The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Pascal Pelletier signs with KHL club Medvescak Zagreb

elvis15

Journeyman forward Pascal Pelletier, who split last season between Vancouver and its AHL affiliate in Utica, has inked a deal with KHL club Medvescak Zagreb, the club announced on Tuesday.

Pelletier, 31, appeared in three games with the Canucks last year, his first with the organization. Prior to that he’d spent three years with Langnau of the Swiss league and, prior to that, had stints in both the Boston and Chicago organizations, appearing in 13 games for the Bruins and Blackhawks.

Perhaps Pelletier’s most notable moment last year came in a game against Montreal, when he was on the receiving end of an Alexei Emelin butt-end that cost the Habs blueliner a $5,000 fine.

Never drafted by an NHL club, Pelletier has been a highly successful scorer at the AHL level and notched 62 points in 69 games for Utica last season.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/canucks-pelletier-signs-in-khl/

Considering he was our leading scorer in both points and goals for the Comets last year, that's a big hole to fill, but we do have a number of prospects stepping in that hopefully can fill that void. Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Fox, as well as whoever we can sign that sticks with the Comets should hopefully help.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/canucks-pelletier-signs-in-khl/

Considering he was our leading scorer in both points and goals for the Comets last year, that's a big hole to fill, but we do have a number of prospects stepping in that hopefully can fill that void. Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Fox, as well as whoever we can sign that sticks with the Comets should hopefully help.

With him being our leading scorer, I'd be more concern with the lack of depth/talent in our prospect pool than filling his spot.

Anyway Shinkaruk and Gaunce should get plenty of ice-time down there.

A guy's gotta earn. It's good that he's going back to Europe, it's a comparative loss for every year he spends in the NA minors.

Utica will be fine, guys like Friesen stepped up big towards the end of last year. You're also adding a year to guys like Grenier, who already impressed as a rookie. This gives more time to Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Fox - that or the Canucks' run Comets would be managed so that vets would rarely see time.

I was initially more curious how they'd fit in all the D prospects we have in Utica but there are a fair number of forwards potentially joining the Comets as well. We can't forget Zalewski and Costello, and maybe Blomstrand makes the step up. None of those guys replace a top scoring, veteran forward, but we'll have plenty of bodies.

Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Costello, Zalewski, McEneny and if I am not mistaken McNally will all be on the roster next year, so the loss of Pelletier is not the biggest loss. We will have to sign one or two vets (O'Reilly, Ferriero?) but Utica is going to be more Canuck oriented next year for sure, especially if the likes of Corrado and Jensen start the season there.

^ ::D

Was it needed to start a nother thread on this when this could of gone in one of the other pelletier threads? The op could of done a quick search to find at least one

Oh, I know there are older Pelletier threads, but which one is in any way recent and has similar information to this that would make sense to post only in one of those. I'm serious, feel free to search yourself and outline what thread(s) I should have posted this in.

I await your response.

Was trying to think of a good line up now with Pelletier out, and it will depend on a few things but here's a guess:

Shinkaruk O'Reilly Grenier

Gaunce Fox Ferriero

Kenins Friesen DeFazio

Archibald Lain Mallet

Zalewski Welsh Blomstrand

Huskins Corrado

Tommernes McEneny

Andersson Biega

Sauve Blain

Eriksson

Cannata

Lots of question marks, like do Huskins, Biega or even Stuart come back for the Comets, is Shinkaruk traded, do we qualify Schroeder/Dalpe and does one of them go through waivers to make it to the AHL, does Corrado make the jump or Jensen stick in the NHL, does anyone else?

It's good, but depends a lot on the production of our young players for Utica to have success.

We'll have some guys making the jump in Fox, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce. At least I hope Shink is still around, he's a gamer. There are others too. They might not be vets, but I don't think we'll be wanting for players to potentially slot in. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Nope, Shink is AHL eligible this coming season due to age and that he's already played in 4 OHL seasons.

It was good to see Pelletier do ok in some call ups last year, but hopefully we have a few of our actual prospects that can start to fill that role from the farm.

It will hurt the scoring in Utica which was a bit of a problem last year, but they did need to make room for more prospects to get experience. It's still going to be another year of transition for the Comets as they will need a few seasons to find their identity and build a system that allows them to be competitive but also be able to teach the prospects how to play the game at a professional level. For us fans it's exciting but frustrating too.

Archived