The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

My "2 cents" about Travis. I, too, was a critic of the coach early on in this 1st season. We weren't sure what to expect in our 1st season in Utica from the Canucks organization. The excitement of the AHL returning to our city overshadowed everything else. We didn't care so much about the system, we just wanted a team. The puck dropped on the season and the struggles began. Without knowing where to point fingers, the coach is always the 1st target (ask Torts). With the mounting losses, the fans, though growing impatient, stood behind their team.

Travis, despite the losses, stuck to his system. His job was to develop players for the Canucks. He, also, had to deal with the fact that this was a 1st year team with new names and faces, in a new city, in a new building.

With the 1st win under his belt, you can see things instantly start to turn around. The team, that never played together, started to find their chemistry. They played together under Travis' plan and they started wining. Travis had this team playing like a team.

The Comets weren't the most talented team in the AHL, but, the were just about the hardest working team. They clawed themselves out of the AHL basement and started to climb in the standings. They achieved a .500 record and finished the season only 2 wins shy of the playoffs.

Travis isn't a very vocal coach and doesn't display much emotion behind the bench. However, he does have a system, and once the players adapted to his program, they became a team. His job is to develop the players and I think he did a great job. He got some players ready for the Canucks (Jensen, Archibald, Corrado, Lain) and they all did pretty good when they got the call.

With a season under his belt, and the struggles of a 1st season behind, he can start this new season with some experience. The Comets ended the season on a roll and hopefully this momentum will carry over into next season. This fan appreciates the job Travis did for our 1st year Comets. They had a rough start but the finish was incredible. They didn't make the playoffs but they sure showed that the best is yet to come.

Travis did what he had to do. He got a young franchise off their feet. He developed players for the parent team. He turned a struggling team around. He developed a system and the players adapted to it. He came VERY close to doing the unthinkable - making the playoffs.

Most importantly, he gained the respect from his players, and from a grateful city.

Thanks Trav.

:towel:

Thanks everyone for the feedback on coach Green. It's good to hear some opinions from people who follow the team closely.

For those who haven't seen this yet, here's the "2013-14 Utica Comets: Analytical Year in Review" from "Josh W" over at Canucks Army: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/5/5/2013-14-utica-comets-analytical-year-in-review

It's a nice resource for anyone interested in breaking down the season (and the players) in terms of stats. Advanced "fancy" stats for the Comets are pretty hard to come by, so it's always a bonus when someone takes the time to run the numbers based on the limited data available from the AHL.

Some very good stuff in there (although I have a couple quibbles with how the stats have been applied re: the more "editorialized" content).

I don't know if this news belongs under this thread, but, here it is anyway: The AHL Board of Governors voted yesterday to MOVE the Abbottsford franchise to Glens Falls, NY. The term in for 3 years with an "option for 2 more". Not sure if they will keep the "Heat" name but, I for one, would like to see them use the old Atlanta Flames logo and call themselves the Adirondack Flames".

I don't know if this news belongs under this thread, but, here it is anyway:The AHL Board of Governors voted yesterday to MOVE the Abbottsford franchise to Glens Falls, NY. The term in for 3 years with an "option for 2 more".Not sure if they will keep the "Heat" name but, I for one, would like to see them use the old Atlanta Flames logo and call themselves the Adirondack Flames".

can't wait for those games! that is going to be an instant rivalry.

can't wait for those games! that is going to be an instant rivalry.

One of the benefits of Abbotsford moving is the it frees up the Comets schedule to play more games with our in state rivals. Last year we played Abby 12 times and Syracuse only 4 times. Syracuse is a 45 minute drive and over 900 Comets fans invaded their rink when we played them in February.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the article featured on CDC...it sounds like Cederholm will be staying with the Portland Winterhawks another season, in our area (WHL). Our farm-boys from Utica won't be coming anywhere near home (VAN) next season. That's the real sadness of Abbotsford losing their AHL team. No more easy look-sees at the baby-Canucks as they fly in to play the Heat.

How can we watch these Comets games live?

I think Jim Benning is also very satisfied with keeping the Canucks' farm-team in Utica. The NHL has more balanced scheduling now...with every team playing each other, home & away. This makes having our farm-team in the east, not as bad for call-ups as it has been in previous years. Benning can easily maintain contact with his old networks & efficiently help-out scouts watching the college & university programs out east...while still supporting the scouts examining all of the younger leagues out west...where the Canucks have many trustworthy people & Canucks' alumni in place. In reality, every decent player from BC's backyard is a potential prospect for all local Nucks-fans to watch. Once secured,...I'm with fine having our older prospects go & get some arms-length seasoning & gel-time together in the east... where they can be their own entity & not so affected or tied to all of the mounting pressures & scrutiny that can invade this very intense NHL market place.

It's also heartening to see local Comets' fans.supporting their team win-or-lose,... and with a similar passion to what we have supporting the Big-team here in VAN.

According to the article featured on CDC...it sounds like Cederholm will be staying with the Portland Winterhawks another season

I have no problem with that, I think all players should play out their junior careers with a few exceptions.

How can we watch these Comets games live?

all AHL games are available online

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived