The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

how many games left in the season

4 points out of a playoff spot with 1 game in hand and 2 on the Checkers wish i could follow both teams i have been tempted numerous times to buy the streaming service for AHL teams but when it went free for a couple weeks it looked bad for the price unless someone paying says it's actually HD when you pay for it can't see myself spending the dough for it

surprised to see no one posted this yet. from a few days ago:

Comets Add Princetons Andrew Calof

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the Comets have signed forward Andrew Calof (KAY-loff) to an amateur tryout contract (ATO). In a separate transaction, forward Ludwig Blomstrand has been reassigned by the Vancouver Canucks to the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL.

Calof, 20, recently completed his senior season at Princeton University. Despite an injury limiting him to 22 games, Calof tied for first on the team in scoring with 21 points on four goals and 17 assists.

The 510, 175-pound forward was the teams leading scorer in each of his first three seasons and finished with 123 points (44 goals, 79 assists) in 117 career games. He was a three-time All-Ivy League selection and twice was named to the All-ECAC team. A native of Nepean, ON, Calof burst onto the collegiate scene in 2010-11 and was selected the 2011 ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year, Ivy League Co-Rookie of the Year, and was named to the ECAC All-Rookie Team.

Blomstrand, 21, appeared in Sundays 3-2 win over the Iowa Wild. Overall the Upsalla, Sweden, native has appeared in seven games, without recording a point, in two separate stints with the club. He has recorded 23 points (12-11-23) and 12 penalty minutes in 40 games with Kalamazoo in 2013-14.

Blomstrand was selected by Vancouver in the fourth round (#120 overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.uticacomets.com/comets-add-princetons-andrew-calof/

Graduated Princeton at 20.

That's a smart hockey player!

My daughter and Cannata after the game. Great win by the Comets and ANOTHER classy move by this team by allowing the kids to skate with them after the game. This team is always giving back to the community. They never say no when it comes to autographs. She got a nice picture with Archi too. I'll have to post that under his thread.

Cool

A Comet's Collapse of universal proportion. I cant believe that the Comets were on the powerplay for most of the last 2 minutes and could not get possession of the puck at all. WOW. This one keeps them out of the playoffs. Too bad, they were playing dam good hockey for 58 minutes.

I think so too. You never know what'll happen but they hadn't really been closing the gap on the teams above them and with less and less games remaining the odds were piling up against them to make it.

Whether or not you want to see it, here's the highlights from last night:

Friesen was heavily involved and nearly had a hattrick (nice to see him doing well), but a struggle 5 on 5 (with Syracuse having pulled the goalie) to not let them come back. One more faceoff win at the end there, eh?

Comets lose to the Marlies, 3-2. They've used up their games in hand now and aren't any closer... sitting four points out in 11th place. It's doable, but instead of controlling their own destiny they've gotta rely on 3-4 teams ahead of them (Rochester, Oklahoma, Rockford, and Charlotte) going on losing streaks and that's a lot to ask for.

Whether or not you want to see it, here's the highlights from last night:

Friesen was heavily involved and nearly had a hattrick (nice to see him doing well), but a struggle 5 on 5 (with Syracuse having pulled the goalie) to not let them come back. One more faceoff win at the end there, eh?

I don't get why they keep starting Eriksson in back to back games... I mean Cannata is not doing bad recently and they insist on throwing Eriksson into the fire. I mean is a 3 games weekend and they can easily start Eriksson - Cannata - Eriksson and avoid tiring out or destroying the team's confidence.....

I don't understand the consistent 3 games in 3 nights in the 1st place.

It's the AHL where the revenue from game day keeps these teams in business. There is no multi-million dollar TV contract to share among teams. AHL revenue is from ticket sales and concession/parking sales plus advertisers. The attendance is probably 25% higher on weekends across the entire league than it is on weeknights. The teams need the increased weekend revenue to stay in business. Loading up the schedule where teams play all three days on the weekend decreases the number of weeknight games that are scheduled.

Well, if there is a bright side to this head scratcher of a weekend, the Comets did manage to score 12 goals in 3 games. The offense was there, but the defense left the ice Saturday night with 2 minutes to go in the game. I guess they thought the game was in the bag so they hit the showers early. For a team that has been given a golden opportunity to make the playoffs, they just don't seem to be interested anymore. For a fan, it's a emotional rollercoaster. We came off that HUGE win Friday knowing that a struggling Syracuse team was next. We were hoping, at least, to grab at least 5 outta 6 points this weekend. We had the chance to grab 2 wins before heading back to face Toronto. I knew Toronto would be hungry for revenge Sunday, but I thought the Comets could at least force overtime with the way they played Friday. Boy was I wrong.

