The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reset! How about Accountability

sosunnyhere

1. Q. You’ve seen how other GMs have dealt with players with no-trade clauses. How have you and how might you do things differently in discussions with those players at this time of the season?

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

My philosophy has always been not to waive a no-trade clause. If a player comes to us and is dissatisfied or feels they might have a better opportunity elsewhere, obviously we would listen and try to accommodate those wishes.

But I am not going to ask a player to waive a no-trade. If we felt that there was dissatisfaction on the player’s part, we would perhaps discuss what his wishes would be. But that would be the extent of it.

Source:
http://kuklaskorner.com/candb/comments/transcript_mike_gillis_teleconference' rel="external nofollow">

2. I am sure if you could look beyond Gillis as the end all and be all of GM's in the NHL even you could probably see what other teams are doing and have been doing to "reset".

3. There is little chance Gillis would have gone with an AHL goalie as backup in Schneider's first year as the #1 guy. That is simply common sense.

4, haha.....spoken like someone who has never actually run their own business and had employees he was responsible for managing and getting the most productivity out of. Trust me, accountability is a key factor in both positive and negative motivation.

1. I don't have a problem with any of the NTCs on this club.

2. Not an example. Very little player movement this year despite a whole lot of teams needing to "reset" under the dropping cap.

3. Not common sense at all - and sounds fairly ignorant of what Lack did the previous two seasons in the AHL - actually more impressive numbers than Schneider had there - and pretty much a no-brainer that he had earned a shot before his injury.

4. An ignorant assumption - and from an archair, what you are privy to regarding "accountability" inside the Canucks organization is next to nothing - you're simply making assumptions and generic statements about a core not being 'accountable' that you really know nothing about. Prattling about management philophy doesn't change that.

1. I do.

2. It is not only about player movement though. Many teams have been submitting to the theory that promoting young players and using them in prominent roles while accepting that they are learning and showing some patience in allowing them to make mistakes in doing so.

3. AHL =/= NHL. Lack had no NHL experience and Schneider had no experience as a #1 goalie. Given Gillis' infatuation with NHL level insurance even if his coach won't use it, I think it is pretty safe to say a veteran backup would have been in the cards.

4. Accountability - or lack of it on this team - is very visible in the inconsistent level of effort, the bizarre coaching decisions, and the lack of identity. Teams where all players are held accountable don't take big parts of every game off. They may not win, but they usually work hard.

Tanev played 17 minutes a game this year.

Corrado, a 20 year old, played 12 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Kassian had as much ice time as Calder candidates Gallagher, Conacher and Yakupov,

Schroeder played 31 games, and a minute less per game than the four guys I just mentioned.

3. speculation and irrelevent. Every player in the NHL had a first game - and you're ironically contradicting the principle you are professing just one point before.

4. not interested in your take on the Oz principle. Do you have an actual tangible proposals?

Reset what!..... Core of this team is Nonis and Burke era. A change in GM means last one was not doing a good job evaluating and acquiring talent. So why is the core still made up of guys from the previous GM's ......does reset mean we are going to attempt new experiments that we started five years ago. HMMMM who will be the Ballard, Booth, and Lappierre of the next five years? Gillis said everything we expected during press conference,and brought in the "reset" moniker which will be the leading cover of every new "Fail" he attempts. My choices for the new Ballard is Komisarek..... for the new Booth is Scottie Upshall..... for the new Max Lappierre is Jordan Tootoo. I see a lot getting worse before better.

My take on Gillis? This upcoming season is make or break.

Coaching: beyond the controversial handling of Ballard and Kassian and goalie starts, limping into the playoffs is not acceptable for this team; having a crappy PP is not acceptable for this team. AV + staff needs to go first. If the Canucks' assets are really proven to be bad next season with a fresh look, then GMMG can go IMO.

Drafting: look for a few Gillis-staff picks to get long looks on the team this year. I'm kind of optimistic for Gaunce and Schroeder. Jensen maybe in a few years. This hasn't been a poor point.

Assets in play: MG needs to sort out the goalie situation and Ballard/Booth contracts before the season starts. I'm not against keeping one of these guys, but something needs to be done. We need a new identity going into next season.

MG has some assets to work with also: Tanev, Corrado, and Edler could all be in play for some big moves.

2013/14 will be MG's resurgence, or his swan song. I believe he is a good GM, just like I think AV is a good coach - but results matter.

P.S. Don't take GMMG's press events seriously. He never reveals his intentions.

Actually, being able to draft properly in the 2nd and later rounds would be the place to start. Sure, they got Toews and Kane, but we have the Sedins who collectively went almost as high in the draft as those two did.... ;)Where Chicago has excelled is drafting in the later rounds and part of that was a clear realization that they wanted to draft both size AND skill, not one over the other.

The Hawks sucked for a long time for sure. But it is not the only reason they are a team that seems to be able to cycle in young players effortlessly and roll with the punches of the NHL shifting gears.

Think of all the BC boys on that team that the Canucks could have had if they had been paying attention. And that is just the homegrown guys.

The Canucks need to start with a new GM who understands building a balanced team and especially a new scouting staff both professional and amateur. They suck, pure and simple.

2. Kassian played with crap linemates an awful lot though so not exactly in a position to succeed. nor have the Canucks actually defined and communicated a concrete role for him on the team so that he can grow into it. AV has shown no patience with Kassian or Schroeder. Schroeder played very well and had some offensive chemistry going only to be benched for Ebbett after being pre-ordained to have to fit the 4th line C job or nothing. Corrado? Looked extremely overwhelmed in those 12 minutes though and not at all ready to do anything but play 12 minutes. Tanev was the lone young player given a real chance to stick in the past few years.

