The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Ray Manzarek, Doors keyboardist

King Heffy

Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist and founding member of The Doors who had a dramatic impact on rock 'n' roll, has died. He was 74.

Publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald says Manzarek died Monday at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family. Robinson-Fitzgerald says his manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed Manzarek died around 3:30 p.m. ET. He had bile duct cancer.

Manzarek founded The Doors after meeting then-poet Jim Morrison in California. The band went on to become one of the most successful rock 'n' roll acts to emerge from the 1960s and continues to resonate with fans decades after Morrison's death brought an effective end to the band.

The Chicago native continued to remain active in music after Morrison's 1971 death. He briefly tried to hold the band together by serving as vocalist, but eventually the group fell apart. He played in other bands over the years, produced other acts, became an author and worked on films.

The Doors were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Manzarek is among the most notable keyboard players in rock history. His lead-instrument work with the band at a time when the guitar often dominated added a distinct end-times flavor that matched Morrison's often out there imagery and persona.

The group is best known for hits like L.A.Woman, Break On Through to the Other Side, The End and Light My Fire — a song particularly coloured by his keyboard work — and came to symbolize the decadence of Los Angeles as the counterculture grew in the U.S.

Manzarek is survived by his wife, Dorothy, his son Pablo and two brothers, Rick and James.

Broke on through to the other side. RIP Ray. We're at a point in time now, where so many of these rock-Gods will be dropping off, considering the musical scene, 40~50 yrs back. Elton, Clapton, F Mac gang, Bowie, Who, Stones, Zep...It's amazing so many of these heroes have made it to seniority, considering their alleged lifestyles, back in the day.

Wasn't long ago Billy Preston & Jon Lord(Purple) passed on. Maybe slinging a guitar is a better stress-reliever, compared to ticklin' the keys?!

We're losing legends as some of the bands who made rock history are slowing passing.

I wasn't a huge Doors fan, however, my Uncle was completely taken by them. He introduced me to them - Jim Morrison was his hero. I'll never forget thinking how bat**** crazy I thought he was as he played and sang along with "The End" like he was living every minute of it.

These were the sounds of my youth and it's sad that time can't stand still....

Where do the Doors rank in the list of all-time great American rock bands.. top 5? Read an interesting biography on Morrison,"Noone Here Gets Out Alive", almost 25 years ago, I believe the author then asserted that they'd been the most important US band in history.

Of all the brilliant US bands, there have been no Zep, Beatles, or Stones-type, is probably beyond debate. Gotta rank Aerosmith up there, though.

Where do the Doors rank in the list of all-time great American rock bands.. top 5? Read an interesting biography on Morrison,"Noone Here Gets Out Alive", almost 25 years ago, I believe the author then asserted that they'd been the most important US band in history.

Of all the brilliant US bands, there have been no Zep, Beatles, or Stones-type, is probably beyond debate. Gotta rank Aerosmith up there, though.

I read Manzarek's book a few years ago, and I found him to be kind of obnoxious, like the stereotype of a burnout hippie sort. I sort of want to re-read it though.

The Doors will always been one of my favourites. The self-titled album and Strange Days are just as good as anything else released in that era, and I'll take Morrison over Jagger or McCartney any day of the week

Couldn't stand the longer than needed keyboard solo in Light My Fire, but respect the music he made with The Doors. A band that ended before it should have, but who knows what the legacy would have been if Jim didn't pass when he did.

Legendary band. Such an influential talent. He lived to 74. For a "hard livin" rock star thats not too bad.

L.A. woman is my favorite song of theirs. Morrison died before they ever got to play it live. Would have loved to have had a concert recording of that song and Riders of the storm.

I got the book Riders On The Storm from a bargain bin last week.

It's signed by (Door's drummer) John Densmore, has the papers proving the sig is real, and it cost ten cents ...

Can't decide if that's awesome or really sad.

If anyone here has read it, is it any good?

(I haven't started it yet)

rip manzarek hey all on my gf's phone with a spotty connection sven i highly recommend that book..we listened to the doors greatest hits two cd set last night in memory, assisting on my gf's family farm for a week be around maybe sporadically even though she doesnt like me using her phone all the time so maybe not. later on.

Archived