The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Contract Termination] Nik Zherdev Available

Visp

Because he's only being 'dumped' due to what is considered a high contract in the KHL (1.8 million American). He was the captain of he team and by far the most dangerous offensive weapon (w/37 points in 39 games). Zhamov said it was nothing to do with character, but due to the contract.

And he's a previous 60 point player in the NHL, who is decently big, not afraid to go through players to the net and can help the Canucks shootout and PP. Most likely wanting a short-term contract to prove himself.

I remember making proposals to get this guy 3 or 4 years ago and now that we can get him only at the expense of cap space (still very valuable considering we don't have any), I'm all for it but like many have mentioned, I don't think he'll come back to the NHL and even if he did, I don't see MG going after him although he should.

Under Tortorella, Nikolay played about 16-17 minutes a night... So, Torts obviously had some trust with him. Torts who is known as no tongue biter said this to the media when the Rags were struggling in the playoffs:

"Our game breakers have to be better and Nik is a guy who can a goal and we hope he's going to do that. It's his first playoff series and this is part of the process. It's a learning experience for him and we have to try to help him as coaches."

I remember making proposals to get this guy 3 or 4 years ago and now that we can get him only at the expense of cap space (still very valuable considering we don't have any), I'm all for it but like many have mentioned, I don't think he'll come back to the NHL and even if he did, I don't see MG going after him although he should.

Archived