I have read some posts where some thought coach Green should have played Canatta Saturday, but I disagree. Eriksson, up to that 18:00 mark of the Syr. game, was holding down the fort pretty good. He held Toronto in check Friday night so, I believe, coach Green rewarded him with another start Saturday. He did pretty good Saturday too, up to that 18:00 mark, when his defense abandoned him and he, pretty much, was in a shootout mode during the last 2 minutes of regulation. To me, the last 2 minutes looked like a pre-game shoot around on the goalie. The Comets had a power play and could not gain possession of the puck for 2 minutes. THAT'S NOT ERIKSSON'S FAULT!

Having that 3rd game in 3 days absolutely hurt the Comets. They had no time to recover from that Syracuse game. I don't care how much of a professional you are, no one would be able to erase from their mind, what happened the night before in Syracuse. That game played on the mind of the Comets on that bus trip to Toronto. It would have been nice to see the Comets have 2 or 3 days off, to get that game behind them, and be able to move on.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this team the rest of the way. I am tired of trying to guess what team will show up. Looking at the rest of the schedule, it doesn't look good. 3 games against struggling teams (Lake Erie twice and ADK) and 3 games against teams already in the playoffs (Rochester, Toronto and W/B). It seems as if the Comets have a really good chance to finish above .500, but the playoff light has dimmed and is flickering.

Overall though, this team has surprised many this season. They struggled early, clawed their way out of last place, then made a legitimate shot at doing something remarkable - make the playoffs in their 1st season. Many posters here say that the "Comets should be stacked next season". I just hope that they can get over their growing pains first. Even loaded guns can backfire.

The 1 major problem the Comets faced this year was NOT the opposing teams, it was in their OWN locker room. They hurt themselves with the way they played, not the way they were played against.

Looking forward to next season because I already purchased my season tickets to see the Comets..Act II

Well, if there is a bright side to this head scratcher of a weekend, the Comets did manage to score 12 goals in 3 games. The offense was there, but the defense left the ice Saturday night with 2 minutes to go in the game. I guess they thought the game was in the bag so they hit the showers early. For a team that has been given a golden opportunity to make the playoffs, they just don't seem to be interested anymore. For a fan, it's a emotional rollercoaster. We came off that HUGE win Friday knowing that a struggling Syracuse team was next. We were hoping, at least, to grab at least 5 outta 6 points this weekend. We had the chance to grab 2 wins before heading back to face Toronto. I knew Toronto would be hungry for revenge Sunday, but I thought the Comets could at least force overtime with the way they played Friday. Boy was I wrong.

I have read some posts where some thought coach Green should have played Canatta Saturday, but I disagree. Eriksson, up to that 18:00 mark of the Syr. game, was holding down the fort pretty good. He held Toronto in check Friday night so, I believe, coach Green rewarded him with another start Saturday. He did pretty good Saturday too, up to that 18:00 mark, when his defense abandoned him and he, pretty much, was in a shootout mode during the last 2 minutes of regulation. To me, the last 2 minutes looked like a pre-game shoot around on the goalie. The Comets had a power play and could not gain possession of the puck for 2 minutes. THAT'S NOT ERIKSSON'S FAULT!

Having that 3rd game in 3 days absolutely hurt the Comets. They had no time to recover from that Syracuse game. I don't care how much of a professional you are, no one would be able to erase from their mind, what happened the night before in Syracuse. That game played on the mind of the Comets on that bus trip to Toronto. It would have been nice to see the Comets have 2 or 3 days off, to get that game behind them, and be able to move on.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this team the rest of the way. I am tired of trying to guess what team will show up. Looking at the rest of the schedule, it doesn't look good. 3 games against struggling teams (Lake Erie twice and ADK) and 3 games against teams already in the playoffs (Rochester, Toronto and W/B). It seems as if the Comets have a really good chance to finish above .500, but the playoff light has dimmed and is flickering.

Overall though, this team has surprised many this season. They struggled early, clawed their way out of last place, then made a legitimate shot at doing something remarkable - make the playoffs in their 1st season. Many posters here say that the "Comets should be stacked next season". I just hope that they can get over their growing pains first. Even loaded guns can backfire.

The 1 major problem the Comets faced this year was NOT the opposing teams, it was in their OWN locker room. They hurt themselves with the way they played, not the way they were played against.

Looking forward to next season because I already purchased my season tickets to see the Comets..Act II

Good grief...it's obvious what happened to the Comets D.