Chicago Draft picks 2nd round or later with 40+ NHL games:

None

Saad (2nd round) 48 games

Shaw (5th round) 85 games

None

Kruger (5th round) 125 games

None

None

None

I think you and I have different definitions of excelled. I'd say they just got lucky with a couple of late picks like we did in 04 and 05. Corrado (5th round 2011) certainly looks like a hit.

The point I was making was that tanking for a decade was not the reason they became a successful team. That drafting in the 2nd round and later had produced many key players in their resurgence as well. History seems to be on my side against your cherry picked stats as a matter of fact.

The Canucks don't hold a candle to the Hawks 2 and later draft record I'm afraid. Not even close in fact.

Craig Anderson 3rd

Duncan Keith 2nd

James Wisniewski 5th

Adam Burish 9th

Corey Crawford 2nd

Dustin Byfuglien 8th

Chris Porter 9th

Dave Bolland 2nd

Bryan Bickel 2nd

Jake Dowell 5th

Troy Brouwer 7th

Niklas Hjalmarson 4th

Brandon Saad 2nd

Andrew Shaw 5th

Marcus Kruger 5th

All the bolded players are key members of their team still. And a few others, like Byfuglien and Brouwer, were key components of their cup team. The other guys they did not hang onto but went on to be successful NHL players of varying degrees.

Simply put, we wish the Canucks late round drafting was even half as good as that.

The point I was making was that tanking for a decade was not the reason they became a successful team. That drafting in the 2nd round and later had produced many key players in their resurgence as well. History seems to be on my side against your cherry picked stats as a matter of fact.

The Canucks don't hold a candle to the Hawks 2 and later draft record I'm afraid. Not even close in fact.

Craig Anderson 3rd

Duncan Keith 2nd

James Wisniewski 5th

Adam Burish 9th

Corey Crawford 2nd

Dustin Byfuglien 8th

Chris Porter 9th

Dave Bolland 2nd

Bryan Bickel 2nd

Jake Dowell 5th

Troy Brouwer 7th

Niklas Hjalmarson 4th

Brandon Saad 2nd

Andrew Shaw 5th

Marcus Kruger 5th

All the bolded players are key members of their team still. And a few others, like Byfuglien and Brouwer, were key components of their cup team. The other guys they did not hang onto but went on to be successful NHL players of varying degrees.

Simply put, we wish the Canucks late round drafting was even half as good as that.

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

1. All the NTC have basically committed this team to the same core for a very long time. When the landscape changes we see Gillis now panic about it. But he can't really change anything substantial now because of the contracts he has given out.

2. Extending contracts like Burrows and Edler prematurely and for too much money and term in both cases. Higgins is a hard worker but has no business being in the top 6 of any cup hopeful team. A NTC too? WTF.

3. Not trading Luongo and Ballard when it became obvious they were not in the plans.

4. Not holding his coach accountable which in turn leads to the coach not holding the core accountable.

This does not even include his terrible decisions on personnel - like letting Torres and Ehrhoff go and trading Hodgson for a guy that will not be used by his coach.

That's easy to say but hollow in many ways. But since this is your first post we'll just presume you're a troller. I like to point out that if Gillis had traded the assets away that were left to him he'd have been long fired. So what do you want. You can't have it both ways.

You just need to think about it, right?

1. So you have given up saying I am wrong on this one? Good. That is a start.

2. Kassian played with crap linemates an awful lot though so not exactly in a position to succeed. nor have the Canucks actually defined and communicated a concrete role for him on the team so that he can grow into it. AV has shown no patience with Kassian or Schroeder. Schroeder played very well and had some offensive chemistry going only to be benched for Ebbett after being pre-ordained to have to fit the 4th line C job or nothing. Corrado? Looked extremely overwhelmed in those 12 minutes though and not at all ready to do anything but play 12 minutes. Tanev was the lone young player given a real chance to stick in the past few years.

3. Goalie is not an area where Gillis has ever really been willing to trust a young inexperienced guy and that was with Luongo as his starter. Even Schneider was brought in very slowly. There is nothing to suggest Gillis would suddenly change his MO in that regard. Bringing youth into your lineup and trusting an AHL guy in net when you are trying to contend are two different things.

4. Yep. Fire MG and get a real GM who can actually get players to sign without NTC and who can get other GM's besides Florida to trade with him. Then fire AV and get a coach who will kick these players in the ass and make them earn their keep from the Sedins all the way down the line.

Tanev also had the benefit of a veteran partner to help him along who was a top 4 dman before meeting up with AV. Corrado will not likely have that luxury. Corrado did not really impress me all that much in his tryout. He was great his first game, terrible in his second, and pretty much nothing to talk about good or bad the rest of the way. But he also played very protected minutes in the playoffs and did get pushed around a fair bit. I think he will be a good player for the Canucks and that he will get his chance next season which is good. But he is already getting overrated on CDC.

Reset what!..... Core of this team is Nonis and Burke era. A change in GM means last one was not doing a good job evaluating and acquiring talent. So why is the core still made up of guys from the previous GM's ......does reset mean we are going to attempt new experiments that we started five years ago. HMMMM who will be the Ballard, Booth, and Lappierre of the next five years? Gillis said everything we expected during press conference,and brought in the "reset" moniker which will be the leading cover of every new "Fail" he attempts. My choices for the new Ballard is Komisarek..... for the new Booth is Scottie Upshall..... for the new Max Lappierre is Jordan Tootoo. I see a lot getting worse before better.

You know when you're a bottom feeder a second round pick can't exactly be called a "late round" pick. Btw, I didn't look through all of them but Chris Porter never played a game for Chicago and has a whopping 127 NHL games since being drafted in 2003. That's what you consider excelling at late drafting? Try to be a little realistic.

Archived