The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Mike Gillis "on the spot" right now?

Kanucklehead10

Grabner is not much of a 'steal' to be honest, a good player, but 'getting a return' on him...its not worth crying about. As for the Coho Trade: you have to give it time to decide what we 'got' out of it. SOmetimes it is addition by subtraction. I didn't see Cody first line centering his way into the playoffs did you? acquiring Ballard at the moment we got him was a pretty bold move, it not working out is called hindsight and you can't fault someone for something most people thought was a good move at the time, years later, its just silly to use your years of post event knowledge to judge the event. At the time, it was an okay move.

Not replacing Ehrhoff: check. You hit on something there. the only thing we don't really have is a legit Dman power play QB. We need one.

^^ I agree. It's not like this decision was based on this season alone either.

Alot of people thought AV should have been fired after last season when they won the President's trophy and got bounced in the first round. But despite his critics, Gillis was loyal and gave him another shot. Almost the same result this year.

Not sure how anyone can say that coaching wasn't a factor. There's no way this team is out in 4 if their special teams were figured out during the regular season. But the reality is the coaching staff struggled all season to get everyone on the same page, and ultimately failed.

It could be the owners are scouting a new manager as we speak. They will not fire Gillis till they have someone who has accepted the job. I think they need more than a smooth talking manager nice guy. They need someone with a plan. It is likely the Canucks will now go through some bad years as did Edmonton. It is likely also attendance will drop till there is something good happening. The plans have not been successful under Gillis.He inherited a ready made team basically. With AV Gillis made huge mistakes. He needs to go.

It could be the owners are scouting a new manager as we speak. They will not fire Gillis till they have someone who has accepted the job. I think they need more than a smooth talking manager nice guy. They need someone with a plan. It is likely the Canucks will now go through some bad years as did Edmonton. It is likely also attendance will drop till there is something good happening. The plans have not been successful under Gillis.He inherited a ready made team basically. With AV Gillis made huge mistakes. He needs to go.

well why stop there?

Did you think the Canucks were ill suited to make a push in the playoffs back when the season was under way?

I sure did. Most of the hockey world did/does.

MG probably has a few years before he is "on the spot". They will let him change the coach, and try to do something with this core.

If that fails, the best time for a new GM is when this core needs to be shipped out and a new one built.

If that succeeds, and this core, surrounded by youth and vitality - actually is successful, then MG will be here to ship them out and replace it.

So... the draft has nothing to do with it - no more than anything else. More importantly, let's see which coach it is, and how well it works.

I expect precious sweet F all to happen besides a coaching change. More of the same minor changes that have happened before. But MG is not on the spot.

Over-all, I like the management approach of trying to attract large name players - but they just haven't come. Sundin is the biggest name that has come here, and was also the first one under MG's watch. The other forwards have either been has-beens, or damaged goods. And we wonder why the team can't score? Really, if they aren't coming of their own free will, MG might actually have to make a real "hockey" trade and bring in someone of consequence. Not sure if he will, that would be too bold...

I think firing Vigneault was a mistake. Everyone who was anti-Vigneault will now switch their ire to Gillis. Everyone who was pro-Vigneault will be even more anti-Gillis. Basically Gillis has two seasons to win a Cup now or at least get real close again, people are gonna be out for his head. We had a good thing going here, stability, every season we came in with a good shot to at least be a contender. Now it is all in flux and as we are heading into a new division, a division where there are some strong coaches and veteran teams with solid, entrenched systems, we are gonna be trying to integrate a new system and new coaching staff and probably a lot of new players, it could get real ugly. I feel like the moves this team has made lately have been short-sighted and generally detrimental, driven by the unreasonable expectations and win-now mentality. Because of the way the playoffs are, all the things that have to go right in order to succeed, isn't the best strategy to just ensure that you have a shot every season?

Archived