The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Mike Gillis "on the spot" right now?

Kanucklehead10

How is this Aquilini's problem? They spend to the cap, and have no problem providing the GM with all the resources he needs to build new locker facilities, mind rooms, kitchens with chefs...etc. Seems to me that's what you'd want from an ideal owner.

I agree that MG and staff were clumsy in handling the AV firing. Surely this can't be pinned on the owners.

If I was the CEO of a company I owned, and one of my divisional presidents....of the highest profile business in the corporation....had a press conference where he publically stated everyone was being reviewed, including the coaching staff, then took too long to make the decision, and it was leaked before the decision apparently took place, I'd feel accountable I didn't insist it was done immediately. Add to this the Luongo situation, the AHL situation.....I'd really start to look hard at who was running the highest profile company I own. That is where they come in.

I'm not making any erroneous assumptions. I am looking at Gillis performance from a 40+ year fan and businessman's perspective. I don't use Gallagher and Botchford as a source, though I realize that was a rhetorical statement. (Skeletor drives me nuts actually).

I'm just stating accountability flows up and down in any company. If the general consensus around these parts is that Gillis hasn't done too well, then ownership has accountability. Not that they care what any of us think, but forums like this are for us to spout off. That's why we join them!

Gillis' ship is sinking and it all started when he signed Lou to that long term cap circumventing contract.Was he not aware that the New CBA might change the landscape?No freakin vison but that's not what he'd have you believe.Im not afforded the wealth to be an NHL Owner nor have the capacity to be a GM but if I was the guy signing the cheques I'd be mad as hell right now.If he's not on the spot now he damm well should be.

With the recent dismissal of Alain Vigneault and the hunt for a new coach, we are making changes in moving forward this franchise, but does this relieve the pressure off of Mike Gillis? I heard Darren Dreger and Bob Mckenzie talking about how Gillis is still being assessed by the ownership of the canucks and that his moves in these upcoming weeks will determine his position, but with what Gillis said during the news conference and his plans for the team, it seemed as if he is staying and being given another chance by the aquilinis...I could be wrong but does anyone think that there is a chance Gillis will be fired by the draft (highly unlikely) or during the summer? Personally, I think the ownership might use the draft as a test to have their opinions on where Gillis is leading this team and what they should do with him. I as well as many would love to see a fresh change in management..

I don't believe Mike GIllis is on any spot right now. His biggest and only huge blunder to date was not firing AV years ago..he allowed the team results to bouy a weak coach and that bit us in the butt, however I feel MG has and will continue to be a positive for the team for some time to come.

Here is what I am hoping to see: Schneider is traded for a top flight winger to go with the sedins, bur and kes are reunited full time with Kassian to mould him into a top six player who will eventually be a top line power forward. On Defence, I think we need to instill our trust in the guys we got, they are on the whole, awesome and in front of a top goalie, we are okay..what we need is more goals, more more more from the Offense. Give the twins a star to play with, reunite the burr kes line with some toughness in Kassian and then retune the bottom six: hansen higgins and maybe schroeder?!?, i can live with that..and I still like Lappy as a fourth line center, but bring up some talent to fill that out; jensen on fourth line wing perhaps?

EDIT: I forgot to add that by firing the coach who started teh goalie controversy, MG can go back to plan A and support Lu as our long term starter..Lu is an awesome goalie and in a couple years his cap hit will be less than average, no big whoop.

Let's just put it this way ... AV was fired and we all know it's a matter of days or weeks before he gets an offer to coach. If MG was fired ... how long do you think it would take for him to get another GM job ... precisely, .... never or in 15 years maybe. MG is a worst GM than AV a coach ... by far.

Can you bungle a fiasco?

:lol:

Gillis will be judged on how he deals with the salary cap first. Obviously, that means dealing with the Robory Schneidongo situation, as well as Ballard, and Booth (even though he may stay, it's still over 4 mil in cap to be managed) .

Anyone thinking Gillis is out of the hot seat is fooling themselves. He has a lot to answer for these coming weeks. He isn't going to be able to keep his job by simply saying one thing or another, he has to act upon his statements.

Ownership should not take his relieval of Alain as sufficient offseason action. Neither should the fans. Gillis has a lot of work to do regarding improving this team based on the last 2 playoff performances, and hell, the inconsistent and confused play during the regular season.

Let's just put it this way ... AV was fired and we all know it's a matter of days or weeks before he gets an offer to coach. If MG was fired ... how long do you think it would take for him to get another GM job ... precisely, .... never or in 15 years maybe. MG is a worst GM than AV a coach ... by far.

If you want a really good read on Mike Gillis, here it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

I won't quote the article here because it is very long. But it gives a very clear picture of his personality and approach. It also gives a bit of insight into why he does things the way he does as a GM both good and bad and why he may not have the best relationships with other GM's around the league.

What I found though was that there are also many points taken from his history that shed some light on why the Aquilinis are seemingly very committed to him. Not many of them have to do with how he has handled the things we see and focus on mostly with him (trades, signings, drafting) but more on the business and negotiating sides of the operation which seems to be a strength.

He plays the media exactly the way he did on the other side of the fence, which I found funny actually. He comes off as quite stubborn and adamant in getting what he wants every time, which have both been put out there as criticisms about his approach (the non trade of Luongo, keeping Ballard for two years too long, keeping AV too long, not changing the team fast enough, etc.) Whether these are valid or not is open to debate of course, but his demeanor certainly seems to suggest he is used to getting his way.

I found this made me see things I really like about Gillis and things I really don't like to be honest. I found it really interesting.

^^ I agree. It's not like this decision was based on this season alone either.

Alot of people thought AV should have been fired after last season when they won the President's trophy and got bounced in the first round. But despite his critics, Gillis was loyal and gave him another shot. Almost the same result this year.

Not sure how anyone can say that coaching wasn't a factor. There's no way this team is out in 4 if their special teams were figured out during the regular season. But the reality is the coaching staff struggled all season to get everyone on the same page, and ultimately failed.

obviously changing the coach can have an effect , but if management doesnt get pieces to help this team , hiring pat quinn , scotty bowman , and toe blake wont be enough of a change to help this team advance further than the 1st round ..

Archived