Every time the big club ('Nucks) call-up Corrado...they falter. He carries big minutes for them..and after he leaves...they struggle with synchronicity & confidence in squirrely situations. I wish that this last time - that they had just let him be. With the Canucks now officially eliminated from the post-season.... Frankie should be back, but I just heard Tortorella say that Frankie will play the next 3 games for the Canucks, even tho' he sat vs the Ducks tonite, after his call-up. What's up with that?! Crap call sitting Luongo for the Heritage Classic...now torpedoing the Comets chances at the play-offs, by raiding their cupboard for some mean-nothing games. :picard:

Sure, Eriksson, had a good game Friday, but 3 games in 3 nights...when Cannata is just as hot,,,come ONNNN?!!! The team & the goalie fade together in situations, like that. You have to get any fresh legs you can in there....that you can trust.... & in an important game like that. Cannata's NO rookie. He's a AHL vet and has played great... if not even better than Eriksson.... in his last start & in-relief. Cannata's presense may have re-energized the team. I think this call by Green was wrong...unless Cannata had some un-disclosed ailment or something. :sadno:

The Comets didn't have a problem with their locker room...they had a problem with some very un-timely raids by the parent club & they also experienced the injury bug - themselves. Losing your captain...is huge. Ask the Canucks how well they played with out Henrik...or Bieksa... in their line-up. Next season, they will be more used to not only playing their own roles on this team...but some other ones, too. Cogs in a machine need to know where they fit... & they need to know what they are to do...without hesitation. Throwing in a whack of desperation PTO's doesn't help the team's synergy or Team-D, either. :(

This year was about team-builiding, settling into a new system & weathering stormy times. They had to learn a whole new travel regime & how to pace themselves...for those 3 in 3 weekends. They also had to bond & cease to see one another as competition & more as teammates rowing in the same direction. This group is on track for a great showing next season. And - if the Big club raids the Comets' cupboard, again - at the very least we know... there's a little more depth coming thru, with recent signings, to re-stock their shelves.

:towel:

Good grief...it's obvious what happened to the Comets D.

Every time the big club ('Nucks) call-up Corrado...they falter. He carries big minutes for them..and after he leaves...they struggle with synchronicity & confidence in squirrely situations. I wish that this last time - that they had just let him be. With the Canucks now officially eliminated from the post-season.... Frankie should be back, but I just heard Tortorella say that Frankie will play the next 3 games for the Canucks, even tho' he sat vs the Ducks tonite, after his call-up. What's up with that?! Crap call sitting Luongo for the Heritage Classic...now torpedoing the Comets chances at the play-offs, by raiding their cupboard for mean some nothing games. :picard:

Sure, Eriksson, had a good game Friday, but 3 games in 3 nights...when Cannata is just as hot,,,come ONNNN?!!! The team & the goalie fade together in situations, like that. You have to get any fresh legs you can in there....that you can trust.... & in an important game like that. Cannata's NO rookie. He's a AHL vet and has played great... if not even better than Eriksson.... in his last start & in-relief. Cannata's presense may have re-energized the team. I think this call by Green was wrong...unless Cannata had some un-disclosed ailment or something. :sadno:

The Comets didn't have a problem with their locker room...they had a problem with some very un-timely raids by the parent club & they also experienced the injury bug - themselves. Losing your captain...is huge. Ask the Canucks how well they played with out Henrik...or Bieksa... in their line-up. Next season, they will be more used to not only playing their own roles on this team...but some other ones, too. Cogs in a machine need to know where they fit... & they need to know what they are to do...without hesitation. Throwing in a whack of desperation PTO's doesn't help the team's synergy or Team-D, either. :(

This year was about team-builiding, settling into a new system & weathering stormy times. They had to learn a whole new travel regime & how to pace themselves...for those 3 in 3 weekends. They also had to bond & cease to see one another as competition & more as teammates rowing in the same direction. This group is on track for a great showing next season. And - if the Big club raids the Comets' cupboard, again - at the very least we know... there's a little more depth coming thru, with recent signings, to re-stock their shelves.

:towel:

Excellent post and I agree 100% with everything you said. Losing Corrado really hurt the Comets the last two games this weekend, Frankie and Kent Huskins are the Comets two strongest D and if either are missing it shows. With Frankie called up John Negrin gets inserted back into the lineup who in my opinion is an AHL 7th defenseman at best or more likely a starter in the ECHL. With Corrado in the lineup the Comets are just one D short of having a quality AHL defense.....Negrin goes back to the press box but they still need to do something about Sauve.

You also nailed it on not playing Cannata on Saturday. Going with Eriksson two nights in a row when the Comets were in the middle of a three game weekend was just simply a bad decision.

Now the Comets find themselves 5 points out with 6 games to play. Mathematically they still are very much in it but realistically they are not. If there was only one team to pass you could hope that team looses three games down the stretch and the Comets win out......but they have three teams to pass. The chances of all three teams tanking the final two weeks of the season is slim.

If the Comets had just a couple more points they would have a realistic shot at the playoffs and I could see Vancouver sending Corrado and even Jensen back down for the playoff push. But they probably won't especially now with Torts saying that he wants to give the young guys a look during the last three games. I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver doesn't call up a couple more guys for looks further weakening the Comets down the stretch. Hopefully instead he will give our local boy Mike Zelewski a chance to play.

Archived