The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I don't see much creativity from him. He played the same 1-3-1 neutral zone trap in Juniors that he brought with him to the AHL and NHL.

He was lucky to have Stamkos and St.Louis for his powerplay.

So he uses it when he sees fit. What's wrong with that?

This looks like pretty exciting hockey to me:

There are more from that series on youtube for you to look at. He is alot more than just 1-3-1.

Why does anyone want Torts? What has he done to warrant this man crush on him?

After his ECF appearance he's been ousted twice in the 1st round, DNQ another year and made it to the 2nd roiund two years.

You realize he has won the Stanley Cup right?

These beaten to death keywords - "motivation" and "accountability", as well as the professed ability to divine/witness it through your Samsung flatscreen should be given a serious time out - it's been beaten to death.

The most absurd aspect imo is the suggestion that players like the Sedins lack motivation or accountability.

They are considered among the best conditioned athletes in the NHL.

That has been regularly evidenced over the years with their ability to outlast and dominate many opponents, particularly on lengthly shifts and in the second half of games.

Their conditioning would suggest the exact opposite of a lack of motivation - what it indicates are players that work hard every single day, regular or offseason (no doubt a significant aspect of the edge they have gained), to keep in tremendous shape.

To be an ironman, as Henrik has been, despite the regular abuse and attention that is constantly directed at the Sedins, is no small feat in itself. He was runover by Dustin Brown and returned to dominate the late stages of that playoff game. He has taken a slapshot off his ankle, limped off the ice, returned the next shift and set up two goals later in that game, was in a walking boot between games, and returned to the lineup the next game.

Vigneault said: “It shows how effective, durable and demanding Hank is on himself. Hopefully, the streak will continue.”

“It says a lot about him,” Roberto Luongo said. “Not only that, he gets a couple of points right away. That’s what leadership is all about right there. A play like that, most guys would have gone into the locker room and packed it in for the rest of the game. He just flied through that thing, and then contributed in a big way.”

Sounds like the leader of a "country club" to me.

Spare me the pretentious armchair judgements.

What qualifies a player as being among the fittest in the league, how often they go on long distance offseason runs? If so, then sure... The Sedins are uber-fit. The Sedins outlast opponents, particularly on lengthy shifts as you say, because they only move at HALF the speed of everyone else and spend most of their time in the offensive zone and not on the back check or penalty kill. Henriks ironman streak is impressive sure, but that had 95% to do with the hits he avoids and lack of physical play in general more than it does how tough and determined he is.

What qualifies a player as being among the fittest in the league, how often they go on long distance offseason runs? If so, then sure... The Sedins are uber-fit. The Sedins outlast opponents, particularly on lengthy shifts as you say, because they only move at HALF the speed of everyone else and spend most of their time in the offensive zone and not on the back check or penalty kill. Henriks ironman streak is impressive sure, but that had 95% to do with the hits he avoids and lack of physical play in general more than it does how tough and determined he is.

I'm guessing you took at least twice as long to think of that, and even more to write it, than you should have bothered to spend on that post.

Now I want Tortorella just to piss off the cryptkeeper.

But if we did that Torts might cause him to have a fatal heart attack and then we wouldn't have him to torture anymore, except we'd still be stuck with Torts.

Thanks for posting this- it was very illuminating example of what people have to say on the outside of things versus those in the know. Particularly like what the un-named player had to say.

I really don't think people have to worry about a coach who can light a fire under their ass. I think the Canucks are already motivated. Two very lacklustre playoffs will do that, especially knowing that if things dont change on the ice then roster changes are certainly coming.

What the Canucks need is a guy who can impliment systems that work for the players, and systems that get the most out of what the team has as a whole. Hearing that Stevens is a knowledgeable guy gives me the impression that perhaps he can bring in some fresh perspective post AV. And I don't think the players themselves want a guy who screams at them to get effort. What they want is effective direction and guidance. And perhaps AV had the right approach but what he tried to impliment wasn't enough.

They should be, and if they aren't with whatever new coach we choose after those two 1st round losses then getting an angrier coach like Torts certainly isn't going to do it.

Was doing a bit of due diligence on John Stevens as I really know nothing about him.

If you factor in his recent success with the Kings, it wouldn't be a surprise if he is near the top of MG's list of candidates.

I like Stevens as a top candidate, he has some interesting aspects to his personality and coaching style that could well work here. Here's the CanucksArmy.com profile on him from earlier in the week:

COACHING CANDIDATE PROFILES: JOHN STEVENS

Hoping the Sharks fire Mclellan.

What for? So we can hire him and continue to be a team that can't win it all in the playoffs?

He failed as a coach in Philly.

Not really. The record was the same when Laviolette took over. He has experience under a lot of coaches and is familar with the western conference.

That should give up a leg up on the competition. Richards and Carter have thrived being coached by him just like they did in Philly.

I think he could do the same with Kesler.

Plus he has learned a lot over the years from working in Philly even if he wasn't successful.

Not really. The record was the same when Laviolette took over. He has experience under a lot of coaches and is familar with the western conference.

That should give up a leg up on the competition. Richards and Carter have thrived being coached by him just like they did in Philly.

I think he could do the same with Kesler.

Plus he has learned a lot over the years from working in Philly even if he wasn't successful.

The new Coach has 3-4 Months prior to the season to become familiar with the Western Conference. Also it's not even a big deal, we play the east 32 times next year, hopefully the new coach is just good.

The new Coach has 3-4 Months prior to the season to become familiar with the Western Conference. Also it's not even a big deal, we play the east 32 times next year, hopefully the new coach is just good.

He has experience in the East too from his time in Philly. Obviously there are two different games being played in the East and West so hopefully next year by mixing both conferences the West will benefit with more wide open hockey like the East.

Archived