The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steals of the 13 Draft

Who do you think were the top steals of the draft? It was probably Jones, but as a 4th overall is that really considered a steal? I think the big russian from London might be a steal for the Sabres. The Canucks have more invested in this deep draft since the year they took both Sedins. I think Horvat and Shinkaruk will both be nhl players , but are they steals?

For steals I'd leave out the first 2 rounds personally since they are such high picks. That said, andrighetto and bjorkstrand in the late 3rd could both end up being good players down the line, worthy of higher picks. Fasching in the late 4th could end up well if he can play more consistently, was ranked in the top 30 at times in the year

If you use scout report as reference, then the following are some pretty big steal of the draft:

- jones (duh)

- hunter

- the Russia dude behind Bo

These are pretty significant picks that were way behind their projected picks. Hovat is kinda a surprised pick since his perforamce in the playoff boosted his ranking a lot higher than before

Zykov also slider pretty far behind too.

At this point it's just personal opinion backed up by on paper ratings.

The first round is usually spotty and it doesn't often look like a steal when players in the upper half develop into decent players. Most of the steals will likely be names that fell in the later rounds.

Like looking back at 2007 we don't consider Couture as steal as much as PK Subban (2nd round) and Jamie Benn (5th). Or even in the deep 2003 the biggest steals would likely go to players like Shea Weber and Patrice Bergeron in the 2nd round or Byfuglien or Enstrom in the 8th round.

He was a steal. We screwed up his development really bad though.

I'd say Jones, Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Fucale, Petan, Lipon, and Subban were the biggest steals I can think of.

If Cassels breaks out with top 6 minutes in juniour then he could be a steal as well.

Later picks have such a low chance to make the NHL that it's very hard to predict.

Out of the first rounders that have a far better chance the biggest steals are

Zadarov (16th overall) - Sabres

Nichushkin (10th overall) - Dallas

Watching the draft unfold with respect to Zadorov reminded me of watching the Lucic draft. I could not understand why people were not taking this kid with his size and hitting ability. Zadorov plays D but he can skate like a demon, shoot, stickhandle, and hit. Going to be a great player I think.

Nobody screwed up his development, AV wants 2-way players and he had to learn in the AHL for two years.

He looked really solid last season as a 2-way forward, nothing screwed up about his development.

Canucks fans are way too impatient, take a nap.

Archived