The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tired of losing....get Mackinnon & Drouin, *No Matter The Cost*

Gillis isn't Burke. Gillis doesn't have the assets, the skill,or the relationships with other GM's to get this done. We're talking about the guy who completely mismanaged the goaltending situation and you expect him to pull off what would be the biggest maneuver in NHL draft history? Not a chance

This lineup is a dream, mackinnon will be taken 1st overall now, there's no way they take jones first especially after the memorial cup tourney,and Nathan destroying jones one on one several times. With this proposal we would end up getting drouin, than either jones or barkov or Valerie . And even than it would take more to get these picks,not based off fairness but it takes an offer so ridiculous that they can't turn it down. And no way would talkin trade kulikov with the 2nd overall pick.

Iginla will ne'er play for any team that was in the northwest either it's east or Calgary.

Jagr would look nice with the sedins though I think, but he's old now, still effective but would be in and out of lineup with injuries.

Having mackinnon and drouin plus the sedins would be amazing though, fun to think of but not a reality

You saw the title...tired of losing every year. Sacrifice whatever the price may be to acquire Mackinnon & Drouin. Mackinnon is the next coming of Crosby and with both these youngsters, we'll be more respected around the league and will get calls going our way with Mackinnon to be a poster boy for the NHL and his sidekick Drouin - kinda like Crosby and Malkin.

Our drafting/developing is horrendous compared to most teams in the league so I have no faith in them. Leave them behind, forget about drafting 23rd or whatever it is and taking a chance with us developing them, and draft number 2 & 3 overall and get guaranteed success. Again, doesn't matter the price. If MG is smart, he does this knowing there's a better chance of us winning a Cup - multiple Cups at that - with drafting these 2 rather than going his own way, plus this way, our future 1st line would be solidified when the Sedin's leave which can be soon as next year with both contracts expiring and them maybe ending their career in Sweden as reported/rumoured.

My proposal to turn around this organization which has been a fail considering it hasn't won a Cup in 40+ years of existence in the league:

To Florida: Edler, Jensen, Higgins, 2013 1st, 2014 3rd

To Vancouver: 2nd overall (Mackinnon), Kulikov

Then

To Tampa Bay: Schneider, Schroeder, Ballard, 2014 1st, 2013 3rd

To Vancouver: 3rd overall (Drouin), prospect

Roster:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (4.5)

Jagr (2.5) - Kesler (5) - Iginla (3.5)

Drouin (3.550) - Mackinnon (3.550) - Kassian (0.870) [Future Alert!]

Lapierre (1) - Hendricks (1.25) - Hansen (1.35)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)

Garrison (4.6) - Tanev (1.8)

Kulikov (2.5) - Corrado (0.599)

Luongo (5.333)

Lack (0.750)

Fits under $64 mill cap max....that is how you turn around a franchise. Future of the NHL playing 3rd line. Get Iggy and Jags to take a discount and win a Cup with us. Keep the Sedin's and Burrows. Hendricks for depth. Get a young dman in Kulikov, Lu mentors Lack. Lineup has everything...young talent slotted in everywhere plus lots of veteran players. This would keep us contenders and make us a lethal threat for many years to come. One can dream, and I don't care if I overpaid for those 2 picks, but I'd do that anytime - anytime! - to revive this franchise and get the respect from fans back.

A few corrections for you: 1/ I believe Burrows cap hit will be 6.000 2/ Hansen...cap hit is 1.100 and Hansen on the 4th line? After he's worked is a$$ off to the third you want to now take ice time away from him? hmmmm 3/ Lack's cap hit is 0.850 and Kassian's is 0.810 4/ So I'm Dale Tallon...I'm probably getting MacKinnon or Drouin to help with my offensive woes. Do you think the better solution to my goal scoring troubles is a combination of Edler, Jensen and Higgins? Whenever you make a proposal, you need to look at it from the other team's perspective (take off the homer glasses). If you were a Panthers fan would you be happy that your GM traded away a potential future star for 3 role players? 5/ And MOST important, do you wait to see what the AVS are doing with #1 (rumoured they are willing to deal) before you step in to counter?...PS/ I looked back over the last 7 years of drafts...no one has traded a top 3 pick (BOS-TOR doesn't count as it was coincidental and after the fact that Boston ended up with such a high pick...they didn't necessarily trade to get a top 3). And with the potential of this year's top 5, I can't see anybody willing to risk moving out.

