The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

This was expected, anyone who disagrees is a damn fool. A necessary step, but still a lot of work to be done, as a rebuild/retool is in order with this group.

I hope MG gets shown the door as well, but we will see...

Gillis should be counting his days!

This.

As I see it, Gillis has one more season to produce much better results than the last two seasons. If he can't get the job done, he'll be canned, but good.

Good luck AV. I never liked your style one bit, but at least you put Burr with the Twins.

Very excited to see a fresh approach. Perhaps we'll see a 4th line used for more than d-zone fodder. Perhaps we'll see Hank on the pk. Perhaps we'll see players who never get a chance... Getting a chance.

But overall, i hope we start getting our players to actually perform in the playoffs.

I don't think anyone doesn't think we need some major upgrades on offense. That's pretty much the theme on here every day.

But this teams core is still elite. Any person that thinks it isn't is just a pessimist. The Sedins showed at the World's that they can still outperform the top players in the league.

The pieces are there, they just need a strong supporting cast. And a new coach with new ideas and enthusiasm could be just what these guys need to get motivated again.

This.

Those Babcock rumours were part of a bullshard story about Zetteburg and Datsyuk having had enough of him, etc, blah, blah, crapola.

He'd be my number one choice, but it aint gonna happen.

Brent Sutter is my choice , good with youth and no bs guy. also something about a Sutter that commands respect with the reffs, a start in the right direction..imo.

Keep it all in here.

TSN.ca ALERT: Vancouver Canucks fire head coach Alain Vigneualt, along with associate coaches Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.

Alain-Vigneault-168135215-Don-Smith.jpg

CANUCKS HAVEN'T HAD A CAPTAIN SINCE TREVOR LINDON. THEY SHOULD HAVE STRIPPED THE 'C' FROM HENRIK BEFORE THEY LOOKED AT FIRING THE COACH. A NEW COACH WILL ONLY TAKE OVER A LEADERLESS RUDDERLESS SHIP!

CANUCKS HAVEN'T HAD A CAPTAIN SINCE TREVOR LINDON. THEY SHOULD HAVE STRIPPED THE 'C' FROM HENRIK BEFORE THEY LOOKED AT FIRING THE COACH. A NEW COACH WILL ONLY TAKE OVER A LEADERLESS RUDDERLESS SHIP!

what+the+what.gif

If the Red Wings upset the Hawks I wonder about Quennville.

I doubt he goes anywhere, but in a season with such high expectations, you never know.

His Cup win may shelter him.

After 2 first round exits...and a possible elimination currently...you just never know.

He may also be protected by both Bowman's.

Scotty always believed that you must retain the same staff with ownership trusting management to engineer the "right mix" of players.

I wonder if Dave Lewis' style has changed at all??!!!

Always liked him and he was never given good players (except when he replaced Bowman) as coach of the Bruins.

Actually id pull for him more than i would any suggestions from anywhere here in the last 5 years.

Brent Sutter is my choice , good with youth and no bs guy. also something about a Sutter that commands respect with the reffs, a start in the right direction..imo.

Not sure the Devils would agree with you there.

There are a few things about Sutter that I'd like, but the overall package - don't know if he's a great fit.

DeNiro replied for me:

I don't think anyone doesn't think we need some major upgrades on offense. That's pretty much the theme on here every day.

But this teams core is still elite. Any person that thinks it isn't is just a pessimist. The Sedins showed at the World's that they can still outperform the top players in the league.

The pieces are there, they just need a strong supporting cast. And a new coach with new ideas and enthusiasm could be just what these guys need to get motivated again.

Well I agree but what Gillis is saying sounds to me like we aren't getting any upgrades. He's basically admitted he's got no options because he doesn't want to move anyone. Where are these upgrades going to come from if the whole core is kept intact? Raymond's rights, Ballard, and a first? Unless we bring in a bonifide player that can score goals for the top 6 I see up repeating exactly what we have the last two years. I like the fact that we could see some new ideas and the enthusiam that comes with it but it isn't enough IMO.

I'd rather have a $6-$8 million dollar a year goalscorer in the top 6 instead of Luongo, Ballard, and Booth. Gillis doesn't seem to hold the same opinion so I will watch if yet another two grinder/reclaims can turn us into champs.

Finally, I gotta laugh at the suggestion that playing well in the world's has any translation value to the NHL. Ha ha ha. Okay I'm good.

The best coach the Canucks ever had.

Hockey business trumps sentimentality.

The AV detractors could very well be in for a rude awakening. Thankfully there is enough coachable talent for the new coach to work with.

Agree with Shorty's opinion after the playoff elimination; Gillis should acquiesce to the public by hiring a marquee name.

If Ruff is hired, its a big clue that Gillis' leash got a bit shorter.

Gillis should be embarrassed that he did not supply the team with the right players. And by that, i mean a smart move to back up Malhotra before their agreed upon deadline to be assessed.

Im of the opinion that lack of an added deadly centerman buried/imbalanced the whole team and ultimately cost AV/Bones/Brown their jobs.

This is where you lost me. Gillis supplied him with alot. And he failed.

Well I agree but what Gillis is saying sounds to me like we aren't getting any upgrades. He's basically admitted he's got no options because he doesn't want to move anyone. Where are these upgrades going to come from if the whole core is kept intact? Raymond's rights, Ballard, and a first? Unless we bring in a bonifide player that can score goals for the top 6 I see up repeating exactly what we have the last two years. I like the fact that we could see some new ideas and the enthusiam that comes with it but it isn't enough IMO.

Finally, I gotta laugh at the suggestion that playing well in the world's has any translation value to the NHL. Ha ha ha. Okay I'm good.

He did say they needed upgrades, and he said he didn't know whether they would come from within or somewhere else. Obviously he's going to add pieces.

So you're suggesting that the World's are a much easier game. If that's true how come a team that has Stamkos, Giroux, Eberle, and Duchene didn't just cruise to the finals?

They were on the world stage with some of the World's best and proved that they belonged there. No matter what level of play it is, it's all relative.

Archived