The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[HUGE] MLB planning to suspend Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Ryan Braun and others

With all due respect to the league, didn't they embrace and hug A-Roid and others for coming out with those cute hug me I did roid letters not to long ago? You know the MLB's player reps will have a field day about this

• 1 month later...

BREWERS OUTFIELDER BRAUN SUSPENDED FOR REST OF SEASON BY MLB

NEW YORK -- Former National League MVP Ryan Braun was suspended without pay for the rest of the season and the post-season Monday in the first penalty following Major League Baseball's investigation of the Florida clinic accused of distributing performance-enhancing drugs.

Braun accepted the penalty.

"I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions," he said in a statement.

MBL attempted to suspend Braun for a positive drug test following the 2011 season, but an arbitrator overturned the penalty because the Milwaukee star's urine sample was not handled as specified by baseball's drug agreement.

Braun, injured Yankees star Alex Rodriguez and more than a dozen players were targeted by MLB following a report by Miami New Times in January that they had been connected with Biogenesis of America, a now-closed anti-aging clinic.

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig announced the penalty Monday, citing Braun for multiple unspecified "violations" of baseball's drug program and labour contract. Braun will miss the Milwaukee Brewers' final 65 games without pay, costing him about $3 million of his $8.5 million salary.

"We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions," said Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice-president for economics and league affairs. "We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter. When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field."

REPORT: MLB COULD HAND LIFETIME BAN IF A-ROD REJECTS DEAL

The New York Daily News reports that Major League Baseball is hoping to cut a deal with Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, to suspend him for the remainder of this season and all of next season without pay.

The newspaper adds that if Rodriguez refuses the suspension, it's expected that Commissioner Bud Selig will pursue a lifetime suspension for him and an announcement could come late Monday or Tuesday.

If Rodriguez accepts the deal, there's a chance he'd still cash in on the $60 million the Yankees owe him from 2015 to 2017.

A source close to Rodriguez, however, told the Daily News that if there is a suspension, Rodriguez will fight it.

MLB's investigation to possible ties between Rodriguez and Biogenesis - a Florida clinic accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs is just one controversy associated with the veteran slugger. The Yankees owe him almost $95 million through 2017 and he's missed the entire season following hip surgery in January.

MLB suspended Milwaukee Brewers player Ryan Braun for the remainder of the 2013 season (65 games and the postseason) last week for his involvement with the Biogenesis clinic. Braun, who did not appeal the suspension, will lose $3.25 million.

Archived