You can get a rough idea with visual inspection, but even then, people carry fat in different places. Only a precessional can estimate body fat with any accuracy.

Also unless your prepping for mr. Olympia, you probably don't need to pay so much attention to your macros. Get the right amount of calories and protein. Don't worry too much about the rest.