The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

I'm going to say, Babcock should have had Trotz and McLean among his assistants. Granted, Hitchcock and Ruff helped win in 2010, but 2014 is a different story, and you'll likely need fresh new voices.

Both these guys, they inspire respect - just give them a roster of character players, and these guys will go out into the trenches to get the job done, even when their chips are down and all seems lost. Trotz does have international experience - coaching Team Canada three times in the World Championships. McLean had experience as a player - skating for Canada at Lake Placid in 1980, game since changed but he does understand high-pressure situations. both guys won championships at lower levels, and could compete for a Cup if their teams were just a bit better.

If Babcock used these guys, along with either Ruff, Quenville, or AV, the team would really go to battle without quitting. Hitchcock and Julien might produce warriors as well, but I would have had more money on Trotz and McLean.

Except this is border-line stupidity, no offense.

If you want to call a proposal stupid, you better have a good substantial argument to back it up. There's nothing worse than people pissing all over an idea without stopping to think about it. Have you a better idea?

<p>

<br />

I truthfully think captaincy is overrated and won&#39;t make a difference.<br />

<br />

<span style="color: #ffffff">Canada&#39;s gonna miss all medals ether way</span><br />

it rarely does. The best player tends to be the ones wearing the C, but not the other way around.

My roster would look like this:

Forward:

Burrows-Crosby-St. Louis

Hall-Toews-Lecavelier

Nash-Getzlaf-Bergeron

Camalleri-Richard-Bolland

Spezza

IR: Eberle, Tavares

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook

Weber-Bouwmeester

Hamhuis-Subban

Doughty

Goal:

Luongo

Ward

Dubnyk

One thing I bet a lot of you would like is that almost half this roster come from Canadian teams, with every franchise (minus Winnipeg) represented. That's quite different from 2010, when Lu and Iggy were the only ones on Team Canada. Either way, Canadians would sure to get on board, eh?

Looking forward to seeing Luongo backstop Canada to gold again. Although I am looking forward even more to Marchand being cut. That rat b@$+@rd has no place in international competition.

True, ironically Fleury, Bertuzzi, and Lindros have been invited despite being as dirty.

But yeah, Marchant is filthy. Burrows would be a better fit - not quite as dirty, and would actually make an appropriate third winger next to Crosby and Stamkos. Can back them up with good defense and clutch offense.

My roster would look like this:

Forward:

Burrows-Crosby-St. Louis

Hall-Toews-Lecavelier

Nash-Getzlaf-Bergeron

Camalleri-Richard-Bolland

Spezza

IR: Eberle, Tavares

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook

Weber-Bouwmeester

Hamhuis-Subban

Doughty

Goal:

Luongo

Ward

Dubnyk

Troll much? Unless you're serious, then ooooookaaaaay. WHERE THE EFF IS STAMKOS???

Cammallerri, Bolland, Lecavalier? Eberle and Tavares on IR?? How??

And you can't have the new breed team without Pietrangelo. Dude's a beast. Hamuis is a longshot at best.

Troll much? Unless you're serious, then ooooookaaaaay. WHERE THE EFF IS STAMKOS???

Cammallerri, Bolland, Lecavalier? Eberle and Tavares on IR?? How??

And you can't have the new breed team without Pietrangelo. Dude's a beast. Hamuis is a longshot at best.

Once again, there was a mistake, "St. Louis" on top line, should be Stamkos. Burrows-Crosby-Stamkos for the top line.

Cammallerri gets a pick for his character, plus his style of play suits the big Olympic ice. The big clincher on him is his clutch play - my favourite example is when he helped upset the Capitals and the Penguins in 2010, before falling to Richards' Flyers. Both guys play well when cast as underdogs - put them together on the fourth line, I'm banking they'll come through strongly in the clutch.

Bolland is one of the best defensive forwards in the game, despite his dirty reputation (which ain't worse than former Olympians like Fleury, or perhaps Bertuzzi or Lindros). He can play honest defensive hockey and give some good clutch offense on that fourth line.

All right, I'm being nice to Lecavelier, letting him have a chance to medal, but if I were to change something, on this lineup it'd be to put someone like St. Louis on this line. Barring serious health issues, he is an effective warrior and character player - proved to be an exhorbitant cap mole, but still an effective warrior. Also, this combination is meant to give Toews linemates similar to Kane and Hossa. (You can suggest Perry, but I would stay away from him, since he depends on his size more than Lecavelier).

Eberle and Tavares are IRs, because their would-be roles are already filled with the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Hall, etc. I've seen people suggest putting Tavares on the top line with Crosby and Stamkos, but then, who's going to backcheck?

