The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you tired of our "build a defence by commitee approach? Would you rather have a bonfide stud?

Canuckler87

I sure am. Would rather see a stud D-man ala Chara, Doughty , Keith who can do it all extremely well and even play 30 mins a night. Look at the last four cup winners:

Chicago (two times): Keith, Seabrook complimented by rag tag group with guys like Oduya , Leddy

Boston: Big Z

L.A. : Drew Doughty

All this while we overpay our above average D-men & give them no trade clauses making then unmovable. Basically, all those teams invest less in their D group & more into their forwards. Our forward group seems weaker to me than last year due to losses of Roy & Lapierre with rookies likely replacing them.

Who else is tired of us not having a stud Dman? It's been forever since we've had one.

Yes, but they are hard to get.

Our best chance is probably one of our prospects who plays in all situations exceeding expectations. Maybe Corrado? Remember, Keith was a second round pick.

Or we could suck and draft one with a really high pick.

Bottom line though, I don't think you can win without one in today's NHL.

So youre saying you want a star defenseman? Doesn't every team? And originally that was the plan. We were trying to groom edler into an all-star, (we succeeded for one season) and he was supposed to be complimented with a solid group of defenders such as hamhuis, bieksa and garrison. Plans don't work out perfectly though. But if everyone plays to their potential, that's how it could work out.

I sure am. Would rather see a stud D-man ala Chara, Doughty , Keith who can do it all extremely well and even play 30 mins a night. Look at the last four cup winners:

Chicago (two times): Keith, Seabrook complimented by rag tag group with guys like Oduya , Leddy

Boston: Big Z

L.A. : Drew Doughty

All this while we overpay our above average D-men & give them no trade clauses making then unmovable. Basically, all those teams invest less in their D group & more into their forwards. Our forward group seems weaker to me than last year due to losses of Roy & Lapierre with rookies likely replacing them.

Who else is tired of us not having a stud Dman? It's been forever since we've had one.

Hamhuis ain't chopped liver! Many say he out-performed most of the D-men at the World Championships tournament this year. Unlike the suggestion you've put forth...I believe that 1 guy cannot do it all alone. But - I do believe that 1 guy's presense or absence from a team's line-up can severely impact a game or a series...ie: Hamhuis goin' out during Game 3 vs Boston.

I'd rather three pairings that are all pretty good. Rather than be one 10 million dollar groin pull or mcl tear from a lottery pick.

Having said that, our committee has played like crap the last couple of years.

These players are extremely rare, I would say there are maybe 10 of them (if that) in the entire league.

Edler is probably the closet thing we have, he has upside to be a #1. Just needs to get some consistency going.

Its also great we have Hamhuis (who I consider to be a 1/2) and Garrison (who I consider to be a 2/3) as huge pieces aswell, say what you want but our defense, atleast in the top 4 is pretty strong, hopefully Bieksa can gain consistency again and be the player he was before, that would only cement this group as one of the better top 4's in the league.

All in all, I'm really glad we haven't traded Edler.

Archived