The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Mike Gillis "on the spot" right now?

Kanucklehead10

With the recent dismissal of Alain Vigneault and the hunt for a new coach, we are making changes in moving forward this franchise, but does this relieve the pressure off of Mike Gillis? I heard Darren Dreger and Bob Mckenzie talking about how Gillis is still being assessed by the ownership of the canucks and that his moves in these upcoming weeks will determine his position, but with what Gillis said during the news conference and his plans for the team, it seemed as if he is staying and being given another chance by the aquilinis...I could be wrong but does anyone think that there is a chance Gillis will be fired by the draft (highly unlikely) or during the summer? Personally, I think the ownership might use the draft as a test to have their opinions on where Gillis is leading this team and what they should do with him. I as well as many would love to see a fresh change in management..

Answered your own question.

It's obvious he has a chance of being fired and that ownership will evaluate his moves more strictly than ever before, and MG is playing it cool/making it sound like not that big of a deal to keep himself at ease and to stop media from going off more than it does. And yes I agree - I believe as we'll that ownership will use this draft as a testimony of how MG's future will be.

It's obvious he has a chance of being fired and that ownership will evaluate his moves more strictly than ever before, and MG is playing it cool/making it sound like not that big of a deal to keep himself at ease and to stop media from going off more than it does. And yes I agree - I believe as we'll that ownership will use this draft as a testimony of how MG's future will be.

I think the Aquilinis are rather fond of Gillis and what he's accomplished in his tenure, he definitely will be given ample opportunity to redeem himself from this past year

Who can really tell, but my gut tells me MG isn't in too much trouble right now. It's too easy to look at AV's recent choices and say, "What was that?!" Ownership should give MG the summer to really address the problems. Next year will be a good measuring stick to see how he has done. My guess would be that MG only gets fired next Spring if the Canucks miss the Playoffs or suffer another early exit.

For me, I'm ready to turn the page on this 'core.' The 2011 Canucks couldn't quite get it done, so there's no sense in trying to rebuild that dream each year.

mmmmm when is everyone gonna realize that a/v winning record in regular season were the goalies and sedins bailing the team out of many loses games we had no place winning. Especially the first 10 games this yr bobby lou was stealing games left right and center while our predictable coaches an systems where ineffective our pp was in bottom 5 of whole until kesler came back going 1/36 at one point in yr. Thankfully i will never see canuck try the dumb drop pass play ever again.

mmmmm when is everyone gonna realize that a/v winning record in regular season were the goalies and sedins bailing the team out of many loses games we had no place winning. Especially the first 10 games this yr bobby lou was stealing games left right and center while our predictable coaches an systems where ineffective our pp was in bottom 5 of whole until kesler came back going 1/36 at one point in yr. Thankfully i will never see canuck try the dumb drop pass play ever again.

Who can really tell, but my gut tells me MG isn't in too much trouble right now. It's too easy to look at AV's recent choices and say, "What was that?!" Ownership should give MG the summer to really address the problems. Next year will be a good measuring stick to see how he has done. My guess would be that MG only gets fired next Spring if the Canucks miss the Playoffs or suffer another early exit.

For me, I'm ready to turn the page on this 'core.' The 2011 Canucks couldn't quite get it done, so there's no sense in trying to rebuild that dream each year.

He's on the hot seat for sure, but if he's not fired now (ie before he hires a new coach or the draft) then they need to give him the full season to work.

Letting Gillis work the draft and move Luongo, only to fire him days before FA would be stupid, as the new GM would have very little time to work in his own plan.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that mike and francesco are buisness partners in a few ventures , which complicates there relationship in terms of hockey .. have you ever heard of an owner and a gm that were partners in businesses outside of the game of hockey ??? .. this is part of the bizarre world and culture that the aquillinis have created .. good luck making the right decisions when things become this convoluted ..

Archived