The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick one rookie to make the team

CanucksCaptain

I'd say he has the 4th line centre position locked and is there to fill in on the 3rd if none of the kids are ready. We fired the idiot who stunted rookies' development by putting them on the 4th line with AHLers regardless of suitability for the role.

Jensen will get 9 games, unless he tares it up he will probably be in the AHL for most of the year.

Gaunce will get a good look but ultimately I bet he goes back to CHL. He is only 19, and doesn't he have questionable foot speed? Would be better to let him have another year rather than throw him in with the sharks.

Horvat and Shink have very little chance to make it I bet. I would bet its another year or two before we see them up on the big club. There is no need to rush either one at this point.

Patience is key with our prospects they are all young still, I would rather them take the Couture route to the NHL rather than rush them and risk either them being a complete bust or not being able to crack the top 6.

Jensen will get 9 games, unless he tares it up he will probably be in the AHL for most of the year.

Gaunce will get a good look but ultimately I bet he goes back to CHL. He is only 19, and doesn't he have questionable foot speed? Would be better to let him have another year rather than throw him in with the sharks.

Horvat and Shink have very little chance to make it I bet. I would bet its another year or two before we see them up on the big club. There is no need to rush either one at this point.

Patience is key with our prospects they are all young still, I would rather them take the Couture route to the NHL rather than rush them and risk either them being a complete bust or not being able to crack the top 6.

Is Lain technically a rookie? He's certainly too old for junior, and thus can be sent to the AHL. For this reason I'd say he has a decent shot, probably over Gaunce, even if it's for the 4LW position. A bottom 6 of:

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Lain - Richardson - Weise

Or, we go with a Bash Brothers 4th line of:

Tostito - Lain - Archibald

Don't forget guys that Gaunce played left wing last year and center the year prior, so he could make the club at either position. I think it's between him and Corrado. Jensen will get a look with some games but probably not full time. I think offensively he is ready but Torts will want him to improve defensively.

I still think Schroeder should get the 3C spot, there's no other real spot for him. If it's Gaunce then we'll have to trade Schroeder (which I think we will anyways), but he has absolutely no trade value right now, and it will lessen even more if he loses his spot to Gaunce. The only other spot Schroeder could have would be the 2C if Kesler does play with the twins like everyone thinks. I'm sure Gaunce will get a few games to start the season, but he should sped another season in the O.

So my answer is Lain/Corrado

Archived