The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Malkin Re-signs with Pens

Now we just need to find a way to pry Letang out of Pitts....

If we end up moving Edler and Ballard then there would definitely be room financially for a Norris calibre d man in Letang.

Add on the fact that we could shed Luongo, Booth (hopefully), MayRay, Malhotra and Roy's contracts we might just have some decent wiggle room for FA/trades this year....maybe

"Seems to me the Sedins want to win a cup more than most do in the league considering they're 2 of the only stars in the league that don't have ridiculous contracts.'

the Sedins signed good for both party contracts years ago but at that time they were not huge discounts.

Anybody here ever tell their boss "no thanks, don't want a raise?"

Very true. None of the Canadians I work with care about how much they make. They just want our organization to do well. We all sacrifice the future wellbeing of our families for the good of our wealthy business.

EDIT: just like Getzlaf and Perry, who both took well under market value so their team, which can struggle as a southern US market, can compete.

And also like Crosby, who signed a contract much larger than Malkin's.

So apparently an $800,000 dollar raise is going to be the end of the Penguins.

Apparently the two best players in the world are greedy a-holes because they didn't take $5 million dollars a piece, when guys like Getzlaf and Perry are making in the mid $8 million dollar range.

Oh man poor Pittsburgh. It must suck having the two best players in the world taking up 1/3 of your contract space. It must just be awful having two players capable of putting up a combined 200+ points in a season. Actually based on the way Crosby has been playing lately they are capable of putting up a combined 250+ points a season.

Malkin and Crosby on the market could easily, and I mean easily, demand the max allowed per year which is around $11 million. There would be teams lining up out the door to sign one of these guys for that money. I mean you sign Crosby or Malkin and that could potentially turn your franchise around. But apparently they're greedy douches for not taking a $6 million dollar discount and instead only took $2-4 million dollar discount. What douche bags.

Malkin's contract doesn't kick in for a year. And I can guarantee you, based on the revenues the NHL made this year, the cap will go up by the time his contract kicks in. Actually if the revenues continue like this the cap is going to go WAYYY up. And we're talking higher then it's ever been before. The NHL did amazing this year revenue wise.

It's good for the team in the sense that they can rest assured that they'll get scoring from them for YEARS to come, but bad in the sense that (as mentioned) they'll take up so much of the salary that the rest of the team will need to be built from scraps (and the pieces they get after trading Fleury and maybe Letang/ Kunitz). However, that being said I'm not worried about them at all since with Shero at the helm they've been good at consistently stockpiling quality talent on ELC's (Bennett, their pile of defensemen, etc.) and they know how to maximize the return for their secondary players (e.g. trading Staal for Sutter, plus Dumoulin and Carolina's 1st). It's this kind of aggressive management that allows this team to have quality longevity (along with several years of having 1st picks to lay that solid foundation).

Archived