The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Here's some interesting records about Stevens when he was Flyers head coach:

2006 Most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

2006–07 Worst season record in Philadelphia Flyers history (Head Coach)

2006–07 NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next (101 points in the 2005–06 season to 56 points in the 2006–07 season) (Head Coach)

2008 – Tied 2006 record of most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

I've gone on record and said that Stevens is not the right fit here.

It looks like Tippett is staying in Phoenix, so with this said, i'd like either Ruff or Tortorella hired.

Canucks have had trouble with scoring, so wouldn't it make sense to hire Ruff, who employs Run N Gun Style.

Pretty simple to me. Your stats prove Stevens is a crappy coach. Ruff has never been better than average.

Torts is the wins this contest. He has the experience and a bit of much needed heavy hand for our floaters and stupid media

Pretty simple to me. Your stats prove Stevens is a crappy coach. Ruff has never been better than average.

Torts is the wins this contest. He has the experience and a bit of much needed heavy hand for our floaters and stupid media

5 year-old stats prove nothing.

I almost hope Torts gets the gig, just so those that want him will see how quickly his "heavy hand" wears thin. If you guys thought that the team tuned AV out...

Not a chance in hell Messier ever has anything to do with the Canucks again

At this point, I think it'll end up being either Stevens or Tortorella

Jason Botchford said in a twitter convo that he was going to interview with the Canucks. I know CDC doesnt like him but he is credible and he also did call the Torts interview a couple of days before it happend on twitter.

You want a coach that the team respects so much they'll run through a wall if he tells them to.

Having a coach that players are afraid of is not the way to motivate.

You look at coaches like Babcock and Quenville and it's easy to see why their players respect these guys.

I would honestly take Gretzky over Tortorella or Ruff. At least he could earn the respect of the room.

You want a coach that the team respects so much they'll run through a wall if he tells them to.

You look at coaches like Babcock and Quenville and it's easy to see why their players respect these guys.

I would honestly take Gretzky over Tortorella or Ruff. At least he could earn the respect of the room.

I like Gretzky because of the respect factor and I truly believe he has learned from the mistakes which haunted him in Phoenix. However there are several reasons I do not see it happening with the top one being the assistant GM Lawrence Gilman was fired in Phoenix while Gretzky was owner. Not sure MG's right hand man will be telling him to go get a guy that fired him.

Gretzky is a terrible coach

At this point does it really matter who they hire? Fans can say whatever they want about AV but he was the Canucks most winningest coach of all time and with him they won scoring titles, presidents trophies, best goalie tandem, and going one game away from winning the Stanley cup. The point is, considering all that AV accomplished in Vancouver how does a new coach succeed? The only way to top AV is to win the Stanley cup and if he doesn't then he will just be another coach who failed along with he rest. In the end, I just want to see this saga over with. Regardless of who they choose I will support the team and give the new coach a chance. I really don,t don't care about a coaches past stats because when they coach the Canucks it's about what he does here and not anywhere else.

It was odd how there was a rumor that Gretzky was going to be interviewed by Canucks but then it was shot down.

Does Gretzky want to coach again? He must as he and Messier have been rumored to be the top two candidates in New York.

Or was Phoenix a terrible team? :shock:

That was just a terrible situation all around........another example of the NHL exploiting the greatest player to ever play the game. I have no doubts he had no desire to coach that team, but did it out of obligation.

Is he a good coach? Who knows, he hasn't been a positive situation to find out.

Canucks have listing on craigslist for the Coaching Vacancy

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/lab/3866853714.html

VANCOUVER CANUCKS HEAD COACH (Vancouver)

The ideal candidate would have at least 5 years coaching position in the NHL or Minor Leagues, and at least 10 years working with a professional hockey team. (Stanley Cup Playoffs success experience an asset)

Responsibilities involve dealing with media conferences, directing team practices, developing player-coaching communications, reporting to the General Manager, and actually be able to WIN THE STANLEY CUP.

A cup winning season may lead to further contract extensions.

• Compensation: 1.5 million
  • This is a contract job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Posting ID: 3866853714

Posted: 2013-06-12, 2:11PM PDT

email to a friend

Ruff and Torts are the best two options to improve offensive.

Ruff - Run and Gun

Torts - In TB, he used the up tempo style. I know some who don't want him, will say he played a more defensive style in NY. Well, you've got to play defensive to a point.

Oh yeah, they just had Curtis "the plug" Joseph.. :huh:

And Bryzgalov for 2 seaons who just "happened" to turn into a superstar goaltender when Tippett got there?

Joseph was 38 years old and washed up, and Bryzgalov has never been a superstar. His goaltending was masked by Tippett's trap system.

Stats while Gretzky was coaching:

Curtis Joseph (38 years old)

05-06 2.91 GAA .902 SV%

06-07 3.91 GAA ..893 SV%

Ilya Bryzgalov

07-08 2.42 GAA .921 SV%

08-09 2.98 GAA .906 SV%

Mike Smith stats during their run

11-12 1.99 GAA .944 SV%

Please tell me again how goaltending wasn't a huge part of the Coyotes success last season. :lol:

Joseph was 38 years old and washed up, and Bryzgalov has never been a superstar. His goaltending was masked by Tippett's trap system.

Stats while Gretzky was coaching:

Curtis Joseph (38 years old)

05-06 2.91 GAA .902 SV%

06-07 3.91 GAA ..893 SV%

Ilya Bryzgalov

07-08 2.42 GAA .921 SV%

08-09 2.98 GAA .906 SV%

Mike Smith stats during their run

11-12 1.99 GAA .944 SV%

Please tell me again how goaltending wasn't a huge part of the Coyotes success last season. :lol:

What are you even arguing? Do you even know?

So you think Mike Smith's stats have NOTHING to do with the style of play his TEAM plays? You just fricken' said that it was due to Tippett's TRAP style that made Bryzgalov successful and guess what, he plays Coyotes play the exact same style with Smith. But i guess it was still just all Mike Smith that brought them to the ECF? Trap benefits Bryzgalov but definitely not Smith.. Nonono, the logic would be too obvious.

God damn you love contradicting yourself.

Remember when Quennville was available a few years ago? That was the time to make the change....

I have a feeling it will be Stevens since the Canucks already put it in their ear so they would spread the word about him. Every article this week in the Province has been about Stevens most likely being a "lock" for the head coaching position. What concerns me is how badly he shat the bed in Philly, and that he is a very defensive-minded coach.

Archived