The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Water in Most of Montreal Unsafe to Drink

http://montreal.ctvn...drink-1.1291826

1.3 million people do not have safe, clean drinking water after the city of Montreal issued a boil water advisory.

The water throughout most of the island -- the entire borough of St. Laurent, from LaSalle to Pointe aux Trembles and everywhere in between -- is not safe to drink.

Water throughout the boroughs of Anjou, Villeray and St. Leonard, while north of the Metropolitan, is also unsafe, as is water in the towns of Mount Royal, Hampstead, Westmount, Cote Saint Luc, Montreal East, and the off-island town of Charlemagne. Montreal West is not specifically mentioned, but it does fall in the geographic area affected.

The city is advising everyone affected to boil their water for 60 seconds before consuming, using it for brushing teeth, or for cooking or washing food.

Officials say any water that has been stored since last night, either in pitchers, used in ice cubes, or something similar should be thrown out.

Non-boiled water can be safely used for washing clothes or for bathing.

"This is strictly a preventative measure at this point. We didn't notice any bacterial contamination the water -- strictly turbidity, just sediment," said Gordon Routley Division Chief of the Montreal fire department.

The city is downplaying the danger of the water, saying it's does not believe that anyone will fall ill.

"We think it's unlikely at this point but we can't rule out the possibility," said Routley.

Anyone who believes they have health symptoms they believe are related to drinking untreated water should contact Info-Santé by calling 8-1-1.

The widespread notice comes after a failed test result at the Atwater filtration plant.

The Atwater filtration plant, the largest in the province and the second-largest in the country, is currently in the middle of undergoing renovations, and city officials say that as part of that work the level of water in the reservoir dipped to an unusually low level.

Some residents, particularly in Verdun and southern parts of the city, noticed brown water coming out of their taps.

The city says the boil water advisory will last until at least midday Thursday.

Montreal Reacts:

Hospitals, schools and other institutions were quick to change their water usage after getting the unprecedented advisory.

The MUHC had planned for this instance and put its water shortage code into effect, turning off water fountains and ice machines.

The cafeterias switched to using bottled water for everything necessary, and staff handed out bottles of water to patients.

Isabelle Tremblay of the MUHC said no hospital had ever needed to use these protocols before, but expected it would first be used during a heatwave or if a water main broke.

At the English Montreal School Board all schools were instructed not to drink any water from fountains, and several schools were quick to put up signs and tell students in each classroom of the warning.

Staff members at several schools, such as Pierre de Coubertin, bought bottles of water to give to anyone who was thirsty.

Meanwhile members of the public rushed to stores to buy bottles of water, with reports of a run on bottled water at several supermarkets.

That is really freaky. Thanks for the post.

I hope this doesn't spread to Toronto (I live there). But I fear it might. This should really be a big wakeup call to not only Canada, but United States as well.

Not to be negative, just my thoughts, but it seems like the city of Montreal is falling down almost any time you hear of it. Supposedly, the city's website is down (No way to get info or contact them), there was a computer failure at the metro system yesterday, and it seems like its turning real bad there. I just hope that there isn't any sort of catastrophe over there.

That is really freaky. Thanks for the post.

I hope this doesn't spread to Toronto (I live there). But I fear it might. This should really be a big wakeup call to not only Canada, but United States as well.

Humanity isn't going to die from zombies. We're going to die because we are too stupid to protect the basics of existence. Food, air and water.

We're going to reach a breaking point (if we haven't past it already) where there will not be enough food, clean water, or clean air to breathe. Economists and ignorant people go on about that pollution, climate change, running out of oil are all myths. We live on one planet with a closed ecosystem. We destroy too many trees, wetlands, pollute our lakes and oceans, we will see our food supplies collapse. When there is no food, or clean water, or breathable air, there will be chaos.

"Canada, the most affluent of countries, operates on a depletion economy which leaves destruction in its wake. Your people are driven by a terrible sense of deficiency. When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money."

Alanis Obomsawin

http://montreal.ctvn...drink-1.1291826

...Pretty big caution down there. I went down to Montreal a year ago and I didn't like the taste of the tap water down there from day 1...starting drinking bottled water since after the first day just for precautionary reasons and guess it was a good choice looking at it now.

Anyways, hope things get better for the folks in Montreal. This isn't a small issue either - its every beings need to live, a necessity, and it's especially shocking since it's in Canada (No offense to people in other countries).

Archived