The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Green officially signs with Van as Utica coach

For most of it, except the part where they won their championship.

I understand you can't give him all the credit for developing these guys, but he is a good coach. And was involved in some way over the last 3 years with that teams success.

The players clearly responded to him as head coach.

From a succession planning standpoint, I could see Green developing the next Canucks core in Utica over the next 2 or 3 years with a view to moving over to coach the Canucks once Torts is fired and what's left of the existing core is dismantled. Same thing we did with AV and the Moose.

They also had Jones this year, unlike any other. I think Green managed them well to unite them against the rest of the league when the penalties came down, but he was handed an amazing team that was already doing very well.

I still think its a good signing, but his part in the recent success is overblown. Then again, I guess its typical of CDC to make a mountain out of a mole hill

You don't think the people who actually hired him did some thorough research on him? I'm sure they didn't just look at the Winterhawks success this season and say "I bet he's a good coach".

They likely interviewed him thoroughly, asked players and other coaches about him, and looked at his entire track record of coaching.

A good coach can make the difference between being a great team and not winning anything, and being a great team and winning it all. Players still need to be coached no matter how many superstars a team has.

Archived