The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

Brad Zeimer is an idiot from PoCo. We all can read CapGeek.com

We supposedly have 7.49 M with Lack as our backup and Corrado on our roster already (check capgeek).

Here's my analysis:

• Weise gets Sestito money = 750K

• Lain gets 650K

• Tanev gets 1.35M

• Schroeder 1M******Now figure the 3rd line Centre will be filled with one of our prospects, be it Schroeder, Horvat or Gaunce - all under 1M

That leaves us with roughly 3.75M for a 2nd Liner and a Depth Defensemen (Jonathan Blum is a good idea for cheap)

My thinking is that some of the new contracts will be bottom loaded for cap relief and that Canucks will go hard on Weiss for that 2nd line spot. Tanev might make just 1M this year and 1.5 next year etc etc. Right now they just need to scrounge but Gilman is a CBA expert and I wouldn't worry too much now that Ballard is bought out.

It's rough for sure, and won't leave us much room, but it's what will need to be done. Basically if the Canucks can't get a 2nd liner and just tries to fill the 2nd line with a hopeful prospect, they wont get very far. 2nd liners go hot and cold and prospects have the toughest time with consistency.

I have faith that the Canucks will get it done though.

BTW the reason I think Canucks WILL go for a 2nd liner is their already posting articles looking at 2nd liners specifically: http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

Pretty dumb to post stuff like that and come out of Free Agency empty-handed. ie: not many Season Ticket holders will be happy, esp if their raising prices.

Including you.

If the Gooseberry and Pumpkin are not able or willing to do anything constructive how about we mash you up for some refreshments or pie? Bring some ice cream when you get back to me with those stats.

Blum has as much pushback as a 2 year old. Do you wait till we sign these bums before you check them out? Great we let Alberts walk (who played a great physical game last year) and sign bums and duds. FFS Gillis needs to disappear.

With little cap space, low quality UFAs this summer - it's pretty much required that Canucks pick up a tough minute centre. Boyd Gordon is the most quality one on the UFA list. They need to do whatever they can to lure him here, including giving him a 4 yr contract if that's what's needed. Once Manny go injured, we've seen how hard it is to replace these type of centres. They rarely come avaliable.

Canucks can't afford to bring a top 6 scoring winger that they need, but by bringing in a low cost tough min centre they're essentially accomplishing the same result. Bringing in Gordon will allow Kes and Hank to play much easier minutes against the opponents bottom 6 scrubs (a la 10/11 Presidents trophy team). It'll also protect the centre depth when Kes inevitably gets injured again. It'll allow Canucks to ease in their younger centres (Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat etc) where they can play the much needed sheltered minutes. As I've been saying since the 2011 summer, if they don't pick up a tough min centre, they can look forward to another 1st round exit.

What does everyone think of this line up? IMO this is as about as close as it gets to reality

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)

Jordan Schroeder ($1.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Darcy Hordichuk ($0.750m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.350m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Jonathon Blum ($0.850m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,359,444; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $103,056

Schroeder on Kesler's LW so he can be the playmaker on that line. Also Booth shipped out for a mid-late pick. If Shawn Horcoff and his contract can get Philip Larsen then Booth can easily be traded to a team like the Islanders or Winnipeg.

booth is injured....i was pretty sure you couldnt trade an injured player just like you cant buy them out either.... by the time he is healthy the bigs name FAs are going to be gone... people just need to face the fact that next year is going to suck...we are just rolling out pretty much the same team that has been in a 2 year decline with little change and 0 help comming this year...... we need to hope that the sedins take a pay cut and sign contracts that will really help us and we can be competitive again in 14-15

I'm fine with Gillis staying quiet. Teams make dumb moves on this day, i'm glad we won't be one of them. Just get some money ball signing, i'd be happy with Jon Blum. Develop from within and don't waste money on players that we don't need

so your suggesting we dont sign blum (low risk high reward) for mext to nothing because he has no pushback. but we sign Raymond for 3 mill per becase he hits like a dumptruck???

What does everyone think of this line up? IMO this is as about as close as it gets to reality

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)

Jordan Schroeder ($1.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Darcy Hordichuk ($0.750m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.350m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Jonathon Blum ($0.850m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,359,444; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $103,056

Schroeder on Kesler's LW so he can be the playmaker on that line. Also Booth shipped out for a mid-late pick. If Shawn Horcoff and his contract can get Philip Larsen then Booth can easily be traded to a team like the Islanders or Winnipeg.

Archived