Pietrangalo is a good defenseman with lots of runway, but Hamuis simply has more experience on the international stage (not to mention more NHL playoff experience), and is a much steadier shut-down guy than Pietrangalo (not to mention a rare left-shooting defenseman among Olympic contestants).

All right, let's see your suggestions now.

Cammallerri gets a pick for his character, plus his style of play suits the big Olympic ice. The big clincher on him is his clutch play - my favourite example is when he helped upset the Capitals and the Penguins in 2010, before falling to Richards' Flyers. Both guys play well when cast as underdogs - put them together on the fourth line, I'm banking they'll come through strongly in the clutch.

Bolland is one of the best defensive forwards in the game, despite his dirty reputation (which ain't worse than former Olympians like Fleury, or perhaps Bertuzzi or Lindros). He can play honest defensive hockey and give some good clutch offense on that fourth line.

All right, I'm being nice to Lecavelier, letting him have a chance to medal, but if I were to change something, on this lineup it'd be to put someone like St. Louis on this line. Barring serious health issues, he is an effective warrior and character player - proved to be an exhorbitant cap mole, but still an effective warrior. Also, this combination is meant to give Toews linemates similar to Kane and Hossa. (You can suggest Perry, but I would stay away from him, since he depends on his size more than Lecavelier).

Eberle and Tavares are IRs, because their would-be roles are already filled with the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Hall, etc. I've seen people suggest putting Tavares on the top line with Crosby and Stamkos, but then, who's going to backcheck?

Pietrangalo is a good defenseman with lots of runway, but Hamuis simply has more experience on the international stage (not to mention more NHL playoff experience), and is a much steadier shut-down guy than Pietrangalo (not to mention a rare left-shooting defenseman among Olympic contestants).

All right, let's see your suggestions now.

Even if Cammalleri has a monster year, I doubt he makes the team over a guy like St. Louis who plays the same style and is better offensively than him. I'd say right now, there are about 10 guys (who didnt get an invite to the camp) ahead of Cammalleri who can play themselves on the team (Iginla, Seguin, Benn, Spezza, Jordan Staal, Marleau, Carter, Moulson, Evander Kane, Hartnell).

Pietrangelo will be on the team, barring an injury. He's one of the best young defensemen out there, who can contribute at both ends.

Giroux - Crosby - Tavares

St. Louis - Stamkos - Staal

Perry - Getzlaf - Thornton

Bergeron - Toews - Eberle

Weber - Subban

Keith - Doughty

Letang - Pietrangelo

Luongo

Price

Crawford

I like the top four in the defense there, except where is Seabrook? Letang and Pietrangelo are both more offensively minded, not quite reliable enough in their own end.

The forward crops are too imbalanced - top six too much offensive focus, no good back-checkers, put Toews in the second line maybe. I like Thornton and Perry, but they aren't a good fit for the big ice.

Price, I like his talent and overall potential - but his mental strength is suspect. That's even more important than talent - case in point (correct me if I'm wrong), but he's never backstopped the Habs past the first or second round, and in fact last season fell to a lower seeded Senators team.

Even if Cammalleri has a monster year, I doubt he makes the team over a guy like St. Louis who plays the same style and is better offensively than him. I'd say right now, there are about 10 guys (who didnt get an invite to the camp) ahead of Cammalleri who can play themselves on the team (Iginla, Seguin, Benn, Spezza, Jordan Staal, Marleau, Carter, Moulson, Evander Kane, Hartnell).

Pietrangelo will be on the team, barring an injury. He's one of the best young defensemen out there, who can contribute at both ends.

Have to agree about St. Louis - that's why my second choice would be to substitute St. Louis for Lecavelier on the second line.

Of all the other guys you mentioned, I would consider probably Carter or Iginla, based on their play on the international stage and clutch ability. However, I would revert back to the big ice - Cammellerri's style of play is better suited for the bigger ice than Carter or Iginla.

As for all the others, Cammallerri has more international experience than most of them, has outperformed many others in clutch situations, or again, is better suited for the bigger ice.

If Alex Pietrangalo makes the cut, it will come at the expense of Jay Bouwmeester, not Dan Hamhuis. Pietrangalo, for one shoots right like Bouwmeester - Hamhuis shoots left. More importantly, Pietrangalo is not as reliable defensively as Hamhuis - he's more of an offensive playmaking blueliner like Bouwmeester, albeit with a physical edge. That being said, the physical edge is not needed in the Olympics, and Bouwmeester has more experience and is a better offensive blueliner. Pietrangalo is good, but not quite good enough yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you know, J.Staal was invited and I could be wrong but I think Carter was as well.

Archived