The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Mike Gillis "on the spot" right now?

Kanucklehead10

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that mike and francesco are buisness partners in a few ventures , which complicates there relationship in terms of hockey .. have you ever heard of an owner and a gm that were partners in businesses outside of the game of hockey ??? .. this is part of the bizarre world and culture that the aquillinis have created .. good luck making the right decisions when things become this convoluted ..

Gillis needs to make some bold and risky moves when it comes to players. Firing the coach is the safest move he could have made. He needs to take a hard look at moving guys like Edler and burrows prior to their NTC's kicking in. Also, luongo has got to be moved before or on draft day. If he doesn't do these moves he should be gone as he obviously doesn't have the skills to perform in his role.

Not at all.

Unless it happens very shortly but if that were the case they might as well have fired him already. Once they start letting him bring in more third liners and crap 4th liners and start preaching gospel to the fans It would be silly to bring in a new GM then.

Either now or he gets another year. Complete waste of a real fans time but the Canucks will still make money and fight for a playoff spot, remember Edm and Cal are still in our division so we basically will only have to beat out them and Phoenix to make it. I see Edmonton as being the only problem and one of LA, ANA, or SJ could struggle as well.

The year after a media onslaught MG will be fired, the Sedins contract will up and the overhaul will begin. Enjoy one more year at the CC MG.

He's made a ton of $ for the owners. As long as he gets past the 1st round next season, he will get a nod to the following year.

It wouldn't make much sense to replace Gillis now. If they were going to do that, they should have done it before firing AV. That way, the new GM comes in and has a chance to make an impact right away.

This may be Gillis' last chance, however. If he stands pat the way he suggested he might ... I don't see him lasting long. Right now, if all they do is replace the coach, then they have to at least win the division and make it to the second round. Minimum. Otherwise, you have achieved no more success by switching coaches and you can really argue that coaching really wasn't the issue (and frankly, I don't think it was). But that would be extremely risky for Gillis to open himself up to that.

Gillis has said that they need to play their young players and "live with their mistakes", but I still don't think that means he gets away with just making a coaching change. Gillis has had five years, and I've liked him less as time goes by, not sure that's the way you want the GM to trend. I don't see much on the horizon that gives me hope, either, that Gillis will somehow create a real legacy with this team. It's not the next GM will come in and be accussed of being successful with "Gillis players", like we hear now about the "Burke players". I just can't see it.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that mike and francesco are buisness partners in a few ventures , which complicates there relationship in terms of hockey .. have you ever heard of an owner and a gm that were partners in businesses outside of the game of hockey ??? .. this is part of the bizarre world and culture that the aquillinis have created .. good luck making the right decisions when things become this convoluted ..

Not at all.

Unless it happens very shortly but if that were the case they might as well have fired him already. Once they start letting him bring in more third liners and crap 4th liners and start preaching gospel to the fans It would be silly to bring in a new GM then.

Either now or he gets another year. Complete waste of a real fans time but the Canucks will still make money and fight for a playoff spot, remember Edm and Cal are still in our division so we basically will only have to beat out them and Phoenix to make it. I see Edmonton as being the only problem and one of LA, ANA, or SJ could struggle as well.

The year after a media onslaught MG will be fired, the Sedins contract will up and the overhaul will begin. Enjoy one more year at the CC MG.

As long as he gets past the 1st round next season? You make this sound like something that NHL teams regularily do?

I don't believe Mike GIllis is on any spot right now. His biggest and only huge blunder to date was not firing AV years ago..he allowed the team results to bouy a weak coach and that bit us in the butt, however I feel MG has and will continue to be a positive for the team for some time to come.

Here is what I am hoping to see: Schneider is traded for a top flight winger to go with the sedins, bur and kes are reunited full time with Kassian to mould him into a top six player who will eventually be a top line power forward. On Defence, I think we need to instill our trust in the guys we got, they are on the whole, awesome and in front of a top goalie, we are okay..what we need is more goals, more more more from the Offense. Give the twins a star to play with, reunite the burr kes line with some toughness in Kassian and then retune the bottom six: hansen higgins and maybe schroeder?!?, i can live with that..and I still like Lappy as a fourth line center, but bring up some talent to fill that out; jensen on fourth line wing perhaps?

EDIT: I forgot to add that by firing the coach who started teh goalie controversy, MG can go back to plan A and support Lu as our long term starter..Lu is an awesome goalie and in a couple years his cap hit will be less than average, no big whoop.

The owners are up to their eyeballs in this. Gillis and the Aquillini's demonstrate they have little experience running a corporation that is in the public eye and under intense scrutiny. Gillis had no background before being a GM, and the Aquillini's ran a very private family controlled business. You would think they would have learned by now, but they have one publicity fiasco after another.

I worked in a publically traded, very high profile company, for over 30 years. The public handling of AV and the coaching staff was so fundamentally wrong, its like they have no clue whatsoever on how to go about these things.

The owners are up to their eyeballs in this. Gillis and the Aquillini's demonstrate they have little experience running a corporation that is in the public eye and under intense scrutiny. Gillis had no background before being a GM, and the Aquillini's ran a very private family controlled business. You would think they would have learned by now, but they have one publicity fiasco after another.

I worked in a publically traded, very high profile company, for over 30 years. The public handling of AV and the coaching staff was so fundamentally wrong, its like they have no clue whatsoever on how to go about these things.

Well if Gillis is a partner on non Canuck ventures it will be hard for the owner to fire him. He could do it though and keep Gillis in some other form related to the team or otherwise. I still think Gillis should be fired. He is a part of the mess the team has become. Feel sorry for the players who may have spent their best years under Gillis, and AV. Gillis is a lousy judge of talent, or poorly advised. I think it is just a business with Gillis. As long as the fans are going to the rink who cares?

If I was Aquilini, I'd see how he performs with Luongo trade, Draft, new coach, and Free agency deadline. If he doesn't do anything significant to right some of the mess ... Booth, Luongo, Ballard ... then I'd fire him before the beginning of next season.

Not sure what you are referring too...the handling over the years or the way they were fired? I am glad they were not fired the day the team got knocked out..you do need time to reflect and make sure your not knee jerking....so how was it badly handled? Elaborate please....or are you just an AV fan who is mad he was fired? There is a difference.

Archived