The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Grouse Grind best times?

Mine is 44 minutes. That was a long time ago when I was a lot lighter and a lot more ripped.

1 hour and 30 mins.  I lollygag when I do it because it's all up hill. But I will not be lollying around at the Space Needle.  I did the Grouse Grind Challenge back in 2014, and all I thought was - pancakes, there are pancakes at the top!

Today I did a 20 min run/walk on the treadmill, running at a speed of 5 miles and 3 for walking. Just getting a feel of what I can do. I am not a runner, but this would be a fun thing to do once I get the hang of it, and it was easy at this pace. After that, I went walking for an hour as a post workout. Next time I run/walk on the treadmill, I will step it up a notch running at a faster speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not working out, just went on a very doable meal plan a while ago. Have gone down from 190 to 170. However, I've hit the wall and have been stuck at 170 for 2 weeks now. But I went through that at 178, so it'll pass. Just frustrating. Would like to hit 160 by the end of the year.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

Still not working out, just went on a very doable meal plan a while ago. Have gone down from 190 to 170. However, I've hit the wall and have been stuck at 170 for 2 weeks now. But I went through that at 178, so it'll pass. Just frustrating. Would like to hit 160 by the end of the year.

You can't really measure weight loss accurately week to week. Too many variables like bloating, water weight, hydration, etc...

How tall are you? 

2 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Just competed in the BC powerlifting meet last weekend. 

Competed in the 74 kg division

179 kg squat

120 kg bench

215 kg deadlift

deadlift needs to go way up. my grip is so bad

If you can do a 120 bench you should be able to do way more on your DL.   Way more.   A good ratio is over two for certain.   As far as grip, what do you do so differently?

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If you can do a 120 bench you should be able to do way more on your DL.   Way more.   A good ratio is over two for certain.   As far as grip, what do you do so differently?

A ratio over two seems like a lot to me.  I'd be waaaay off that benchmark as well.  

I know a lot of guys work towards a goal of 300/400/500.  I used something around those ratios for my own training, so my deadlift should be around 1.6 times what I can bench.  I can max bench 265lbs, but my deadlift is only at 405lbs, so I'm still pretty far off my own standards.

21 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

A ratio over two seems like a lot to me.  I'd be waaaay off that benchmark as well.  

I know a lot of guys work towards a goal of 300/400/500.  I used something around those ratios for my own training, so my deadlift should be around 1.6 times what I can bench.  I can max bench 265lbs, but my deadlift is only at 405lbs, so I'm still pretty far off my own standards.

I'd agree. If anything I'd say the squat is high, and he needs to increase the ratio of both his bench and deadlift to squat. Everyone is different though.

2 hours ago, taxi said:

Why do you need to be 160 lbs? If I were you I'd stop worrying about weight loss and start exercising.

For a good portion of time, I hovered around the 145-150 range. Then, I ballooned right up until 2014. Don't want to be that light again, but I like the 160-170 range. This gives me a little bit of a buffer when the wife and I go on vacation, Christmas, etc.

As for excercising, I'm usually all about cardio. But with an 11 month old, my job, and being the cook in the house, time right now is non existent. I like cardio, so I'll find time again, just not in the immediate future. So, in the meantime, eating healthy is something I can do and have time for.

47 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Have to admit my numbers are more for hockey players than serious lifters but a ratio of 2 to 1 for DL over press was pretty common at training camp.   I was more of a lower body guy so my squats were off charts ratio and my BP fairly modest given that I am a tall guy

Best DL I ever had was 500x2 at 210. 415x5 squat at 190. But those were years ago and have dropped off considerably since. Especially my deadlift through injury and such. I'm not training for anything and never really enjoyed it so I figured.. why bother.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Have to admit my numbers are more for hockey players than serious lifters but a ratio of 2 to 1 for DL over press was pretty common at training camp.   I was more of a lower body guy so my squats were off charts ratio and my BP fairly modest given that I am a tall guy

easier to pull with bad form than to press with bad form

16 hours ago, Monty said:

For a good portion of time, I hovered around the 145-150 range. Then, I ballooned right up until 2014. Don't want to be that light again, but I like the 160-170 range. This gives me a little bit of a buffer when the wife and I go on vacation, Christmas, etc.

As for excercising, I'm usually all about cardio. But with an 11 month old, my job, and being the cook in the house, time right now is non existent. I like cardio, so I'll find time again, just not in the immediate future. So, in the meantime, eating healthy is something I can do and have time for.

Even if you were to run for 1/2 hour a day, it'd be pretty substantial. You could do 5-6 km/ day. Everyone has time for some kind of exercise. 

1 hour ago, taxi said:

Even if you were to run for 1/2 hour a day, it'd be pretty substantial. You could do 5-6 km/ day. Everyone has time for some kind of exercise. 

Like I said, I love cardio and have had time throughout my life to do it.

But no, not everyone has time when you have an infant at home, have to do daycare drop off and pickup, have a demanding job, do all the cooking, do night feed (rinse and repeat). Oh yeah, and need to find time to spend with my wife at some point.

Not making excuses, because as I said, I love cardio and was very athletic for a good portion of my life and I'll definitely find time to get back into it, as it wasn't too long ago that was doing 30-45 minutes every other day. But an infant throws a wrench into it.

On 03/09/2017 at 4:47 PM, brilac said:

Today I did a 20 min run/walk on the treadmill, running at a speed of 5 miles and 3 for walking. Just getting a feel of what I can do. I am not a runner, but this would be a fun thing to do once I get the hang of it, and it was easy at this pace. After that, I went walking for an hour as a post workout. Next time I run/walk on the treadmill, I will step it up a notch running at a faster speed.

I do intervals of walking lunges on the treadmill...set it to a slower speed for each set (obvioiusly).  It's a great addition to a training regiment.   

• Upvote 1