Id rather edler, 2013 first, 2014 first for 1st overall, then booth, higgins, luongo, raymond and 2015 first for 2nd overall.

Draft mackinnon and drouin.

Sedins Iginla

Burrows Kesler Briere

Drouin Mackinnon Kassian

Lapierre Hendricks Pinizotto

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Schneider

UFA

Based on my brief calculations we are under the cap if we sign iginla and briere for 8 million, maybe slighly more. And the ufa goalie is 1 million. This team is good for the cup and the future. As we also have jensen in the minors

Id rather edler, 2013 first, 2014 first for 1st overall, then booth, higgins, luongo, raymond and 2015 first for 2nd overall.

Draft mackinnon and drouin.

Sedins Iginla

Burrows Kesler Briere

Drouin Mackinnon Kassian

Lapierre Hendricks Pinizotto

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Schneider

UFA

Based on my brief calculations we are under the cap if we sign iginla and briere for 8 million, maybe slighly more. And the ufa goalie is 1 million. This team is good for the cup and the future. As we also have jensen in the minors

A few corrections for you: 1/ I believe Burrows cap hit will be 6.000 2/ Hansen...cap hit is 1.100 and Hansen on the 4th line? After he's worked is a$$ off to the third you want to now take ice time away from him? hmmmm 3/ Lack's cap hit is 0.850 and Kassian's is 0.810 4/ So I'm Dale Tallon...I'm probably getting MacKinnon or Drouin to help with my offensive woes. Do you think the better solution to my goal scoring troubles is a combination of Edler, Jensen and Higgins? Whenever you make a proposal, you need to look at it from the other team's perspective (take off the homer glasses). If you were a Panthers fan would you be happy that your GM traded away a potential future star for 3 role players? 5/ And MOST important, do you wait to see what the AVS are doing with #1 (rumoured they are willing to deal) before you step in to counter?...PS/ I looked back over the last 7 years of drafts...no one has traded a top 3 pick (BOS-TOR doesn't count as it was coincidental and after the fact that Boston ended up with such a high pick...they didn't necessarily trade to get a top 3). And with the potential of this year's top 5, I can't see anybody willing to risk moving out.

It's their choice. Iggy said he wants to win a Cup, and with these moves, I don't see why he wouldn't want to sign at that discount price and get a shot here. Jags is real old and would have to take a discount to come here too. I can imagine Iggy signing at that price with these moves, but maybe not Jagr. If Jagr doesn't want to take that discount, go after other FA's and get that 2nd line complete.

Sorry, I was using NHLNumbers.com, I didn't even realize they were quoting salary (instead of cap hit)...my bad. But the number corrections were hardly the point of my reply...I was slanting towards the deals. Again, although Tampa might be inclined towards it, I doubt Florida would be. And who knows who you're dealing with anyways. At this point it might be COL & FLA...it could be COL and TBAY...it could be any team (whoever COL trades their pick to) and then either Florida team? If you secure #1 from the AVS do you risk dealing with FLA and dropping to #3 or do you overpay to get #2 (other GM's will see what you're trying to do and WILL exploit that). And as bad enough as the above scenarios are...how many other GM's will be inquiring about the same pair of deals/players? This will drive their value far too high in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, these 2 offensive dynamos ARE worth it, but are they worth it at the expense of demolishing any depth you may have in order to get them (and HOPE they perform at the NHL level the same as they did in Junior)? And by destroying depth I mean that the return payment quoted by the OP may actually go up by the time the draft day comes (again depending upon who you're dealing with and how many others want in on the deal). All in all though I see where the OP is headed with his post...if we can expend SOME quality pieces, and try and take a run at just a PARTIAL rebuild, then we are obviously way further ahead than a FULL rebuild. Kudos for that.

Archived